• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Time Hockey!...

A couple of recent dyes…

image_zpsa7f1c651.jpg

image_zpsa5c35470.jpg

Thinking I might add a dark ring between the dye and outer ring on the Chiefs one.

Peace,
-Jeff

I've flattened a disc by putting boiling water in the flight plate and stacking weights on top, but it didn't make it gummy...

How can you make it gummy?

Rob Edwards, GREAT to see you back in action!

Hurricane, those images aren't appearing.

@iDiscGolf, I have no idea.

I've flattened a disc by putting boiling water in the flight plate and stacking weights on top, but it didn't make it gummy...

leave it in boiling water. 30 sec to start. let it cool. it will be more gummy. go another 30 if not gummy enough.

Found this out on accident. Leave acetone in the disc turned upside down for about 20 minutes. Check it often cause like I said I did it on accident so its not a science. Wash it off reak good and boom gummy disc

Maybe someone else is a fan Venture Brothers. Just pulled this blue, marbly star mako out after finishing the stencil part yesterday. Background is a nebula dye with red, blue, and purple, done using laundry detergent and mixing the dye with fabric softener. Set a shot glass on the back for 24 hrs.

Color leaked into stencil part, but not terribly. Kinda looks burnt, which works.

Attachments

• 0122141855a.jpg
    0122141855a.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 0122141855e.jpg
    0122141855e.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 93
It's nothing impressive, but I thought I'd contribute. It's one of my first dyes, and there's some bleeding on the letters, but I'm quite happy with it.

Also, it's a Lucid Trespass.

Attachments

• Trespass.jpg
    Trespass.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 62
I started dyeing 3 months ago. Most of my discs that are not straight tye dyes are inspired by television or books. Attached is my Breaking Bad collection.

When I do a disc that is a character, I put a quote on the back. These are, from left to right, "Who is it you think you see?", "You're nothing to me but customers!", and "I AM THE DANGER!"

Those are awesome. I wish I was better. I need to get a plotte.r

Bennett, that glow meteor scrambles my brain! :hfive:

Also, I love your work Rob Edwards.

Those are awesome. I wish I was better. I need to get a plotte.r

You don't need a plotter unless you plan on doing this for a long time, or you want perfect patterns and text. Everything else(even perfect patterns and text) is possible with sharp Exacto blades, a steady hand, and patience.

That said, I have a plotter because i knew I was hooked on disc golf, and I knew I would be dyeing for as long as I could play. I love my plotter! :hfive:

Bennett, that glow meteor scrambles my brain! :hfive:

Thank you good sir :) As always, looks even better in person!

You don't need a plotter unless you plan on doing this for a long time, or you want perfect patterns and text. Everything else(even perfect patterns and text) is possible with sharp Exacto blades, a steady hand, and patience.

That said, I have a plotter because i knew I was hooked on disc golf, and I knew I would be dyeing for as long as I could play. I love my plotter! :hfive:

This right here is also the exact same reason I have one. Also the same reason I just spent a boatload more to get me a nicer one. :)

I ENJOY doing it all by hand except for small text. I hate doing text more than anything and have thought about getting a plotter just to help out with that.

Couple of dyes I finished this week

The first was just a cool design I found and then added some color to it. It is on a Westside Discs World. Love the disc.

The second is on a Mako. I have named her Margot. She is pretty and treats me right!

Attachments

• Westside World Buzz Saw.jpg
    Westside World Buzz Saw.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 110
  • My new girl Margot.jpg
    My new girl Margot.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 95
Well I learned that 400s prodigy dyes well. ( which most of u probably already know)
I thought this was cool enough to share!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 69
Oh don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed hand-cutting. There's certainly a zen zone to it. But I was doing so much of it and so much detail/text/patterns/etc, and knew I wasn't going to stop dyeing, that a plotter became necessary. I still feel like there's nothing the plotter can do that I can't do with my hands and a sharp Exacto, but it does save me from carpel tunnel :)

Rob, good to have you dyeing again. Bring your new dyes and your LHBH to Charlotte sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.