• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The importance of STRETCHING

I stretch out before the first round and then before and DURING the second round of tournaments. If i don't, it shows in my score and I really feel it the next day.

timbavati-lions-142-large.jpg

that's a Man, baby!!

My understanding is that warming up before exercise is much more important than stretching. In fact, you're supposed to warm up before you stretch. Stretching after exercise is a good idea, though.

A good point. Cold stretching can create injuries. I usually start out with some light throws (50%) and then jog after the discs, throw them back, etc. Gets me going enough to do some light stretching, then some more throws, increaseing the power and so on. I like to do torso rotations and full reach backs to loosen up, and i go into them easlily, increasing the amount of stretch each time.

I never go right into big drives...that's asking for trouble.

First few minutes of any given physical activity = my warm-up :D

If you are easing into the activity, this can be highly effective.

My pre-round routine includes:
-putting
-drives with my mids at 50-60%
-drives with my putters at 65-75%
-If there isn't anyone on the tee, I will flick the mids and putters back to the tee
-stretching

I find stretching important enough to do it before any physical activity.

I'm not very old (23) but I make a point to stretch before. (Didn't know you needed to afterwards) Typically I end it with doing outside crescent kicks and making sure I can get over my head with both legs >_>

I do a lot of yoga, so I have an affliction toward stretching. My body craves it. I stretch constantly, no matter if I am on the course or at work. It just feels good.

Always stretch before playing, I go through the same stretching/running/ I did before Pitching any baseball game, You should use your whole body to throw a disc, and your whole body should be loose! Try placing left arm under right elbow, then pushing down on the wrist, great stretch for elbow/shoulder

its all about dynamic stretching before you play, and static stretching after you play. Static stretching has been shown to weaken the muscles before sports/ or weight training.

As an old dude(47) with multiple surgeries it was funny to arrive at my 2nd round tee yesterday and watch the 20yr olds stretching. They should have been practicing.

Stretching might be the most important part of playing a good round. Every professional athlete stretches before they play. I know for myself, because I hate to waste a moment of playing time as soon I get there that I don't play as well especially in the first 3 or 4 holes. And I've also injured myself by over throwing before I stretch. And I also know that the older you get the more important it is.

A few years ago I sustained a neck and back injury at work. Nothing too major, but since then I've constantly had tight/sore muscles in different places along my neck/shoulders and along my upper spine. Depending on what I've been doing the tightness and pain kinda moves around to a couple of different places.

I've always stretched before a round, but now it's super important for me to play well. I usually like to putt a little and then begin my stretching. I start out simple, just little stretches... then I get a little more serious and get some stretches in that mimic my body's movement during a drive, etc.

I love that loose and limber feeling a good stretch session provides... I'm sure it directly affects my game. After the round I like to do another round of stretching to hopefully loosen up those muscles I've been working.

I'm only 35, but with the injury, playing without warming up and stretching can put me in a world of hurt.

I also stretch before and after sleeping. Unfortunately for me, laying on my back kinda exasperates my injury... :thmbdown:

Anyway, golfers of all ages and skill levels should stretch not only before and after a round, but also at home. It's all about good body mechanics! :thmbup:

I'll usually stretch. I'm probably the world's least limber guy, so I get all kinda sore if I'm not stretched out properly.

I do a lot of stretching in between rounds on my shoulder. Just PT exercises designed to keep it strong...don't need that getting injured again. :\

Before a round, and often even in between rounds if I stopped for lunch or had a bit of a drive to another course, I'll stretch my hamstrings, quads, sides/ribcages/lats(?), and back a bit. Nothing too crazy, but it does look like I'm doing yoga or something.

I certainly stretch more before winter rounds.

I used to NEVER stretch before physical activity, but as I'm aging, I find it helps more and more.

Latest posts