• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part III)

First time trying saran wrap. Learned something I wish anyone ever mentioned. Make sure the weight you choose pushes down on the center of the disc. As you can see there is a fair bit of negative, lightly dyed, and shadowy lines in the center. I used a barbell weight that was about disc size so it say on the rim. Heavier or small enough to sit in the rim should have fixed that. Ah well.

Attachments

• 20170108_221926.jpg
    20170108_221926.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 213
"The Blue Morpho is a bad guy"
-The Blue Morpho

Number 4 in the Prodiscus/VB set, on a Jokeri that Ive been using for 2 seasons.

picture.php

I was a bit disappointed in the lettering on the Princess Bride Disc. I learned to rinse longer before peeling and decided to scissor cut the letters for the other two so that they would be cleaner.

I learned to rinse longer before peeling and decided to scissor cut the letters for the other two so that they would be cleaner.

I do the dip dye (so far) and go straight from the dye bath to the freezer and let it sit while I dip the next disc.

After, I rinse the freezer disc under water cool and gradually warm it up to make the vinyl stencil more easy to peel away.

Now you know my secret! :D

Haven't Seen this before

A friend of mine found out I was doing dyes and gave me his beat up Pro Wraith that he uses for Tomahawks to try and dye. It was cream colored with a blue swirl. I was mixing some iDye Poly red for painting and threw a pretty small amount of the powder into a 44 cent bottle of glue (poured out some glue and added water. Stirred with a bamboo skewer). I went to town with the glue and let it sit in my garage for about two hours. The glue wasn't fully dry, but rinsed off super easy. Here is the final result. The original swirl popped its way through.

Haven't heard of anyone using the glue as the dye yet. But its super easy and the rinse was quick.

Attachments

• IMG_20170118_213559051.jpg
    IMG_20170118_213559051.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 191
Glue is commonly used in dyeing, but opposite of how you used it. i.e. put glue on the disc and let it dry, then dye the uncovered areas. Good idea to use the glue as the dye, looks cool :clap:

I see so many cool multi-colored dyes that you guys have done, but I am nervous about trying one myself with only a about five stencils under my belt. I am hoping that this might work as a way to control the dye when I try my first multi-colored dye.

w008ets

I use glue all the time to mask discs when I do a multi color stencil/paint dye it works awesome. I re-apply glue several times to keep the colors from mixing and to keep bleed from occurring when I rinse a color. Just make sure it is dry or you can get funky lines or ghosting.

I see so many cool multi-colored dyes that you guys have done, but I am nervous about trying one myself with only a about five stencils under my belt. I am hoping that this might work as a way to control the dye when I try my first multi-colored dye.

Maybe try a single color, multi shade stencil first. More complex than a single shade, but not quite as daunting as multiple colors. Also less likely to need a re mask.

Don't be nervous - like playing the game, just have fun with it.

For your first one, you could try a design where your first color is black, then you can dye a second color right over it. Or try painting on your dye after the first one or two colors. That's actually how I've done most of my multi-color dyes.

A friend of mine found out I was doing dyes and gave me his beat up Pro Wraith that he uses for Tomahawks to try and dye. It was cream colored with a blue swirl. I was mixing some iDye Poly red for painting and threw a pretty small amount of the powder into a 44 cent bottle of glue (poured out some glue and added water. Stirred with a bamboo skewer). I went to town with the glue and let it sit in my garage for about two hours. The glue wasn't fully dry, but rinsed off super easy. Here is the final result. The original swirl popped its way through.

Haven't heard of anyone using the glue as the dye yet. But its super easy and the rinse was quick.

I'm a little surprised it stayed wet long enough for the disc to absorb the dye. It's cool though, I may have to try that.

For some reason I feel as though all my transparent, red discs need to be zombie themed...

I used transparency paper vs. regular paper for my stencil this time. Botched her left eye just a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20170126_192133075.jpg
    IMG_20170126_192133075.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20170126_211030332.jpg
    IMG_20170126_211030332.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 162
Messing around a bit more tonight. Top to bottom, left to right. Glow wraith I wanted more blue, but took it out too soon. Nightwing wraith, had to off center it a bit to cover some dark spots that caused it to be an xout. Audrey hepburn vector. Ron Swanson jolly Roger on a misprint switch I did a little while back. And leia on a misprint resistor. U smeared it a bit cleaning off the vinyl residue.
wxfB1i8.jpg

The stupid wraith I've had all the issues with caused more. I bagged it for a round and the ink bleed onto half a dozen discs. The jolly swanson had it the worst, but it doesn't look like it really showed in picture. Took a bunch of acetone to the wraith from hell and it comes off fairly pink, so blue champ plus pink dye is black, I guess. And I dripped a big pink splotches on a disc that set immediately. Looks kinda like I bled on it.

Latest posts