• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so, I wasn't going to post this 'cuz so many things went wrong with it, I'm not too proud of it, but I wanted to show the results of Lopan's "Line Cutting Tool For Plotterless Disc Dyers". It's not easy to use (at least not the first time), but I could never have done those lines with a single blade. Ingenious! And I think the lettering turned out decent for hand-cut. However, the whole disc turned light brown (with an orange spot) which also darkened the other colors too much. I dye at 100 degrees, so I know it wasn't from overheating. I also got the obvious bleed by Homer's hair, and I failed to weed the piece under his right eye :doh: After not dyeing anything really since spring, I feel like a noob again. :(
CIMG8559.jpg
[/IMG]

still a nice job overall, Koogs! I think the homemade line cutter worked great. And your hand cut lettering came out great. Are you using a 360 swivel blade?
I did my son's disc for him before ever reading about Lopan's line tool. Pretty happy with the outlines....
29.jpg

Another one for my son (some band I've never heard of) the 'S's really show my lack of hand cut lettering skills
StarTRex.jpg

still a nice job overall, Koogs! I think the homemade line cutter worked great. And your hand cut lettering came out great. Are you using a 360 swivel blade?

No, I use the standard blade. My choice of lettering was a big mistake though. Notice how all the letters are round on top and bottom? WTF was I thinking? :doh:

OK, so, I wasn't going to post this 'cuz so many things went wrong with it, I'm not too proud of it, but I wanted to show the results of Lopan's "Line Cutting Tool For Plotterless Disc Dyers". It's not easy to use (at least not the first time), but I could never have done those lines with a single blade. Ingenious! And I think the lettering turned out decent for hand-cut. However, the whole disc turned light brown (with an orange spot) which also darkened the other colors too much. I dye at 100 degrees, so I know it wasn't from overheating. I also got the obvious bleed by Homer's hair, and I failed to weed the piece under his right eye :doh: After not dyeing anything really since spring, I feel like a noob again. :(
CIMG8559.jpg
[/IMG]

what is this?

Koogs having the lettering randomly slanted forgives most all cutting mistakes, you just don't notice them near as much as fonts with long straight lines and right angles. I think it's a great choice, what is it?

I'm impressed with the use of the twin blades, man all your lines are exactly the same size, that's pretty cool! It's a nice disc, fill in the ear and cheek with a little paint and the rest are just minor flaws.

Lopan's "Line Cutting Tool For Plotterless Disc Dyers

This is the practice of using mini vice grips to hold two exacto blades and a spacer between them. Seems to work pretty good for cutting parallel lines.

Hyzer- love than crayon look. The simpsons ones are funny even though I don't watch it.

Great stuff guys, don't knock on the mistakes, learn from them! The disc is great though, and those lines and text are very, very good.

Koogs having the lettering randomly slanted forgives most all cutting mistakes, you just don't notice them near as much as fonts with long straight lines and right angles. I think it's a great choice, what is it?

I'm impressed with the use of the twin blades, man all your lines are exactly the same size, that's pretty cool! It's a nice disc, fill in the ear and cheek with a little paint and the rest are just minor flaws.

Thanks. Yeah, the random look of the lettering is why I chose it, but all the roundness of it might have offset that advantage. Offhand, I don't know what the font is, I just looked at a bunch of them till I found the look I liked. The twin blade thing is great. It takes a little practice to get the right pressure on it. At first, I alternated between not cutting all the way thru, then cutting thru the backing. This will let me do images I've previously passed up. And this was the last dye I will do with 3M vinyl. I ordered some Oracal 651 last night. Solomon.trenton, your question was answered by Dan. I'll post a pic of it when I get time (all credit to Lopan). Thanks, Bennett for the compliment. :)

For the Team

Heres my first dye ever. GO Brewers! Its on a DX Whippet. The dye didn't take that well, but the colors came out ok

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 46
It was all my idea

I can't take all the credit, it was a combined thinking effort at work... and a final what if moment that i sent to Yawpstang, he made it come to life!
I am always the one going the wrong way on the mando holes... BOOOO!

It was all my idea all he added to it was the fact he wanted a Homer disc lol

Lopan's "Line Cutting Tool For Plotterless Disc Dyers

This is the practice of using mini vice grips to hold two exacto blades and a spacer between them. Seems to work pretty good for cutting parallel lines.

I used this idea, except I simply super-glued two razor blades together with a couple pennies in between them as spacers. It's pretty easy to make, and only takes a few cuts to get used to the added kerf of the cut and weight of the blades. I use utility razors(the trapezoid shaped kind) rather than exacto blades, so that may be part of it seeming easy for me.

This is how I used it. The closeup shows the blades being spaced by a 3rd blade, set back slightly. If you want wider lines, you space it with coins, washers,etc.

Attachments

• CIMG8562.jpg
    CIMG8562.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG8563.jpg
    CIMG8563.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG8565.jpg
    CIMG8565.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.