• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy on Facebook is doing these dyes, REALLY unique and very cool, had to share the pics, they're blowing my mind right now and you KNOW that takes a lot nowadays!

10940526_10152977143200469_5841123150349539638_n.jpg

10954717_10152978881100469_402439614_n.jpg

10947490_10152978881030469_1324921769_n.jpg

^I saw those too. Really cool effect....would make a nice background. I'm guessing its a bed of SC with powder sprinkled on and then let the disc sink in overnight. Has anyone here tried this? I have not...just 'spec'ulating. :D

^I saw those too. Really cool effect....would make a nice background. I'm guessing its a bed of SC with powder sprinkled on and then let the disc sink in overnight. Has anyone here tried this? I have not...just 'spec'ulating. :D

Good call, it definitely involves powder directly on the SC/medium.

^ Those have do be done by sprinkling dye powder on what ever medium is on the disc and spun quick and stopped suddenly to make those micro streaks...

OR

Compressed air is blown at it in a single, controlled amount from a distance to cause that effect...

I am just in speculation mode here too...maybe it just is a sprinkle-n-sink job?

Dude should leave his grubby digits out of the pics...:gross:

Last edited:
Those are pretty cool! My guess would be sprinkled dye, then spun and apply wetting agent as it's spinning? Maybe... hopefully...the artist will chime in here. :popcorn:

Peace,
-Jeff

Got this star Rhyno finished tonight. This one is going in my bag!

image_zpsgjtsdel3.jpg

Now... what mold would be fitting for a Rainbow F'ing Randolph dye job?:)

Peace,
-Jeff

I have done powder on both SC and detergent and my guess is detergent. If it was SC it would have to be a very very thin layer to keep the center from spreading - the dye near the middle of these doesn't appear to have spread at all. That is also what makes me think it was not done with a spinner. So my guess is powder on detergent.

That's what this is:

picture.php

But this was done in a pan to prevent the dye from spreading. I think if I spread the powder out more (mine has large areas of mainly 1 color) and did it on a plate, it would at least look marginally similar.

I'll try it tonight with a star roadrunner I have that has a super stubborn stamp.

My guess would be a dish soap/water/minute amount of acetone mix over the entire disc (i say acetone because I don't ever see a stamp on one of those discs)..... sprinkle some dye grains over top..... and then spin it with one of the fan box setups (something that would spin faster than a record player). This is just speculation. If I had my dye shop setup I would totally try it.

I took a shot at it. First pic is of a MVP Tesla (the Mace didn't turn out well).

I took shaving cream and a small amount of acetone slightly mixed in for the bed.
Four types of idye Poly (green, blue, purple, black) set in a container and mixed around to mix colors.
I took the idye and sprinkled it lightly on top of the bed. It feels like the consistency of cinnamon, so it doesn't take much (truly a pinch). I made sure I brushed as much residue off my fingers as possible.
I was very anxious to see if it worked and didn't have a flat bed made (hence the voids).
The result was after 2 hours in the mix.

10511107_10204704121298711_4581725431294581067_n.jpg

10685555_10204704121258710_5341449586286448475_n.jpg

10346372_10204704121418714_6284442100177013960_n.jpg

Last edited:
Got this star Rhyno finished tonight. This one is going in my bag!

image_zpsgjtsdel3.jpg

Peace,
-Jeff

510.gif

Thanks! I was pleased, but there's still room for improvement,. I think next time I'll use lighter discs to accentuate the colors of the dye.

For only two hours in the mix, those look really good! And great pics of set-up/ before and after.

Posting for discguy42, cut the vinyl for him and this is his first dye!

I had one bleed and I checked and checked to not have that happen...oh well, the very small tip bleed was caused by me. I accidentally stretched the vinyl a bit getting it on the disc.

Did the red then black heated dip dye. The color is pretty solid at first look then it is transparent when held up to light. The red was sweet looking and I almost left it as is. This was a learning experience so I hit it with the black to darken the color to do some more learning.

16398083901_8f69e5d4c2_z.jpg

Posting for discguy42, cut the vinyl for him and this is his first dye!

16398083901_8f69e5d4c2_z.jpg

Thanks for the assist AND ALL the help/advice/question answering for me :clap:!

This was done on a 172 Champ Boss as a gift for a friend. I had a lot of fun doing/learning on my first dye. I know it was a simple single color but you gotta start somewhere in the dye game!

Even removing the vinyl was easier than I thought, I only had a few little spots where any residue was left and that just rolled up easily with my thumb, no cleaner required :thmbup:.

The only question left now is...what to dye next! :D

Vikings logo on a never-stamped Evo Wizard, this was for my Secret Santa(after sending him a Green Bay dye on a disc and plastic he can't stand ;) ) and was REALLY hard to get a good picture of, Evo so shiney!

16399518782_54ab426dae_z.jpg

Had to put SOMETHING on this thrower Cryztal Comet, stamp is deep so I didn't want to attempt much detail on it so I went with a Queens of the Stone Age logo:

16399519052_17c801fce4_z.jpg

I like that you guys are experimenting trying to figure out that style...I too was thinking something along the lines of dye powder maybe right on top of a sc bed or something to that effect...Maybe ill try one here soon.

Heres one i did a few months back but never posted...pretty fun one..I was hoping the soap dye would take to the gold line plastic a little better than it did. Still pretty cool though.

resizedSpinSaint_zpswoas5qon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts