• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Innova policy regarding their sponsored players selling makes sense considering their large retail presence. Innova can tell their retail partners that they won't be undersold by their sponsored pros, and for that matter, even smaller retailers who I believe may be held to pricing restrictions. Even though the amount of sponsored pro sales might be small, it's more likely their goal to apply consistent policies in their retail channels.

Last edited:
Incorrect.

I'm not naming names, but there's a former innova player who they failed to meet contract terms with, a current player who got shafted on a major bonus.

But in their defense this was 6-10 years ago when it was just them and discraft. They had to change their shady treatment of players to survive.

That may be, but this is the first I've heard of it. Let's assume for the sake of argument that these things happened. Why? To what purpose? Companies don't shaft employees for funsies. Innova has managed their growth and their stable of players pretty well, going back twenty years. Why single out a couple of players and screw them?

Also, the six to ten year argument has two faults. First, I presume they were discrete events, unless the abuse occured over a four year period? Second, if someone screws me, six years isn't long enough for me to say, well, it did happen five years ago. I hold such things closely for a long time. I don't do anything, but I certainly don't forgive or forget.

Innova policy regarding their sponsored players selling makes sense considering their large retail presence. Innova can tell their retail partners that they won't be undersold by their sponsored pros, and for that matter, even smaller retailers who I believe may be held to pricing restrictions. Even though the amount of sponsored pro sales might be small, it's more likely their goal to apply consistent policies in their retail channels.

Innova loves to undercut their retailers. They make stuff available via their factory store that isn't easily sold at retail shops.

Beyond that, it's like touring bands. If they have merch, I'll buy it. Sometimes I don't like the band but support them anyway. If an Innova pro is touring, they make it so I can't support them no matter if I want to or not.

This is what I would have thought. It also looks bad. You have to be pretty marginal to make ends meet by doing this. Producers wouldn't want their top guys seen this way if there was any way to avoid it.

There are sales tax laws as their pros travel among states that would likely be violated or the paperwork too complicated to actually follow the rules.

I would imagine the tour series discs online are there so their top guys aren't peddling plastic out of their cars. One less thing to worry about so the focus is on play. Any idea if the smaller local sponsored Innova players can sell plastic?

For what it's worth, Vibram is changing our agreements to include a clause that we cannot sell discs for less than retail in order to support the local retailer by not undercutting them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree, just clarifying my side.

Milk-steak boiled over hard.

With a side of jelly beans.

Have you been eating cheese?

No doubt. It's frustrating when you'd love to have a Sexton FB and he's not allowed to sell you one.

Why? You can't buy Under Armour shoes from Steph Curry after a game...I mean I get that people genuinely want to help their favorite golfer, and I don't fault anyone for that, but I don't see how that can be thrown back on the manufacturer as a negative.

Do you want to talk to a professional athlete? Or a dude who is looking at you like he can get gas money off of you?

When I first started attending big events, I was personally really turned off by those fringe pros who prioritize hustling 15 bucks over evangelizing the game. I'm glad we are getting away from that.

What happens at a big tournament when the other pros are out in the parking lot undercutting the vendor for the event?

Doesn't that matter?

Have you been eating cheese?

Why? You can't buy Under Armour shoes from Steph Curry after a game...I mean I get that people genuinely want to help their favorite golfer, and I don't fault anyone for that, but I don't see how that can be thrown back on the manufacturer as a negative.

Do you want to talk to a professional athlete? Or a dude who is looking at you like he can get gas money off of you?

When I first started attending big events, I was personally really turned off by those fringe pros who prioritize hustling 15 bucks over evangelizing the game. I'm glad we are getting away from that.

I've purchased plenty of discs off of touring pros. Limited stuff, exclusive discs that only they had available. That's a good thing. We're not talking hustling commonly available discs. Just like a band selling tour only vinyl. McBeth actually seemed a little embarrassed and apologetic when he said he wasn't allowed to sell any McPro Aviars. Glad your happy, he wasn't.

Latest posts