• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] The Gateway Renaissance

What was "wrong" with the old Evo? Asking out of ignorance, didn't dabble in it much outside of a Wizard and a Magic.

Some batches were great and some were more akin to a Pro plastic.
The new runs are top shelf quality and appear to be repeatable which has always been Gateway's biggest knock.

You say the assassin has good fade, what is the apache like? Are there platinum scouts? If so, how did they mold up?

You say the assassin has good fade, what is the apache like? Are there platinum scouts? If so, how did they mold up?

Not yet. Mac did run a new batch of S Scouts that are beautifully shaped. Pancake flat and look pretty beefy

The Apaches are glidey bombers. Stable enough to rip on but not beefy. They held up pretty well to cross winds and absolutely crushed in tailwinds. I'd say these are the best Apaches I've thrown. Perfect stability to slot into your control driver slot.
I'd say they're very Escape like in the air. Glide, turn but not flip, and a reliable fade to bring it back to center.

Does this mean tyrant molding gets brought in under gateway?

Nah our mold is designed for the injection molded overseas so the cost would be too high for us to retool the mold to slot into Gateway's machines.

That said, the new premium plastic being run here definitely is inspiring if I ever do choose to tool another driver.

Not yet. Mac did run a new batch of S Scouts that are beautifully shaped. Pancake flat and look pretty beefy

The Apaches are glidey bombers. Stable enough to rip on but not beefy. They held up pretty well to cross winds and absolutely crushed in tailwinds. I'd say these are the best Apaches I've thrown. Perfect stability to slot into your control driver slot.
I'd say they're very Escape like in the air. Glide, turn but not flip, and a reliable fade to bring it back to center.

I recently picked up a s scout, max weight and flat. Haven't thrown it yet, but looks very beefy sitting next to any of my others. The scout is probably the most underrated disc in an underrated mid lineup. Hope to hear of some new premium runs.

Could you compare the assassin and apache head to head? I thought the apache was supposed to be the more stable of the two, but sounds like it's not.

Yeah the Apache used to be more stable but the Diamond Evolution runs have produced different results.

Flight numbers are sitting around:
Assassin: 9, 4, 0, 3
Apache: 9, 5, - 1, 2

The new Assassins aren't quite Firebird but I'd say they're a touch more stable than a Thunderbird as well. Really solid discs to just lean on and trust in all conditions.

Assassin vs. Apache

Attachments

• 20160707_145045.jpg
    20160707_145045.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the quick response, look forward to trying some of the new plastic.

I've asked this in two other threads this week with no answer but what is diamond evo like?

I could make a solid Gateway only bag:

Apaches (Evo/S)
Blaze
Warrior
Element
Wizards

I've asked this in two other threads this week with no answer but what is diamond evo like?

It is Gateway's best premium plastic to be released.

In the mids it is running like the gummy HPP
The Assassins are firmer while the Apaches stayed gummy.

Davemac is using high end polymers and I do believe he has a steady stream of it which bodes well for future runs.

Will he resist the urge to tinker with every new run trying to get that perfect blend though?

It is Gateway's best premium plastic to be released.

In the mids it is running like the gummy HPP
The Assassins are firmer while the Apaches stayed gummy.

Davemac is using high end polymers and I do believe he has a steady stream of it which bodes well for future runs.

Cool

Wizards yet?

Cool

Wizards yet?

Small batch but they weren't perfect. He was running them in the less suitable press.
He plans to run them again very soon.

The good ones however were incredible. Nearly dead ringers for the clear gummy HPP the currently rake in the collector $

Will he resist the urge to tinker with every new run trying to get that perfect blend though?

There isn't much tinkering he can do with the Diamond. It's straight from pellet to disc whereas most of their previous runs have been cocktails of plastics.

Small batch but they weren't perfect. He was running them in the less suitable press.
He plans to run them again very soon.

The good ones however were incredible. Nearly dead ringers for the clear gummy HPP the currently rake in the collector $

The Platinum Wizards he ran right around the time of the spring Ozark event were money. I only picked up two (wanted to try them but don't usually throw Evo) and I immediately bagged one. If he runs more like that I may grab more.

Any plans on creating new stamps for the existing molds (maybe giving them some Reptile style)? Always found it odd how Gateway has Shaman's, Chief's, Voodoo's, etc. with nifty artwork but have some wasted potential with cool sounding discs like the Warspear and Devil Hawk

Last edited:
Any plans on creating new stamps for the existing molds (maybe giving them some Reptile style)? Always found it odd how Gateway has Shaman's, Chief's, Voodoo's, etc. with nifty artwork but have some wasted potential with cool sounding discs like the Warspear and Devil Hawk

For sure. I've already been tossing around ideas to refresh their stamp line up.
Just a matter of time ;)

Latest posts