• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Definitive APX thread

Love the APX! Most consistent putter out there and all the glide makes it a beast.

Bumping this thread b/c I got two DGA Reefs (same as an APX), one in a trade, one in cryztal z that was oh so pretty that I had to have it. Anybody else got love/hate for this mofo?

If I didn't throw a magnet I'd throw an apx for a neutral putter. Magnet is a lil more versitile for me as I am now using a magnet/wizard combo and expect alot of my mids of the tee. APX seemed money for putting though I would suggest an overstable putter to compliment.

If I didn't throw a magnet I'd throw an apx for a neutral putter. Magnet is a lil more versitile for me as I am now using a magnet/wizard combo and expect alot of my mids of the tee. APX seemed money for putting though I would suggest an overstable putter to compliment.

Hmm, sounds like my old Warlock might make a reappearance. Wouldn't hate that too much.

I have an APX Swirl I bought long ago. My friend and I were playing catch near a boat landing by the river and he hooked it right in. A different friend was down at the same place on his lunchbreak having a cigarette, and he saw something in the water that caught his eye -- my disc that had been there for months (winter had come and gone). He surprised me later that day and I was dumbfounded when he showed me what he found!

Bump

I putt with the Soft APX and really like the disc. However I would like to have it in a plastic that is firm but yet grippy. I was wondering what the Reef in the Proline plastic felt that way and if not how the proline plastic felt?

Bump

I putt with the Soft APX and really like the disc. However I would like to have it in a plastic that is firm but yet grippy. I was wondering what the Reef in the Proline plastic felt that way and if not how the proline plastic felt?

gwillim said:
DGA's "Proline" discs are all made by Discraft. The mold consistency is about the same as Dcraft, which is pretty good. The plastic a combination of Z and X plastic, and they also have Sparkle Z plastic for many of their molds, which is more difficult to find.

Overall, they make very good discs. Like anything else, if it's a disc, it will fly as well as it's thrown.

I've got a sparkle Z Reef, it feels basically like Z/champ.

They had two of em at a liquor store my house awhile back, i was gonna buy en both.....but i had purchaced 3 other putters the day before on here.

I do the same thing. Inside of 50ft I use my old, beat Pro D Magnet. Outside 50-210ft I use my FLX Challenger.

Sorry I am late to this party, but I am really digging the Soft APX. The two nicely broken in ones I have seem just soft enough to stick to the basket well. It flight gets pretty well killed two by a decent metal hit and doesn't seem to roll much. Yet it's still firm feeling enough to get a good consistent grip.

I love the way they fly off the tee and approaching also. Very straight without being flippy, and tons of glide.

Yesterday I made a 200ft (measured) deuce on a hole that had never been deuced before here! It's a shot I had previously always tried a Comet on. A semi tight low ceiling tunnel shot, with OB lining the tight fairway all the way down the left side and terrible peril if you go long of the basket. I was really intending to just throw a straight layup shot. So with the lower ceiling I tried to throw a bit of a hyzer flip, the APX flipped flat, went straigh aways and just barely started turning over slightly and hit dead center chains!

Last edited:
Had an soft APX. I bought it because they didn't have any X Putt'rs when I went to the store and I really wanted to try a neutral putter (this has been a few years back). I loved it. Beat it to absolute unrecognizable crap. Went to disc nation to replace it (after moving to austin) and saw a pile of Putt'rs and had to try 'em. I've been putting with Putt'rs ever since. I still have a soft spot for the APX though. It seemed to have more glide (both a blessing and a curse) but it didn't seem to stick in the basket for me as well as the Putt'r.

Crap, just as I want to order a black APX from Marshall St. they are all gone there now. I guess that's what I get for procrastinating.

Anybody else see a source for some black ones?

Yep, I'm restarting this thread in 2023. I've bought four APXs off ebay in the last 6 months, and they've become an extremely consistent putting putter. I really appreciate the deep handfeel and the line holding. Have two rainbow swirl Elite Pro for putts and then an X-Soft for some longer floaty approaches, then an ESP from Ledgestone '21 and not sure what that one does yet. Thinking it may become a staple putting putter so long as I can find a few more backups!

Yep, I'm restarting this thread in 2023. I've bought four APXs off ebay in the last 6 months, and they've become an extremely consistent putting putter. I really appreciate the deep handfeel and the line holding. Have two rainbow swirl Elite Pro for putts and then an X-Soft for some longer floaty approaches, then an ESP from Ledgestone '21 and not sure what that one does yet. Thinking it may become a staple putting putter so long as I can find a few more backups!
The Swirl weren't Elite Pro. Elite Pro were the first runs. Hard, slick, and flew like bricks. The Swirls were their own thing. I loved the way they looked, but they had a tendency to separate and blister, and didn't fly appreciably different from the X-Soft or chains ones...

The ESP ones are just...very similar to the firmer chains ones, with worse grip. I considered using one for a throwing putter, but the rarity and the lack of differentiation from the stable chains one I had in that slot didn't inspire me. Plus, the Ledgestone stamp is boring af... :ROFLMAO:

Overall, great putters. Truly the Comet of putters. It's a shame they went discontinued, but functionally they're near enough to the Fierce or Roach, that I get why Discraft stopped making them. Still not the same, though. It's way easier to control your power and distance with an APX, because the bead helps it slow down, and limits ground play.

Incidentally, I think I've got a few of the chains ones if you're interested, as well as either a first run stamped, or later Elite Pro one. You can't have my old throwing/putting pair though. Those are MINE! :devilish:

This is exactly why my friend uses the APX. But then again, he also throws Comets very well, so I guess saying he's a finesse player is a bit of an understatement. ;)

sleepy
Always funny to find comments about me from before I was on this site :ROFLMAO: This thread being revived put this one across my eyes...

The Swirl weren't Elite Pro. Elite Pro were the first runs. Hard, slick, and flew like bricks. The Swirls were their own thing. I loved the way they looked, but they had a tendency to separate and blister, and didn't fly appreciably different from the X-Soft or chains ones..
Ooh I hope mine don't separate and blister; hopefully since I only putt with them they won't go too quick. I really like the tackiness in the hand that the swirls have, so sounds like I probably wouldn't be a fan of first runs. Good to know before I drop more money than I should on ebay 😂

What/what plastic is the "chains" run? Might be interested.

The control difference is insane! I absolutely love the control I can get with them as a putting putter and even for some real short approaches that I don't want to actually run (Maple Hill 14-type approaches) I started out with just the x-soft, and if they didn't beat in so darn fast I would have snagged a few more. The x-soft has also been getting picked up for longer bids, and I've been drawing more metal and draining more C2 putts than ever, plus having more consistency on C1 putts with the swirl. APX has been a great late-night impulse buy that's definitely shaved strokes off my game.

20231206_131433.jpg

Ooh I hope mine don't separate and blister; hopefully since I only putt with them they won't go too quick. I really like the tackiness in the hand that the swirls have, so sounds like I probably wouldn't be a fan of first runs. Good to know before I drop more money than I should on ebay 😂

What/what plastic is the "chains" run? Might be interested.

The control difference is insane! I absolutely love the control I can get with them as a putting putter and even for some real short approaches that I don't want to actually run (Maple Hill 14-type approaches) I started out with just the x-soft, and if they didn't beat in so darn fast I would have snagged a few more. The x-soft has also been getting picked up for longer bids, and I've been drawing more metal and draining more C2 putts than ever, plus having more consistency on C1 putts with the swirl. APX has been a great late-night impulse buy that's definitely shaved strokes off my game.

View attachment 328938
Oh, okay that IS Elite Pro, actually. It's just dyed. The Swirl APX was the precursor to modern Jawbreaker or swirl plastics that Discraft run. You can see in threads about Jawbreaker plastic blistering, what the separation used to look like on the APX. It was the same thing. The Elite Pro ones were just...not as glidey as anything that came after. From my experience, only the Comet did well in that plastic. Most people who regularly threw APXs would prefer the Soft variants, be they chains or X-soft. There were also blends of Pro-D (akin to today's putter blends from Discraft, or DX from Innova) run as the DGA Reef, but mostly those were incredibly light weight, which made them unpredictable in the wind. There were also Sparkle Z Reefs, but honestly they weren't really noteworthy compared to the Pro-D blend, or the Soft APX.

The chains stamped APX was the previous blends of Soft Elite-X, before the X Soft blend. They're a little floppier, but pretty similar in terms of flight and grip.

The stamp on them looks like this:
Soft-APX_Elite-X_00-Cover-Stock.jpg

I used to throw the APX for anything shy of 250, that didn't need the harsh dump of a Zone. When I came back to disc golf post-transition and saw they'd gone discontinued, I moved on to the Fierce for that (putter blend for putts and hard, short turnovers, and Z Swirl for a throwing putter), and eventually the MVP Spin and Watt (for putts and throwing, respectively). They're still not the same as the APX, but they're good enough that I don't have to worry about throwing plastic I can never replace - you just need to put a lot of practice into distance control with them, or you'll have a lot of long comeback putts, and over-thrown approaches...

In terms of how quickly an APX beats in, the ones I have from my last pair were 8 years old when I took a break to transition, and were still flying great (despite a few pretty serious tree hits with the throwing one). It's a disc that you'll notice any form issues with though, so as they get flippy, if you don't have clean, smooth form - you're going to see them get squirrely. That's also true of the Comet, though - which like I said...the APX is basically the putter version of.

You'll have to pry my APX's (swirl and soft), from my cold, dead hands.

Tried Elite Pro, didn't like how stiff they are.
I've always preferred the feel of a relatively soft putter in my hand.

That said, if you like the way APX's throw, but prefer the feel of a stiffer putter, then those old Elite Pro APXs might be for you.

Latest posts