• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] The Gateway Karma and Element Challenge!

Stud Muffin

Banned
I like it when things are simple and clear cut. When you have a clear plan or idea on how to accomplish a goal, then you are most likely going to accomplish it.

That said, with so many discs on the market, and so many that are so similar, and so many small variances, that I believe we have lost what the older players use to live by, and that is familiarity with a mold. <~The problem with the old school thought, is they would have the same mold in different points of 'wear', so it was the same disc in the hand, but a different flight in the air. First, you would have to 'wear' the disc to this point, and second, if you lost that disc, you lost that shot until another reached that point of wear.

I believe I have found a awesome combination in the short game that just blows all my other combo's out of the water, and gets the old school feel advantage going for you.

The Challenge, if you are up to it, is to buy a Gateway E Karma and a Gateway E Element,(I suggest heaviest weights possible, 177-180) and play 2 rounds with them as your only two mids in your bag. First round you experiment, familiarize yourself with the discs, get used to moving the Element left to right (RHBH) and get used to the Karma going into a hard nose dive on a hyzer, it is unique. They 'feel' the same, so it is a very fast learning curve on touch.

Second round, make it a serious round. Play a competitive round with a friend. Now experimentation is over. I want you to see how clearly and defined it is when you reach into your bag, on which mid disc you are grabbing and why you are grabbing it. What else is clear is the flight path. You will find these discs are so predictable they almost seem boring and you almost overlook how easy it is to park a basket.

You may say to yourself, I could do this with other discs, well of course you could, but when you pick up a Roc/Wasp, you have one mold, Hornet, another, Buzzz, another, Drone, another, Comet, another, Shark, another, etc. <~I am not saying these are not great discs. I am saying, you will not have the instant muscle memory and familiarity going from a Roc to a Buzzz as you will a Karma to a Element.

I believe it is the best mid combo in the game today! Try it!

Last edited:
thats why we use all rocs :p .. from dx to kc pro or maybe even a champ you can cover everything .. i have been known to throw a comet or two tho :) but even then the feel and the way they like to be thrown is simialr enough.. but yeah glad its working for you i have not thrown either of those molds but does sounds like a nice combo

That's what I do with buzzzs. I have new (Overstable) ones as well as beat to hell ones that are super flippy!

thats why we use all rocs :p .. from dx to kc pro or maybe even a champ you can cover everything .. i have been known to throw a comet or two tho :) but even then the feel and the way they like to be thrown is simialr enough.. but yeah glad its working for you i have not thrown either of those molds but does sounds like a nice combo

Exactly!

The feel of the discs is more 'Buzzz-like', but yea, i had a champion Roc+, a KC Pro Roc, and a Star SM Roc for a long while, but my noodle arm could not get them out far enough sometimes, but the Karma/Element are a little easier to get out there.

That's what I do with buzzzs. I have new (Overstable) ones as well as beat to hell ones that are super flippy!

Right On!

I am really just learning how great of an advantage it is to have the same feel with different flights.

A advantage I see is, you can order a Karma and a Element and no 'wear' time is required.

*side note

Be sure to get the "E/Evolution" plastic if you take the Challenge! The other plastics are not so good. :thmbdown:

A new E Karma is more overstable than a new Buzzz or Roc. It's quite a heffer of a disc. Not quite as overstable as a Drone or Gator, but still... Lot's of glide though. Still gets out there.

^^ sweet.. yeah i have heard of it but i havent really ever felt or thrown anything Gateway other then a wizard here or there.. no reason really just not really sold around here .. well hell nothing is sold around here lol :eek:

I'll start off by saying HPP elements are very under-rated discs, and can be compared to a flat, more-understable Lat64 Core. So if that's what you're looking for, give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

With that said, i ditched the HPP Element when GL Cores came out. That little bit of added stability was more reliable for throwing a full-power drive off the tee.

A new E Karma is more overstable than a new Buzzz or Roc. It's quite a heffer of a disc. Not quite as overstable as a Drone or Gator, but still... Lot's of glide though. Still gets out there.

I can't believe I actually typed out "Lot's" and did not notice it. Curse these edit timers! Now I have to live with the shame :eek: :p

I picked up an s karma at a tournament and love it. I am having trouble finding them in better plastic at local boutiques and haven't seen online either.

Recently started to bag the Karma and Element and am quite pleased with the combo. Element is like an easy to release Comet and the Karma is like an easy to release Roc. Looking forward to getting to know these discs a bit better.

I still wish the Element-X was in production. I had an evo one, and that was money.

This is the pairing I have been using for a while, I also think the Scout and Mystic are good, but these two work better if you like to use your mids for roller shots, the Karma has gotten me several escapes and sneaky approaches with a thumb roller.

Karma is the element X with a new name.

Mine Karma felt like it had a more rounded nose and dome, whereas my Element-x was super flat. Could have just been the old Evo plastic vs new, but it felt much different. The flight was similar enough.

My bag is all Gateway for the midranges and putters.

Demon, Warrior, Element, Chief OS, Chief. All of them are incredible discs. And Evolution beats in perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk