• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I may be wrong, but Adidas Outdoor sponsored more disc golfers than just McBeth.

According to their website, Adidas Outdoor also sponsers Juliana Korver, Hannah Leatherman and Chris Brophy. However, their website also lists McBeth, so take that as you will.

I believe Adidas wasn't offering anything more/new for 2017 or so he touched on during a Smashobxxtv podcast. If his incentives were just shoes/clothing (pure speculation) and his influence was as large as Adidas made it out to be, then I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for an improved deal. Goes to the old adage- if you are good at something (like marketing Adidas apparel/shoes), don't do it for free.

You play with a highly impressionable bunch, for sure. Good thing it was just shoes, and not Clown College he was advertising...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSKEl6a-b_c

I wonder, why do you think companies advertise? And I also wonder, how do you think they decide who to advertise to?

My clown shoes company would never sponsor a disc golf player! It would be a waste of time. Most of our ads go into Clown Weekly, the highest profile clown magazine in the clowning industry. It's where our market lives, so to speak. Our product is made with superior materials and the notion that we'd want some "disc golfer" trashing them while fooling around with frisbees is a joke.

BTW, when our clowns aren't working, some of them play disc golf and do so in Addidas shoes, a great shoe to wear when you're not clowning around.

Written using my toes, when they're not encased in a pair of clown shoes.

Because you have to hate on Innova to be one of the cool kids :|

You judging me? I was a hipster before being hipster was cool, bruh.

Honestly, I did used to be one of those anti-establishment fools who wanted to be the cool kid with different plastic than other people. I used to be only Discraft. (even though being a Michigan native, you see plenty of Discraft) I got into MVP when they got in the market, same with Prodigy and rarely saw others with their discs. The inner closet hipster in me liked that uniqueness. Then I realized how idiotic that notion was and the Innova/Discmania/Hyzerbomb/Millennium brand has phenomenal discs and there's a reason that they're #1 in disc sports.

You play with a highly impressionable bunch, for sure. Good thing it was just shoes, and not Clown College he was advertising...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSKEl6a-b_c

Don't listen to the other guy, this was pure gold. The best part now is I am picturing mcbeth advertising for a clown college. Imagine league, everyone dressed like clowns, gold pure gold. You win the internet for the day

Does this mean that McBeth is going to start using the Innova Heropack instead of his signature Grip backpack? The Heropack isn't really a professional level backpack

My assumption is that McBeth is able to use other products if Innova does not market that item (like disc retriever, shoes, energy drinks). He just cannot be a paid spokesperson for other products.

Climo will never have any reason to leave Innova

And he avoids the snow like the plague.....
years ago I think even Greenwell was trying to get him to come to the Milwaukee Winter Doubles tournament (Ice Bowl, Real Ice Bowl, Big Chill, Big Freeze and maybe some I don't remember).

I remember that, but I believe he used a Grip backpack in the later parts of 2016 anyways. He certainly used a Grip backpack when he did his latest in the bag video, looks like a Grip AX ->

Pretty sure that's an Innova-produced bag, not a Grip. My limited understanding is that he's been using what is more or less a prototype that hasn't been made put into full production.

I may be wrong, but Adidas Outdoor sponsored more disc golfers than just McBeth. That he's no longer sponsored doesn't mean they're out of the game entirely.

Also, why "ugh, please no" to the notion of Innova producing a shoe? What bad could possibly come from them doing that? If you don't want it, you don't have to buy it.

I stand corrected on Adidas sponsoring other disc golfers (who aren't world champions). Hopefully that program will grow and continue. I said "Ugh, please no" about Innova producing a shoe because every time I've seen a non-shoe company try to make a shoe, it's been hot garbage. Shoes are a highly specialized area of development (way moreso than backpacks), and getting performance, comfort, and durability is pretty difficult. Anyway, yes if they make a pair (themselves, not just a re-brand), I won't buy them. I love Innova, but I think they should stick to their knitting on the shoe thing.

Streets said:
Because you have to hate on Innova to be one of the cool kids

I throw mostly Innova man! I wasn't hating on them at all. We have no actual evidence they are producing a shoe; just DGCR speculation. I don't think it would be a good idea for them to do so is all (unless they're just re-branding a shoe developed by an actual shoe company which I guess would be fine).

I think this is a case of Paul not taking free Merch for sponsorship this year. When you look at the companies that were there last year the only one Innova has a conflict of interest with is GRIP so they could have caused him to leave any money they were giving him since the sig disc are his cash cow. Climo, Val, and Avery are all sponsored by KEEN so if they don't leave KEEN then it was not Innova pushing him away from Adidas. Awesome way for Paul to push companies to offer more for DGers in general.

I'm curious if that means dropping Adidas, New Era, ect. Or if that just means throwing only Innova and dropping Discmania from the bag? Could go either way. Personally, I hope he still throws Discmania just for the fact that I'm personally a fan. I couldn't care less about Adidas. lol

I actually read it as only innova discs no more discmania. Only cause I don't understand why someone in Pauls place would drop 3rd party sponsors that don't deal directly with disc golf( nutrition and shoes).

Maybe Paul is going to go easy this year and focus on bringing new Tallent and tours to disc golf. Or aiming to join the pdga board.

I remember that, but I believe he used a Grip backpack in the later parts of 2016 anyways. He certainly used a Grip backpack when he did his latest in the bag video, looks like a Grip AX ->

Nope. Innova ProtoPack Incredibly similar to an AX15 (if not a direct copy) but still not actually a Grip. Kind of how the Innova Hero Pack is 95% an Academy Magellan with a little extra support added in. Paul has not used any Grip or been sponsored by Grip EQ in over a year. Note how he thanks his sponsors after every tourney interview and hasn't said "Grip" since 2015/verrrry early 2016.

T...and they still have the Ulibarris and Leviska and of course Shusterick. Plenty of stars.

I think Catrina Allen, winner of Women's Player of the year, deserves to be mentioned. She killed it. I agree, Prodigy isn't going anywhere. I still see a few all Prodigy-bags here and there.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/11/30/catrina-allens-season-rank-among-best-ever/

(If Paige's departure had anything to do with a lack of commitment from Prodigy, you can't really blame em.)

Cat would be included in "The Ulibarris." (Paul's wife) Not that Pete Uli has really been forefront much, but he's a solid player and still Prodigy sponsored as well.

And all this went down before she started throwing DD in the bag. Bet if the shoe was on your foot you would be doing the same thing. Oh wait that's right. who you sponsored by again? I forget

I'm sponsored by me, since I actually have a good job that pays me well.

Believe it or not, but not everyone wants to be a "Pro" Disc Golfer.

I'm sure she gives a rats ass about your opinion of her

BTW, I really enjoyed reading your posts in the Bradley Williams' suspension thread. You were chocked full of righteous indignation towards the PDGA. You defense of BW was spectacular.

Yep, PP is a spoiled brat because some hypocrite on DGCR said so. :thmbup:

I feel the same about you and her.

I think this is a case of Paul not taking free Merch for sponsorship this year. When you look at the companies that were there last year the only one Innova has a conflict of interest with is GRIP so they could have caused him to leave any money they were giving him since the sig disc are his cash cow. Climo, Val, and Avery are all sponsored by KEEN so if they don't leave KEEN then it was not Innova pushing him away from Adidas. Awesome way for Paul to push companies to offer more for DGers in general.

I think coming back to DGCR IN 2017 is going to be a great move.

This person currently explains it best, I didn't say i won't have more sponsors in 2017. In 2016 I brought many new companies into Disc Golf on a small sponsorship level. (Product) I want the sport to grow just as much as any other true disc golf fan, my goal was to show that we do have number (sales) to back our athletes. What happened with Adidas last year was incredible! The support they received was mind blowing so much to the scale that Adidas HQ in Germany called to ask if there was a glitch in their system. Adidas Outdoors isn't leavening the sport they are coming in swinging this year. On a personal level I'm ready to move to the "big leagues" and not take product sponsorships anymore. We as a sport have the numbers to bring companies and $ in, why should one of the top players in the sport do it for free?

Latest posts