• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] The Immortal Molds

hawgdriver

Eagle Member
Hey...apologies if this has been done.

It would be a huge benefit to newer players if not.

A 'top 10' or top 69 or w/e the number--basically, a ranking of the molds--with an eye towards the absolute *elite* molds.

I love piano music and crap like that, here's something I saw at another message board that's exactly what I'm talking about. All the poasters collab'ed and message board greatness occurred.

https://www.talkclassical.com/17996-compilation-tc-top-recommended.html

Basically, here's idea. Best mold--what is yours? So many love a Comet or an OLF or a Zone or a Roc or w/e.

But don't just make a post, make a vote. Then someone (me? someone with more clout?) tabulates the top 5 or so, and those are the 5 immortal molds. Details if there's a surge of interest in this project. Yeah, I'll take point and do heavy lifting if that's a barrier, or gladly hand baton to more qualified/appropriate person.

Then rinse repeat for 5-10, 10-15, and so on. Or by 10's.

Might be more useful if it was split by function (putt-only, putter, putt and approach, upshot only, midrange, OS mid, understable mid, etc etc), but maybe it's easier just to lump them ALL together and then create those other lists after the fact.

The more I am on this message board the more I believe in the immortal mold theory of discs.

This would be a cool way for a newer player searching for 'best discs' or w/e to learn the sport using discs that have stood the test of time. Or for some of us to consider overlooked discs.

Ok, I'm voting for something obscure and out of print and unavailable but ineffably good.

Mainly spitballing at this point--someone else can take this probably decent idea and make it into a good one.

I'm not a big fan of band wagons... Lol

But I have to say I think the Zone has to be on the list, and the list clearly starts with Teebird.

I don't currently bag the Teebird, but everytime I try to take the Zone out, my game falls apart.

InfiniteDiscs posts lists of their top selling molds, which are useful to see what discs are probably good. For instance, this:

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/best-disc-golf-discs/

My first vote for an immortal mold would be the original Eagle mold, but it is dead (oop), haha. So, I will go with the Teebird.

I vote Eagle. What's this about the original Eagle mold being gone?

I vote Eagle. What's this about the original Eagle mold being gone?

Threeputt and other super oldies can answer this better than me, but it is my understanding that Innova produced a mold called the Eagle back in 1983. This is pre-Aviar.
Apparently, the Aero is based on this original Eagle, but is not exactly the same.

What we call the Eagle-x and Eagle-L now are different than the original Eagle.

There are dgcoursereview threads that talk about the original Eagle.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52316

Last edited:
Only issue to something like this is there have been so many new molds produced the last few years. Are they truly classics or just appear that way because they're the hot new mold when you've got a massive influx of newer players.

I guess in my mind all time greats, or classics are molds that changed the game in one way or another. Either that or they've been duplicated by other companies unsuccessfully.

A couple that come to mind for me, and I've been playing since 2001. I know there's a ton of old school molds that would qualify but I'll let somebody more familiar with those share their glory.

The Beast was the first modern day wide rimmed driver. Yeah the Valkyrie and Firebird were 9 speeds and on the market but at the time the Beast felt a lot bigger in the hand. It opened the door for the Starfire, Orc, Wraith, and everything else down the line. It gets overlooked by everybody now, but deserves a head nod because it was the first of a new generation.

The Zone is just one of those discs that does it's job almost too well. Replicated by pretty much every other company and their versions are just not the same. You could easily say the same thing about the Teebird and Roc. The Zone also helped make the forehand approach shot much more common in the game.

Obviously tons of other discs you could make a case for, but those are two quick examples of how I'd attempt a grouping of greatest discs.

I can only speak for me and my bag. Disc that have been instrumental in my development or mainstays in my bag are the following:

Elite X XL
Elite X XS
D Stratus
D Comet
Soft Magnet
Z Nebula
Various Buzzz SS
Champ Mamba

The only ones still in the bag are the Magnet, Status, Buzzz SS and Nebula. The rest were in the bag for many years, but have been replaced as my game grew.

I do not throw all Discraft, but coming up in the game, they were in my backyard and far more available than any other manufacturer.

Only issue to something like this is there have been so many new molds produced the last few years. Are they truly classics or just appear that way because they're the hot new mold when you've got a massive influx of newer players.

I was thinking about this idea a bit more this morning. Wot I think:

1. Could be *any* disc as long as it's still somewhat available, even on secondary markets. There's a line in the sand somewhere but I don't know it...maybe recent OOP (e.g., DD2) are ok, but circa 1999 OOP that are like 5-leaf clovers are not ok? If it's a close call, err on the side of still-in-production.

2. Some molds, say Eagle, have a lot of variants and plastics. Instead of getting into the weeds on that, let's leave that for the specialized threads already out there. So a simple "Eagle" is perf.

3. This type of thing can tell you more about the people voting than the actual truth of any "immortal molds"--maybe a lot of (e.g.) Innova/Discraft/Millenium fanbois up in here. You'd really like to have a sort of 'Supreme Court' panel of voters that everyone agrees would really nail it. Or enough individuals to make it more even. Not sure, but this seems important.

3. ... You'd really like to have a sort of 'Supreme Court' panel of voters that everyone agrees would really nail it. Or enough individuals to make it more even. Not sure, but this seems important.

Ok, let's keep it simple.

Anyone with over (~50?) posts (to avoid silly games) just list the 5 molds you consider to be the best molds ever made.

Please only vote if you are not filtering by company--it's totally fine to love one mfr way above others and, after deep evaluation you feel this to be true (for yourself), but it's not ok to vote simply to promote a company.

So have at it, we'll close this first round of voting at the end of August.

I'm open for any suggestions and improvement, thx!

I kind of like the idea of weighting votes, since my vote should count for way less than all of you with deep experience. Not sure how, but it could improve the quality of results.

Please holla if you got an idea. Thx again.

My five molds, limiting them to existing molds.

1. beadless Aviar
2. Zone
3. Roc
4. Buzzz
5. Teebird

I was just thinking of something similar to this yesterday; imagining if I had to build a bag out of the most "Iconic" for lack of a better term discs what I would use. If I had to pick 5 id probably go…

1) Aviar
2) Zone
3) Buzzz
4) Teebird
5) Destroyer

Id argue those 5 molds set the standard that similar discs are compared to. Honorable mention to Roc and a Comet

This is the one that changed the game for me.

XD.jpg

In the Bags/Carts/.... forum, there's a thread on "If you could only carry 5 discs...". That sounds similar to what you want to do, because a person's choice of their only 5 discs would be their 'immortal' disc list. I know if I list my top 5, they would be the five best discs ever (in my opinion)....I mean why carry anything else if you are limited to those?

Right now mine are:
Legacy Clutch
DGA Breaker
Discraft Buzzz
Innova Teebird
Kastaplast Falk

Latest posts