• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

*The Definitive DG Bag Modding Thread*

REDARMY

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
As soon as the IRS ponies up and I get my ~$1500 refund check, i'm buying a bag.

methods of waterproofing and adding quad-shocks (or some equivalent) are obviously musts, but i'd like to hear what other mods fellow dg-er's have done to their bags, and collect all of that info in one thread for others to view in the future, so share!

What have you done to YOUR bag?

I know its not much, but I sewed a patch on mine.

Astroworld was an amusement park in Houston, TX, that I loved. It was torn down in 2006. I was married there in 2000, so it meant alot to me. That patch is all I have left:

100_0027.jpg

This = AWESOME. I also did it and highly suggest.

i seen another thread here or on dgr about "coatings" to add to the bottom, i'm a sucker, so i went out and bought a can of plasti dip and coated my bag, friggin sweet heh

i play in alot of mud, and wanted an easy way to keep the bottom looking nice, easy to rinse, waterproof... and of course i'm a dork and just wanted to do something to my bag

so, here you can see my 2 diferent coats, first coat soaks in well, 2nd coat gave a nice layer of rubber across the bottom, i didnt mask it, i like the rough line look :)
bhir61.jpg

heres the whole bottom, looks weird in the pic cause the flash, really flexible, it looks rippled, but its cause the bag is loose, if i put the cage back in it, it strectches flat, flattens out ... what ever
qqr5th.jpg

i'm sure it added some weight, but its on its way to being carried for many years to come
i'm currently brainstoming what else to do, already cut the zipper pulls off and replaced with leather pulls, they looked cheap, and i like leather, and they are completly silent now - no jingle

Love the bag threads. Mods include:
1) Skooba laptop bag strap
2) homemade birdie beads
3) cardboard inner frame made from watermelon shipping container. This has lasted somewhere around 7 years.
4) best for last, quick grab strap mod. Two small carabiners and strap (parts found at REI). I don't know what that strap is actually manufactured for, but it works perfect for this.:clap:

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,071
Sewing mod, double layered.. Some tough netting material. Now small bottles won't fall through. I can toss smaller items in there too. Not a big deal, as I usually use large bottles. But it's been holding up very well since Aug 09

belly028.jpg

belly027.jpg

belly026.jpg

Reposting this here. These are non-disc golf backpack straps that work perfect. More features than the DGA gel straps:

Just got Brown Bag Company straps from MotoDJ's recommendation. They are not 'disc golf' branded and are intended for tool-belt suspenders, however they work perfectly for DG. They are very very close to DGA Gel straps. They are so close in resemblance that I'm suspect to DGA simply re-branding these straps and modifying the clips.

Amazon has them for $29.00 with free shipping. They are the best deal on straps out there.

41B76Tx8cgL._SS400_.jpg

You already mentioned this, but water proofing is one of the best things you can do. I used to work at Finish Line and they sell the water proofing spray and also demonstrate it for you. It looks really impressive in the demonstration, but the cans they use for these "demostrations" are the pure water proofer. The cans available for you to buy are about 50% as effective. Needless to say I snagged a few before I quit and have used it for all my shoes and bags since.

I also have a few patches on my bag, but that sewing job on Huk's Revo bag is SICK!!! You just got rid of the only critique I've ever heard about those.

4) best for last, quick grab strap mod. Two small carabiners and strap (parts found at REI). I don't know what that strap is actually manufactured for, but it works perfect for this.:clap:

It looks like the one that came with my last tool pouch. I've thought of trying it too but I can't find the strap. I know it's buried in my work truck somewhere.

Rubberized tool-dip coating

Just did the rubberized tool-dip coating to the bottom of my bag. We shall see how it holds up. Looks pretty cool. I bet it would work even better on a new bag.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RubberizedBag-Bottom.jpg
    RubberizedBag-Bottom.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 4,003
I am really considering doing some of this water proofing/rubberizing...do you guys have links to the products you're using?

\/\/

plasti-dip is probably the most readily available. about $7/can at Menard's, and you won't use most of the can.

clean off your bag and just brush it on there...make sure to tape off areas that you don't want it. dries completely in just a few hours.

I emptied an entire spray can of "Performix Plasti Dip" on my bag. Wish I had another half a can for one more coat. $6 at Home Depot, they also had cans of the brush-on same product ($8, I think). The spray was pretty easy and not messy at all with careful masking.

My brother is building a shade umbrella into his stroller and I am trying to get him to add one of these to it so everyone would just stand under it between holes to cool off.

I remember using one of these YEARS ago. It was pretty neat. They also had a garden hose type you could string up along your patio...and I think I saw one that was on like a 1 gallon cooler too.

That would be sweet for your brothers rig.

\/\/

The one that I bought was a personal one that fits into one of my bag cup holders with a long enough hose to cool me off while the bag is on my back. They have much bigger ones that would be awesome for his umbrella.

I did the Plasti-dip mod to my Revo Carolina, and love it. Before I started, I duct taped the inside of the drink holder, creating sort of a false bottom. Plasti-dipped over the duct tape, first coat very lightly to get a seal, then very heavily after that. Now I have a plasti-dip bottom to my Revo drink holders! I did cut a small hole in the bottom of them to prevent pooling, and suction when I take a drink out.

I will recommend that you get the bottom of your bag as clean as possible. Mine was pretty clean, and the plasti-dip is now tearing off some areas where you can tell it didn't adhere well. Nothing another coat won't fix!

I'm pretty sure my Crunch Box is getting a rubber coating sometime this week. My dad works at a Lowe's and I've got him checking out their supply of the stuff today.

I like to carry my small bag for quick jaunts on early mornings...and I don't bring a stool on those days, and the small bag doesn't sit on the stool well..and early the grass is still all wet from the morning Dew. so a nice rubber coating should be AWESOME.

\/\/

I'm pretty sure my Crunch Box is getting a rubber coating sometime this week. My dad works at a Lowe's and I've got him checking out their supply of the stuff today.

I like to carry my small bag for quick jaunts on early mornings...and I don't bring a stool on those days, and the small bag doesn't sit on the stool well..and early the grass is still all wet from the morning Dew. so a nice rubber coating should be AWESOME.

\/\/

Lowes sells it too. It's in the spray paint area.

Slightly cheaper at Home Depot though, sorry to say. :p

Latest posts