• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] The Immortal Molds

They are produced in special runs at inflated prices, a practice that gained steam with manufacturers recently, but will probably become immortal.

I stand corrected.

Well, I'm not sure we'll make it another 1000 years period, but the last discs out of the factories will probably be

Aviar Putt & Approach
Roc
Teebird
Destroyer
Buzzz

Sorry, I guess I just don't understand the point of this exercise or what benefit it provides.
You're mostly going to get a list of people's favorites, which has been done a thousand different ways already.

The point is a list of the best. If there is such a list, could you link it? One with tabulated votes by a community of peers rather than a bunch of disjunctive anecdotes and posts?

Sorry it was so ambiguous--you'd figure such a thing would be stickied or such.

I think people like to know what's best, those who are excited and who are exploring a new thing. I didn't even realize that the Teebird and Comet were a thing until just recently and I've been obsessing on this sport for almost a year.

That's the point, the benefit is helping those who are looking for a simple, distilled list of molds.

If Eagle, Teebird, Firebird, Comet, OLF, etc., are near the top, it will help those who are newer focus more early in their exploration of the sport on those discs that are generally considered worth investing much time with.

Respectfully, I don't understand how one could *not* want a curated, community-vetted list of molds.

As far as 'favorites' go--yes, this is what is desired is favorites. What I think you meant to articulate a little more cleanly was that it would be biased and unreliable--and I def agree that is of no value.

So maybe to recruit you to the cause--do you really see no value to this? Like, for serious?

Comet

Extra space added because it's not even close

Eagle, OLF, zone, roc, wasp, aviar, wizard and leopard are the only others worth mentioning IMO

I played with damned good player yesterday who cashes when he plays, been playing pro brackets since '05, and besides Rocs and Teebirds he likes Leopards. I'm thinking to myself, that's a good disc, I've thrown one and loved it! I've always thought I should throw it more!

There are a ton of great discs, no 'right' answers, but my whole point on this is a kind of 'wisdom of crowds' thing and who knows, maybe there are some kids out there or w/e that will see this list and not spin their wheels and might get better faster and make the sport more exciting and awesome.

Man, I sound too defensive. I need to work on that.

btw everyone, sorry I am the way I am, hope you see past it. Just want to really see the results tbh, I'm kind of a data-head.

The point is a list of the best. If there is such a list, could you link it? One with tabulated votes by a community of peers rather than a bunch of disjunctive anecdotes and posts?

Sorry it was so ambiguous--you'd figure such a thing would be stickied or such.

I think people like to know what's best, those who are excited and who are exploring a new thing. I didn't even realize that the Teebird and Comet were a thing until just recently and I've been obsessing on this sport for almost a year.

That's the point, the benefit is helping those who are looking for a simple, distilled list of molds.

If Eagle, Teebird, Firebird, Comet, OLF, etc., are near the top, it will help those who are newer focus more early in their exploration of the sport on those discs that are generally considered worth investing much time with.

Respectfully, I don't understand how one could *not* want a curated, community-vetted list of molds.

As far as 'favorites' go--yes, this is what is desired is favorites. What I think you meant to articulate a little more cleanly was that it would be biased and unreliable--and I def agree that is of no value.

So maybe to recruit you to the cause--do you really see no value to this? Like, for serious?

I admire your enthusiasm, but a list of best golf discs is completely subjective.

I admire your enthusiasm, but a list of best golf discs is completely subjective.

Have you voted??? :D

I like the idea of aiming at an objective, universal truth. If you see a way to get closer to that, just take it over man, or chime in. I doubt that happens, but I like the concept--of an objective list (or subjective one that's as close as any out there--see the Talk Classical lists, perfect example). I figure the concept was at the front of my mind so why not type it out.

Anyways. I've had some thoughts about how to get it closer to objective truth, for example, -- one piece of data that would be super easy to ignore is 'have you thrown _______'? For example, if Comet is a huge favorite, but it's off a lot of individual's little votey things--maybe they haven't thrown it?

So there should be a way to make sure that the top molds are ones that everyone has had a chance to thumbs up or thumbs down based on subjective experience.

I do have the enthusiasms. So let's focus on that and see if we can arrive somewhere worthwhile.

Groove
Monarch
Buzzz gt
Tilt
Ape
Pulse
Punisher
V-Roc
Malta
Misselen
Raketen
Criminal
Sampo
Savant
Krait
Daedalus
Collosus
King Cobra
Epic
Flying Squirrel

Did I miss any?

Did I miss any?

Mystere

BAM!!!

latest

Have you voted??? :D

I like the idea of aiming at an objective, universal truth. If you see a way to get closer to that, just take it over man, or chime in. I doubt that happens, but I like the concept--of an objective list (or subjective one that's as close as any out there--see the Talk Classical lists, perfect example). I figure the concept was at the front of my mind so why not type it out.

Anyways. I've had some thoughts about how to get it closer to objective truth, for example, -- one piece of data that would be super easy to ignore is 'have you thrown _______'? For example, if Comet is a huge favorite, but it's off a lot of individual's little votey things--maybe they haven't thrown it?

So there should be a way to make sure that the top molds are ones that everyone has had a chance to thumbs up or thumbs down based on subjective experience.

I do have the enthusiasms. So let's focus on that and see if we can arrive somewhere worthwhile.

So...I don't think you can find objective universal truth with this exercise.
Because....there are no best discs. Only best discs for each individual, for myriad reasons.

However, this is only my opinion, and I don't want to $hit in anyone's Wheaties, so I'll bow out of the discussion and you may carry on.

You can have conversations ALL day about the molds that were innovative and set the bar...but a discussion of "best" molds is just too subjective.

You can have conversations ALL day about the molds that were innovative and set the bar...but a discussion of "best" molds is just too subjective.

A group of some number of posters at Talk Classical ranked Bach's Well Tempered Clavier as the #1 piece in the entire solo keyboard catalog. Is that objectively correct? Idk, maybe? Who cares, kinda? It served the purpose of making me consider listening to it (and even though for about a decade I thought it was boring af it's now one of my favorite things in life).

The goal is to aim at something like an objective truth, because even though it's a collection of subjective values and preferences, ultimately the thing we are after is what tends to be subjectively best for the most people. If there is any 'objective' truth to such a list, it would be once you had the entire population's subjective preference.

I hope that makes some sense.

So...I don't think you can find objective universal truth with this exercise.
Because....there are no best discs. Only best discs for each individual, for myriad reasons.

However, this is only my opinion, and I don't want to $hit in anyone's Wheaties, so I'll bow out of the discussion and you may carry on.

I actually enjoy the occasional rabbit turd in my milk and cereal.

Ok, actually I don't, that's gross. Just trying to build rapport.

Latest posts