• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part III)

almost there...

And an eagle on an eagle...
IMG_20161218_141006517_HDR_zpsllmsh3no.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

but because this is the DYE-A-DAY thread, here is my first dye job. Rit liquid dye for synthetics, denim blue, (plus dawn dishwashing liquid and a tiny bit of acetone) applied with the crinkled plastic bag marbling technique at room temperature with a 20 hour soak time on an originally clear Gateway Evolution Diamond plastic Element. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I think I'll be trying some bright yellow worm dye on the rim for increased visibility.
IMG_20161225_134910672_zpscpwtfcsg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10th disc I've dyed, finally feel like I'm getting the hang of it. Learned a lot of what not to do on this one, but I'm pretty satisfied on how it came out

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 179
Mmmmmmmmm, '63 split window coupe; you a gear-head? I've been a 'vette man since high school and now I'm wrenching on one in the garage.

Either way, sweet Skerple skills!

I ended up buying every color that Sharpie makes and there are still huge gaps in the lineup. Do you find yourself wishing they had more steps in between the colors?

First try ever !!

I had some stencils cut by twistedmangled and used a dye bath of violet iDye poly. :hfive:

It was fun, learning how to make vector art out of anything, brainstorming what would be nice on a disc, the whole process was awesome and now I can't wait to do some more.

The first disc I did is a blue Champion Destroyer with Bubbles from the 90's Powerpuff Girls hugging her toy octopus.

I chose violet so it would be more like a mimeograph onto a disc. I know black is usually the go-to, but I didn't want the dye bath to fade from black to gray. I thought it would be more compelling on champ plastic if the contrast were still high like black, but less aggressive.

What do you think? I have three others from this first batch. I'm so proud :)

Attachments

• user78548_pic36054_1482635046.png.jpeg
    user78548_pic36054_1482635046.png.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 118
Nice Work!

The other three are Blossom, an Liverpool FC Liverbird, and Gonzo fist.

Hey those turned out super good! Nice crisp lines and no runs. Really nice work for your first dyes. You keep that up and you will be doing multi-colors, more detailed artwork and then before you know it everything in your bag will be dyed.

Queen, those are outstanding.
Marm, yes, I am a gear-head of sorts. Mostly motorcycles, but the old 'vettes are undeniably classic. And yes, the gaps in the sharpie palette are almost painful, and I don't have the patience to go wild with impressionist/pointalism/stippling.

Looking at the plastic bag marbling result is giving me an idea, but I'll have to get a different color of dye, and figure out which of my arsenal is going to be sacrificed to the experiment. If it works even half as well as I hope, I'll post it here.

Thanks Coppertop! It's a team effort for sure. Couldn't have done it without Twistedmangled.
Your Skerple skills are great. I have a pair of white DX polecats for putting league and now you've got me brainstorming.
Does the color bleed much? what's your process?

Thanks Coppertop! It's a team effort for sure. Couldn't have done it without Twistedmangled.
Your Skerple skills are great. I have a pair of white DX polecats for putting league and now you've got me brainstorming.
Does the color bleed much? what's your process?
No, the color will not bleed. Check my thread in this forum for aged photos. I have some from 15 years ago that have not bled.

If the DX is waxy then the Sharpie will rub off when that part of the drawing hits something. If you don't draw on the perimeter then rubbing off isn't anything to worry about. If the DX blend is not waxy then don't worry about the Sharpie rubbing off.

EDIT: I forgot that my thread has some of the older photos missing but the newer ones are still there... including a Polecat I just did a few days ago :)

Good luck and please post your results!

Marm, yes, I am a gear-head of sorts. Mostly motorcycles...
Awesome, what do you ride?
I have only had metrics. Right now I am on an ST1300 which I love but I have also been daydreaming about building a Sportster with one of those Hammer big bore kits.

With your more technical style drawing I bet you could do an awesome version of your bike in a disc :)

I had some stencils cut by twistedmangled and used a dye bath of violet iDye poly. :hfive:

It was fun, learning how to make vector art out of anything, brainstorming what would be nice on a disc, the whole process was awesome and now I can't wait to do some more.

The first disc I did is a blue Champion Destroyer with Bubbles from the 90's Powerpuff Girls hugging her toy octopus.

I chose violet so it would be more like a mimeograph onto a disc. I know black is usually the go-to, but I didn't want the dye bath to fade from black to gray. I thought it would be more compelling on champ plastic if the contrast were still high like black, but less aggressive.

What do you think? I have three others from this first batch. I'm so proud :)
So Inkscape worked for you?

Awesome, what do you ride?
I have only had metrics. Right now I am on an ST1300 which I love but I have also been daydreaming about building a Sportster with one of those Hammer big bore kits.

With your more technical style drawing I bet you could do an awesome version of your bike in a disc :)

A 1982 BMW R100S is my main ride, with a somewhat street-trackerized Honda XL600R for scratching other itches. I'll have to look back through some of my sketch books. I might have done a pen and ink of the beemer that could be re-done on a disc. Maybe I'll do that instead of the cobra on a cobra I had planned.

ESP Buzzz with Violet iDye Poly

Bubbles in Love on a brand new max weight ESP Buzzz !!
There's a little bit of bleed because the factory stamp was really deep.

I did my best. :eek:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 55