• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The First Ace Race in Minnesota 2012

smarkquart

* Ace Member *
Our amateur league is hosting our second annual Discraft Ace Race. It is also the first one in Minnesota for the year.

We are going to bring out numerous portable baskets and fill in the gaps between holes at Becker to make an Ace Race course that includes almost every possible kind of shot.

We were very pleased with last year's turnout and results, but we are looking to make it bigger and better. Throw on top of that that we are going to be the first Ace Race of the year in Minnesota so you can be the first to get your hands on the new prototype, and you have a tournament you just cannot miss.

If you are on this website, you pretty much know the drill. Drop me a PM or email me directly at [email protected] and I can get you hooked up. All money and registration information is due Thursday, July 19th.

ugh! Why must it be on the same day as a B-tier tourney?! Lame

The Eastwood Shootout at Lakewood Hills? Well, that is unfortunate. I believe I was on the MFA Calendar first for that date. Either way, we picked this date because it is the first available Saturday you can have an Ace Race. We could not do it any later because our league is heading to Highbridge for our annual road trip. By September there will have been numerous Ace Races already and with the big GGGT Ace Race in October, who are we going to draw?

That is unfortunately the way it is, sorry. Yes, we will lose some high end players to a B Tier, but hopefully we will draw in those who have never played in an Ace Race before, want to see what the sport is about, and or are generally interested in being one of the first to get the new prototypes.

I wish they would release the disc!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any kind of hint or legitimate rumor would help create a ton of interest and excitement.

The lengths and layout of our holes are not going to greatly change no matter the disc, but knowing what we are working with in advance would go a long way in setting up our course properly. Being that we are hosting during the first weekend, we will have the first glimpse of it. I just hope that it is not just days before.

Then again, if Discraft does a great job building up anticipation and suspense, playing in our ace race is the best way to be one of the first to feel it and see how it flies.

We just need Discraft to give a little more of substantial rumor than saying that they are about due for a driver prototype.

Last year they did not announce the disc until the players packs for the first events were shipped. As you know, the first Sat is Aug 4. You will probably get your shipment around Aug 1 which means Discraft will ship the last week of July. If they do the same as last year, I would not expect an announcement until the week of July 23-27.

This event is getting closer all the time. Gentle reminder in order to guarantee a spot, you need to preregister/pay by July 19th. As far as what disc it is going to be. Let's be honest new plastic is new plastic, it won't matter. I'm psyched for the event like every year.

You probably got the discs in by now.. Please describe them. Tell me its a low profile zone like disc.

Are you guys doing a scattered start or is it a be there by 10am kinda thing? Coming down from Fargo that morning trying to figure out if we could make it in time.

You probably got the discs in by now.. Please describe them. Tell me its a low profile zone like disc.

Discraft is not going to ship them until just before the event. I think last year we received them the Tuesday or Wednesday before our date. We arenot even submitting our first order until the 20th (hence the need for the money to be in by the 19th).

Are you guys doing a scattered start or is it a be there by 10am kinda thing? Coming down from Fargo that morning trying to figure out if we could make it in time.

Right now the plan is to have a player's meeting around 9:45am. From there we will let groups who are ready to tee off at Hole 1. This will allow me to take everyone's picture as they run the first basket. This will create a little wait for the last few groups as they wait for everyone to get onto the course.

If there are a few people who are a little late, like no more than 20 minutes late, this will give them time to arrive. This will also help with any last second walk-ups as they will have to fill out a disclosure/ safety form and complete the registration.

HOWEVER, if we have an awesome turn-out, we will switch to a shotgun start at 10:15am sharp. This will likely be decided at 9:45.

To help alleviate congestion problems, most league members will have already played their Ace Race round by the time regular players show up. This will allow them to have played and still help as volunteers such as cooks, checking people in, taking care of refreshments at the lower pavilion, photographers, and spotters.

Basically we want people there as soon to 9:45 as they can. We will have a Par/ Birdie or Go Home round after the conclusion of the Ace Race and from last year's experience, not too many people who finished early really wanted to wait around while the later groups finished.

Oh I misread than thought it said the event date was. Thursday, July 19th..

tag for later,

Oh I misread than thought it said the event date was. Thursday, July 19th..

tag for later,

No, I understand. The registration money is due July 19th. We will have packages for walk-ups, so if you are thinking about going but cannot commit yet, plan on showing up and there will likely be ones available. However, to guarantee a spot I need everything in by this Thursday.

Super disappointed that Discraft has not announced, or at least given a stronger hint, of what the disc is going to be today. Our deadline for a guaranteed spot is this Thursday. If Discraft does not start pumping energy into promoting this event, I hope we do not have to turn some people away because they did not lock in their spots. Do not worry, we have more than enough participants for this event to happen, but if you are sitting on the fence about going, just remember that you will be the first one in Minnesota to get your hands on these prototypes.

Maybe this lack of support and or enthusiasm can work in our favor. If you definitely want to know what the disc is, the best way is to just play.