• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The direction of grip pressure: vertical or horizontal?

My index pulls up and back. My thumb pushes down and forward. Everything else pulls it into the Palm against the rim.

To elaborate, it is very similar to the Clinton thumb. Just pull the thumb back and press the bottom of the thumbpad/ top of the bone against the curl made by the top knuckle of the index finger. Keep your index curled and brace the thumb and finger against one another. Cock your wrist down. That's basically it. That's not how I get into position, that's just how envision it if I have to describe it. Lots of strong downward pressure, the thumb is basically forced to brace against its bone.

Last edited:
Avery Jenkins has the type of thumb that bends backwards, I've always thought that was an advantage to be able to grip like that.

That's exactly what I was trying to describe. It bends backwards.

Look at vids of his grip, not only does his thumb bend backwards, his base thumb joint sticks up so you can really see him getting some concentrated pressure on the flight plate in the optimal spot, imo of course.