• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
10958924_10204840673271687_4802906624522357491_n.jpg

1 million bonus points for the person that can handcut this one.

That's insane. I've seen some cool looking DyeMax, but nothing like that...

Second Attempt at a stencil. Hand-drawn.

Definitely an improvement, but still made mistakes cutting and I swear I had all the bubbles out, but still got bleeds when taking the vinyl off. Also didn't get it centered... Whoops!

It's almost like the dye is staining the disk while I'm removing the vinyl under the faucet.

Attachments

• 2015-02-01.jpg
    2015-02-01.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 80
Really rinse it off to make sure there's no residual dye left on the disc before you start peeling the vinyl.

Third Attempt at stencils. Finally feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I went super basic on the design this time mostly because I wanted it do another one immediately after finishing the Tesla and didn't want to cut for an hour.

I let the disc dry for about 15 mins before removing the vinyl and it not only came off easier, but I didn't get any bleeds during the process.

Finished it up with a quick watercolor effect on the old record player and then enjoyed Screaming for Vengeance while I had it out. :D

Attachments

• 2015-02-01 (1).jpg
    2015-02-01 (1).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 69
Did a little experiment on my brother's well-worn disc. I tried using crayon to mask off the stripes here. It seemed to work pretty well. I did a warm dip in red for 10 minutes or so.

20150205_160629.jpg

I'd say the crayon worked quite well! Cool technique, lots you could do with that, thanks for sharing kfeldt!

Did a little experiment on my brother's well-worn disc. I tried using crayon to mask off the stripes here. It seemed to work pretty well. I did a warm dip in red for 10 minutes or so.

:clap::clap::clap:

Always great to see some innovation! Even better when the methods are shared! I would never would have thought of that. :hfive:

Nice job, kfeldt. I've used birthday candles similarly as a mask. This was one of my first dyes from a few years ago on a dx glow teebird.
DXGlowTBird.jpg

Glad I could contribute. I have two little kids, so there is no shortage of crayons at my house!

The picture wasn't great, but most of the lines were reasonably sharp. There were a few where I was slower with the crayon and it left a fuzzier edge.

I'm going to try it on a white disc in a couple of days. I'm curious to see if the white will stay white or if some of the color will come through.

So...

After messing w/ the shaving cream/powdered idye, I've gone completely nuts. I have dyed 35 discs plus 12 in my bag over the past 9 days.

Here's the latest finished product (as there is already another in the mix)
10348185_10204752424266255_4277888677095666540_n.jpg

So...

After messing w/ the shaving cream/powdered idye, I've gone completely nuts. I have dyed 35 discs plus 12 in my bag over the past 9 days.

Here's the latest finished product (as there is already another in the mix)
10348185_10204752424266255_4277888677095666540_n.jpg

Looking good! :D

What color dye is the orange/bronze color on this? Or was the color of the disc originally?

It's been a while

After a couple of months of inactivity I have a new dye completed.

Attachments

• Boss 3.jpg
    Boss 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 95
Just finished up a long overdue commission on a D3. Still have a couple more to work on before I can start my Valentine's day contest entry.
Thanks to Bennett (the Bama fan) for the stencil. :D :thmbup: :hfive:
image-2_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.