• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Yes you would want the production one to be steel, just if your trying something out not all the time would you want one made out of steel. Lots of times i have seen things start being made of alum. tested, adjusted, then a production mold made. The cost savings is better if it takes 2-3 cavity or core plate changes to get just what is attended. Now if only I could get one of our sales guys to get his foot in the door. :D

That makes sense, but it sounds like you'd like their business so you can covertly run some molds of your own -- great idea lol.

The area they really need help in is their plastic pellet supplier -- way too much variance. But that's probably more due to trying to keep costs down by allowing some margin of flexibility in the pellet specs. Dave also said CE plastic was forever dead, that it could not specifically be re-created again. I found that to actually be possible by reverse engineering the specific makeup of the plastic. It's probably not cheap, but it can be done.

The local brick and mortar has had some tour series discs. Mostly McBeth's. They said they could stock tour series discs, but the markup would be more than the factory store. They made it seem like Innova was competing with their dealers. Doesn't sound like a good business practice to me.

That same brick and mortar charged me more than the tag price for a first run Buzz Mini the week they came out cause they noticed that they were going for more online, so I'd say they aren't exactly the benchmark...

Yes, but does it have a hitch?

Bravo, sir.

raw

That same brick and mortar charged me more than the tag price for a first run Buzz Mini the week they came out cause they noticed that they were going for more online, so I'd say they aren't exactly the benchmark...

Yes. You have made it well known that you don't support your local shop.

This is not a topic I wish to discuss.

May peace be with you.

The local brick and mortar has had some tour series discs. Mostly McBeth's. They said they could stock tour series discs, but the markup would be more than the factory store. They made it seem like Innova was competing with their dealers. Doesn't sound like a good business practice to me.

Speculating here,

It's also possible that they never intended to wholesale those tour series, so there's a certain barrier to entry to get those...so that specialty stores will bite because their customer demographic will still purchase, but not big retailers due to a different demo?

If the pro shops were saying "hey, we're a pro shop, we want those sexy special tour series too" maybe this was the compromise?

If they do it at regular wholesale prices... Dick's may may come back and be like "wtf brah, we get regular ol firechickens but that little store up the block gets those dope color glow sextons, smh"

Or something like that

You are clearly a phony person.

No one in their right mind would seriously believe that someone would invest tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars into creating a company from scratch, just to leverage a few more thousand dollars out of an existing disc golf company.

Do you think disc golf pros are making millions?

Do you know how much it costs to create a new mold?
To be honest this was a post simply to get the conversation off of Val and signature disc. It was a BS theory because this is the internet and i wanted to mess around, it was fun while it lasted.

Dave also said CE plastic was forever dead, that it could not specifically be re-created again. I found that to actually be possible by reverse engineering the specific makeup of the plastic. It's probably not cheap, but it can be done.

It's not dead because they cannot recreate it... it's dead because they would sell fewer discs. CE plastic just never beats in and as such, you don't need to replace them as they wear. 5 year old CE still flies like it did brand new. I think it's about $$ more than an elusive secret formula.

Speculating here,

It's also possible that they never intended to wholesale those tour series, so there's a certain barrier to entry to get those...so that specialty stores will bite because their customer demographic will still purchase, but not big retailers due to a different demo?

If the pro shops were saying "hey, we're a pro shop, we want those sexy special tour series too" maybe this was the compromise?

If they do it at regular wholesale prices... Dick's may may come back and be like "wtf brah, we get regular ol firechickens but that little store up the block gets those dope color glow sextons, smh"

Or something like that

The whole concept of the innova store competes with their retail partners alone. Talk about BS. You have no choice as a retailer but to stock innova though.

It's not dead because they cannot recreate it... it's dead because they would sell fewer discs. CE plastic just never beats in and as such, you don't need to replace them as they wear. 5 year old CE still flies like it did brand new. I think it's about $$ more than an elusive secret formula.

Actually dave said in may places and i believe in a ama video that the "CE" plastic created too many xouts or incomplete runs. So yes its about $$$. If say 20% of a run needs to be destroyed cause its a wont generate as many complete runs or sell for the full price of a "inferior" blend of plastic there is no business reason for it.

Ugh when will this stupid conspiracy theory die?

This may be a bogus conspiracy theory too, but I feel like I read somewhere (on here probably) that the problem with CE was that one of the component polymers is no longer manufactured. Like, it had health risk implications or something.

The "it's just biznass" explanation is problematic, because why have Champ plastic. I have no experience with CE, is it more durable that Champ?

This may be a bogus conspiracy theory too, but I feel like I read somewhere (on here probably) that the problem with CE was that one of the component polymers is no longer manufactured. Like, it had health risk implications or something.

The "it's just biznass" explanation is problematic, because why have Champ plastic. I have no experience with CE, is it more durable that Champ?

Its a bit more durable and has a touch more grip.it is definitely a worth while plastic to have. If innova could find a suitable way to make discs in a reformulated blend CE it would be the perfect blend for CFR/TFR discs cause they would almost certainly fly off the shelf.

But if innova did have a custom blend made to be identical to the CE how much would that cost them and how much would the msrp be?

I just realized this is getting way off topic! Any golfers switching sponsors?

But if innova did have a custom blend made to be identical to the CE how much would that cost them and how much would the msrp be?
Too much for them to even consider it.

Innova is at the whims of whatever their suppliers have. They don't do anywhere close to enough volume to warrant 'custom' or 'special' blends. They are an extremely tiny blip in the grand scheme of the worldwide plastics industry.

^I think that's true of DG in general, no? In the universe of plastic manufacturing, seems like the DG "industry" probably doesn't have a lot of volume based leverage.

Sorry all. /drift

Too much for them to even consider it.

Innova is at the whims of whatever their suppliers have. They don't do anywhere close to enough volume to warrant 'custom' or 'special' blends. They are an extremely tiny blip in the grand scheme of the worldwide plastics industry.

Yea there isn't any money in selling new plastic discs in the same/similar plastic that people are paying $50, $100 and even $1000 for old plastic discs now...:\

Imagine if they found a bin full of that plastic and decided to make a run of Destroyers. Could you imagine the feeding frenzy?...

Last edited:

Latest posts