• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part III)

picture.php
That is superdope.

The first one is my favorite. Especially if you hand cut that. The optical illusion of circles in all the intersections is awesome.

The first one is my favorite. Especially if you hand cut that. The optical illusion of circles in all the intersections is awesome.

Thanks! I gave up on hand-cutting and bought a cheap plotter pretty early on in my learning process. Hand-cutting made my ADD rage...

I just looked through some of your dyes and they are what the young'ns would call "super dope". Do you use an airbrush? I only ask because I just picked one up, but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

Nope. I've thought about it, but never wanted to drop the money and spend the time learning to use it well.

Nope. I've thought about it, but never wanted to drop the money and spend the time learning to use it well.

I was just at Harbor Freight grabbing some tools for work and saw a "detail" airbrush kit for $10. Certainly won't be of phenomenal quality, but it had an adjustable brass tip and would certainly work for testing some airbrush dyeing.

I was just at Harbor Freight grabbing some tools for work and saw a "detail" airbrush kit for $10. Certainly won't be of phenomenal quality, but it had an adjustable brass tip and would certainly work for testing some airbrush dyeing.

It also just seems really messy, and involves acetone (at least, I imagine you'd need an acetone mix in the brush). Both things that are not good for me in my small, poorly ventilated apartment. I already inhale too much acetone just wiping stamps. :sick:

I may eventually try one, but next on my list are making a gradient dyer and upgrading the spinner from a box fan to a turntable.

It also just seems really messy, and involves acetone (at least, I imagine you'd need an acetone mix in the brush). Both things that are not good for me in my small, poorly ventilated apartment. I already inhale too much acetone just wiping stamps. :sick:

I may eventually try one, but next on my list are making a gradient dyer and upgrading the spinner from a box fan to a turntable.

I have the same issues w/the small apartment, which is why I have yet to play around w/the airbrush. Can you explain to me what a gradient dyer is?

I have the same issues w/the small apartment, which is why I have yet to play around w/the airbrush. Can you explain to me what a gradient dyer is?
A gradient dyer is a tub of dye that allows the dye to leak out. Basically, you put a disc in vertically and as the dye level gets lower the lower part of the disc will get darker as it's exposed to dye longer.

*edit*

Here's an old thread on it.

A gradient dyer is a tub of dye that allows the dye to leak out. Basically, you put a disc in vertically and as the dye level gets lower the lower part of the disc will get darker as it's exposed to dye longer.

*edit*

Here's an old thread on it.

Ahh, thanks for the reply. Would you/someone normally vinyl the back of the disc when doing a gradient or just do both sides??

Now when the season is off, I needed to come up with alternative ways to spend the almost nonexistent free time (two kids, two dogs, wife and a 50-60 h/week job). I got inspired in dyeing once again. Here's few of my latest ones. The yellow in iron man is DyeLine dye. New product for me that I found in a local disc golf store. They said it's specially made for dyeing plastic. Didn't find any source on this while googling. Has anybody else tried those colors? I also had a blue one and it worked nice with rubbing alcohol on a work still in progress. iDye Poly Blue was a catastrophe with rubbing alcohol.

Discs: Iron Man - Lucid Defender, The other one - Opto Pure

Attachments

• iron man.jpg
    iron man.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 113
  • pure hässäkkä.jpg
    pure hässäkkä.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 162
Glo Buzzz and a blizzard katana.

The text was done in sharpie, I wasn't about to spend that kind of time hand cutting letters just to have them bleed on me.

I got a lot of bleed on the lorax and around the disc. The contact paper was mediocre at best. I need to pick up actual vinyl.

Attachments

• IMG_20161021_223847~01.jpg
    IMG_20161021_223847~01.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20161021_224140~01.jpg
    IMG_20161021_224140~01.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20161011_145400~01.jpg
    IMG_20161011_145400~01.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 155
And this was to try out the saran wrap method. I dig it.

Purple iDye Poly on a pink opto bolt

Attachments

• IMG_20161030_125916~01.jpg
    IMG_20161030_125916~01.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 144
Thanks!

I just got this peach buzzz misprint in a mystery box. Didn't really know what to do with it. Just needed to make it less ugly. Last night I did this quick.

I got vinyl this time, MUCH better lines on the cuts.

Attachments

• IMG_20161102_173506~01.jpg
    IMG_20161102_173506~01.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20161104_173409~01.jpg
    IMG_20161104_173409~01.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 123
Saw this done on a few other discs. Thought I'd give it a shot on my champion beast because I hated the way it looked. I'm happy with it for a quick job.

I wish there was a way to make opaque black on translucent plastic. Maybe there is and I just haven't found the product or method.

Attachments

• IMG_20161109_201927~01.jpg
    IMG_20161109_201927~01.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 111
I wish there was a way to make opaque black on translucent plastic. Maybe there is and I just haven't found the product or method.

I don't know about opaque, but idye black will get very, very dark black if you give it enough time, especially with heat. Just let it sit in the dye for a few days.