• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dyed this Proton Soft Anode yesterday. It's dark purple so the only color i could really use is black! From the top the dye looks black, but in the light looking through the disc the dye looks purple :cool:! The only thing i'm curious about is when i wiped the stamp i thought there was more ink/stamp on the disc (because MVP is known for deep hot stamps) when i wiped it again it smeared/dulled the plastic! Has anyone else found MVP discs to smear easily?

Attachments

• DSCF2846.jpg
    DSCF2846.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF2848.jpg
    DSCF2848.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 66
The only thing i'm curious about is when i wiped the stamp i thought there was more ink/stamp on the disc (because MVP is known for deep hot stamps) when i wiped it again it smeared/dulled the plastic! Has anyone else found MVP discs to smear easily?

In my experience wiping stamps with acetone *always* dulls the sheen on the plastic - That's why I prefer blanks...

In my experience wiping stamps with acetone *always* dulls the sheen on the plastic - That's why I prefer blanks...

I would prefer blanks also, but this is the first disc it's done it to in a while! The only other time acetone does this IME is when the can is low,..it is not. The discs i did a couple weeks ago, which were Innova did not smear!

My Okthrowberfest entry:
10251677963_8bd535071c_z.jpg

10251669873_2d9bc81399_z.jpg

Austin Turner Innova disc:
10422006763_a38eff7f4f_z.jpg

Did this a while ago, let it go at the Bradford Open for a raffle drawing. Bart Simpson, Nevermind:
10421865666_4b6c99124a_z.jpg

Champ Glow Gator, Ace of Spades:
10421840814_822158e8c7_z.jpg

Wow, the glow version of the Octhrowberfest entry is sweet! Well, both are, but it kept an impressive amount of glow after the dye.

Since I've got the time (math test on Monday and I've really been packing in the study time) my Okthrowberfest entries were "Left the Remote in There..." and "Autumn's Fury." Big ol' thank you to all who voted for me, 7th and 9th place isn't the worst for my first year in and hopefully I can do better next year!

In the meantime, gotta hone the skills right? Here's my latest!

Attachments

• PA201904.jpg
    PA201904.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 181
  • PA221914.jpg
    PA221914.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 163
^^ That phoenix is one of the sweetest dyes I've ever seen. Seriously.

And I loved both your Ok entries, especially "Left the Remote in There." The detail and design composition is excellent!

Awesome work Fantom! "Autumns Fury" was my 1st vote choice. I loved the color theme on it.:thmbup:

The color work in "left remote" was great too.

Bennett, the color work on the "13th" won my vote as well. Thanks for the work you do to make this happen for all of us to see. :clap:

My other fave was "Rise Above" for the color of the disc and the single color done as a dip dye.:thmbup:

Any of the entrants want to chime in and let us in on the thought process and a description of how the dye was done. I would definitely like to hear about it.

I know this one didn't do well, but I'll let you know what I did / learned on the way. This is the second dye job I've done and the first was a very simple one.

This is a white Star Mako that I had to wipe the stamp on. In the future, I'd use a blank disc for something that I can't have bleed. All of the black was done as a dip and the color was added with a brush. I used iDye Poly and laundry detergent to get a paint-like consistency. I chose not to use alcohol or acetone, as I didn't want to complicate things further at this point. The leaves, I attempted to do a 3-color look to them, since that's they was the oak leaves in my neighborhood were looking at the time. I was surprised at the hard edges I got to the colored areas as I painted the dye on. As for the letters, unfortunately the camera didn't pick it up well, but it fades from a vibrant red to a lighter shade. That actually did work well! All of the bleed spots were areas where the logo raised the vinyl. I've since found a hair-dryer works well to tack those areas down, when paired with a good rub-down with a vinyl application card.

picture.php

Since I've got the time (math test on Monday and I've really been packing in the study time) my Okthrowberfest entries were "Left the Remote in There..." and "Autumn's Fury." Big ol' thank you to all who voted for me, 7th and 9th place isn't the worst for my first year in and hopefully I can do better next year!

In the meantime, gotta hone the skills right? Here's my latest!

both in my top 5, Autumn's Fury in my top 2 :thmbup:. what is Autumn's Fury on?

Wow, thanks for the kind words everybody! It sure made for a great morning to get up and see all of that and it means a lot to me, coming from you guys!

"Autumn's Fury" is a GL Halo. This one is a 9 layered dip, 2 shades of black, 3 red, 2 orange and 2 yellow (with some white remaining). I hand cut the stencil and dipped from darkest to lightest, cutting and peeling as I went. I used the same technique on the Phoenix I posted.

"Left the Remote In There..." is a First Run GL Mace. Other than the insides of the letters and outside of the doors (black dip) the entire disc is hand painted.

Nice work there, fantom! Cool images. Your contest entries were awesome.

Congrats again to everyone who entered this year. There were a lot of great discs.
I was going to share my entry here, but photobucket seems to be acting screwy for me right now. For anyone who hadn't guessed, my entry was Raven's Roost. The disc is a white 175 Star Katana.
It is all hand painted with no vinyl stencil used for outlines, but I did use some clear contact paper to mask the main subjects while I did the background. I started with a light grey outline of lots of acetone and a little black idye 'sketched' on with a bamboo skewer. Once it was laid out I covered the disc in contact paper and cut out the sky. Orange is a mix of rit tangerine, lemon yellow and some idye red mixed with acetone and applied with an airbrush. Next I remasked the sky and exposed the bottom half. That is a mix of idye blue and red plus some black with acetone done mostly with a brush and cotton balls. I then unmasked the skull and raven and sharpened outlines with a little stronger mix of black (paint brushes and skewers). A little toning of the skull with some yellow/tan was followed by various shades of light blue throughout the raven. Grey shading on both followed by all the brushwork detailing that went into the wings.
It really does look better in person (for now). I'm pleased with how it came out and now am wishing I would have done it on GL rather than star plastic so the image would stay crisp for a few extra months before the inevitable blur.
For now the disc remains in the freezer to slow the process. I don't throw katanas so it is available for sale or trade.
Glad to be part of this awesome contest/site/addiction/hobby. Learned all I know here and hope that I'm able to teach a little along the way as well.

Today's dye is Judge Dredd on a Fuzion Judge :)

10447959593_9df5f238f6_c.jpg

Thanks to everyone involved with the Okthrowberfest contest this year!

^^Brian, that's the one I voted on so quickly, I hadn't read that I could vote for three. Brilliant color (I LOVE that sky), and of course the artistic talent is off the charts. Congrats on your 'win place or show' finish! :clap:

Who You Callin Sweetheart?

Hey all,

I want to say thank you to everyone that participated and voted in the Okthrowberfest dye competition. I was not expecting to even place this year so I'm still completely shocked to have won. I had a great time participating in the competition and want to sincerely thank Bennett for hosting the tourney. For those of you who didn't see my entry, I have posted that along with a disc I just finished last night. Thanks again everyone for your support. If you have any questions about my dye job, I would be happy to answer.

DTP, that Raven was completely next level. I can't believe how detailed that is, all the way down to the details on the bird's foot. Thanks for sharing your methods with us, although I doubt anyone can do anything remotely close to your artistry.

Attachments

• Okthrowberfest Submission.jpg
    Okthrowberfest Submission.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20131024_082146.jpg
    IMG_20131024_082146.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20131024_184805.jpg
    IMG_20131024_184805.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 88
sorry its been a min, a couple dyes i did for trophy discs and others i had for sale at the brys ace race last weekend here in metro detroit...

Attachments

• nukebuzzz.jpg
    nukebuzzz.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 65
  • ringoffire.jpg
    ringoffire.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 65
  • stalkernickfury.jpg
    stalkernickfury.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 75
a group shot of the trophy buzzz's and one fun design...

Attachments

• spiderbrys.jpg
    spiderbrys.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 106
  • tripletrophies.jpg
    tripletrophies.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 71
  • spiralhornet.jpg
    spiralhornet.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 71
Great job this year guys! I started dyeing around 9 months ago, so this was my first Okthrowberfest. I will definitely be participating next year, hopefully with 2 dyes!

My dye was predominantly dip-dyed, with marbling in the sky, and a little painting for the shading. I hand-cut the black and colored portions of the dye, and did a lot of masking and remasking with the contact paper I am using. I've only used contact paper (that's all Walmart had), but I've come to like it. I like how it is see-through, and I am diligent with my smoothing, so I don't have any trouble with bleeding.

I used the shaving cream method for the sky, which came out pretty blue. I did some quick dips in black to darken the blue sky, but it ended up coming out a little too dark for my liking. It essentially eliminated the clouds I created with the marbling. The shading within the horse, clothes, moon, and cobblestone was painted on with shaving cream mixed with my diluted dye I use for dipping (that's all I have). This might have been the most tedious part of the dye, as it took multiple coats to get even the faintest of shading. That is most likely due to the fact that all the dye I have has already been dissolved in water, weakening its dyeing power when painting. In the future, I will be purchasing more iDye so that I can mix it with the detergent to use for painting on with more detail.

This was an awesome contest, and I'm already thinking of ideas for next year! Thanks to everyone who voted for me! I still can't believe I edged out DyeingToPlay for 2nd, as I feel that his dye was definitely more deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts