• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting started in the oh so addictive hobby. I did the direct dye method of sprinkling idye-poly directly onto the disc. Then added some water to shaving cream in hopes it would slowly smear away from the middle. Didn't know that to expect which is part of the fun.

I didn't anticipate the modeled blotchy look but stoked on the randomness of the outcome.

The last obviously a glue dye. I used Rit Dye More, made for synthetics. It's a liquid, I used it full strength on a plate and floated the disc upside down of course for 2-4 hours per color. The bright pink/red took really strong and quickly, the Kentucky Sky blue was slower to take but I'm happy with the color combo.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 126
Some more direct dyes sprinkling powdered idye poly on top then spreading some shave cream with just a bit of water added.

Attachments

• IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3362.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 73
Couple do-overs of some oldies but goodies.

Fun discs to do; minimal cutting, lots of painting. I think they both turned out better than the first ones.

picture.php

picture.php

Couple do-overs of some oldies but goodies.

Fun discs to do; minimal cutting, lots of painting. I think they both turned out better than the first ones.

picture.php

picture.php
I knew they were dyed by you!!! Bunch of dye dudes going nuts over on fb like who did this? I was like I'm pretty sure I know who it is...great work man! You never cease to amaze. Wish I had the patience and the painting skills to pull off one like that :hfive:

I knew they were dyed by you!!! Bunch of dye dudes going nuts over on fb like who did this? I was like I'm pretty sure I know who it is...great work man! You never cease to amaze. Wish I had the patience and the painting skills to pull off one like that :hfive:

Awesome work RB3 :clap:!

Good to see you back Odyssey :thmbup:, you been spinning anything lately?

Self edit, Yes you have, just checked your face book and man have your combo dyes skills grown! You need to get those new dyes posted in here ASAP!

Last edited:

I couldn't help but share a pic, they are amazing.

Awesome work RB3 :clap:!

I couldn't help but share a pic, they are amazing.

oh my :thmbup:

Thanks guys. I figured people would like these; album art is always a fan favorite.

Odyssey, I'm still waiting for those videos. :popcorn:

I have a couple that are cut that need to be dyed, but my last project rewarded me with golfers elbow.

Remember, stretch and take breaks kids. Luckily throwing doesn't effect it very much at all.

I've got one that's got the stencil work done. Just need to get the background finished up. I was waiting to post till it was all finished but thought I could be "someone who was dyeing something."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 111

I posted this in the "Discs" subforum but know not everyone reads all the forums so...here we go. My first dye that even looks close to something good. It's my first iDye Poly dye as well. I like the end result, even though I'm not sure I could duplicate it.

What surprised me was how easy it was. Mix some shaving cream with acetone (I think this helps, I'm a total rookie), throw some powder on, press disc down into it. Wait two hours. Done.

Either way, this dye is so much better than the new Rit I have, which didn't take at all. I want to get some more colors and do some more experimenting. :)

Edit: One question: In Skins' Alias dye above, the stamp is intact. Why did mine dye and his didn't?

Last edited:

I posted this in the "Discs" subforum but know not everyone reads all the forums so...here we go. My first dye that even looks close to something good. It's my first iDye Poly dye as well. I like the end result, even though I'm not sure I could duplicate it.

What surprised me was how easy it was. Mix some shaving cream with acetone (I think this helps, I'm a total rookie), throw some powder on, press disc down into it. Wait two hours. Done.

Either way, this dye is so much better than the new Rit I have, which didn't take at all. I want to get some more colors and do some more experimenting. :)

Edit: One question: In Skins' Alias dye above, the stamp is intact. Why did mine dye and his didn't?

My guess was the acetone worked the stamp over during the soak.

I have also seen where some brands of sc have eaten away at foil stamps too.

My guess was the acetone worked the stamp over during the soak.

I have also seen where some brands of sc have eaten away at foil stamps too.

Yup. Anything with acetone is going to destroy your stamps. Most SC, and even some detergents will do the same, to a lesser degree. The Alias stamp probably survived the SC because MVP/Axiom stamps are generally tougher to remove than most.

I'm in the process of dying a "me gusta kirby" on my pink buzz, it could either turn out great or really crappy.... Why do they have to make the edges of the stamp raised!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.