• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local restaurant does a pineapple/jerk chicken pizza that is delicious...I think jalapeños are on it. It's called Bob Marley.

MJ sells a bunch of Comets because he is such a nice guy and plus he gets DC to run cool special stamps/runs.

He sells out usually before I even know they have been released.

It's not just Comets, remember the special run of Bangers? They sold super fast as well.... and I snagged 3

I do believe MJ is an outlier

So you don't think that Tim Barham doesn't sell a lot of Cranks? Austin Turner Forces? Hannah Leatherman Terns? Brinster Teebirds?

In the end, its about the disc.

However, being a nice guy absolutely helps.

So you don't think that Tim Barham doesn't sell a lot of Cranks? Austin Turner Forces? Hannah Leatherman Terns? Brinster Teebirds?

I think there is some truth to certain players names selling discs. No one knew what the Mortar was until Sexton and Jerm started throwing it and talking about it on Jomez. Next thing you know you could barely find them and they were selling like hotcakes.

I agree the majority of the pros do not sell discs with their names but a select few with a loyal following definitely do and some players names sell locally. Austin Turner and Grady Shue signature discs sold pretty well when they were released around the Charlotte area.

Seeing a player make good throws with a disc on coverage help sells them as well. It just so happens that the comet is a unique disc that is fun to watch fly. Not to mention MJ and his comet throws are legendary. It's marketing gold.

Judging by the racks in some of our local disc stores...I'm gonna go with not really. Most of the tour series disc's are bought by "stores" and then mostly just sit on the shelf. This year in particular, just about every tour series disc was pretty stagnant with the exception of anything that has McBeth on it.

Judging by the racks in some of our local disc stores...I'm gonna go with not really. Most of the tour series disc's are bought by "stores" and then mostly just sit on the shelf. This year in particular, just about every tour series disc was pretty stagnant with the exception of anything that has McBeth on it.

If it's sitting on a store rack, it's already sold and the player is already getting the check.....

There is also an understated "trickle down effect" on hot sponsored discs. It is true that only a very small fraction of DG players pay any attention to the pro circuit and what discs are being used by what player, a refrain often repeated on these threads. However, on the local courses all it takes is one or two players, who are usually pretty serious ones, who do follow this stuff, try the hot new sponsored disc, and then at local leagues, casual rounds its usage can really proliferate simply because John Q Local, the 980 rated league player, debuts the disc, likes it, and word spreads and 6 months later said disc is in a lot of casual bags.

If it's sitting on a store rack, it's already sold and the player is already getting the check.....

While this is true, if the retail store doesn't sell them, are they ever going to restock them? So while that pro might have gotten one check, what's the second one gonna look like? Or how long before they see a second one?

back to talk about using JC instead of Jordan Castro. I'm not sorry...but I won't do it again. I see how things roll around here.

While this is true, if the retail store doesn't sell them, are they ever going to restock them? So while that pro might have gotten one check, what's the second one gonna look like? Or how long before they see a second one?

I agree with you 100%. At my local dg store, which sees a TON of traffic, with the exception of the McBeths, Sexton FB, Cloud Breakers etc, tour series discs just do not sell consistently.

There is also an understated "trickle down effect" on hot sponsored discs. It is true that only a very small fraction of DG players pay any attention to the pro circuit and what discs are being used by what player, a refrain often repeated on these threads. However, on the local courses all it takes is one or two players, who are usually pretty serious ones, who do follow this stuff, try the hot new sponsored disc, and then at local leagues, casual rounds its usage can really proliferate simply because John Q Local, the 980 rated league player, debuts the disc, likes it, and word spreads and 6 months later said disc is in a lot of casual bags.

... -ish... I think more of a trickle up? or just fertilizer spread.

Here the guys buying up and bringing attention to tour discs are not the 980 league player. most of those guys have their discs, old discs and they pay zero attention to whats new on the market and can't be arsed to keep up with the names of discs from manufacturers they don't know.

The guys spending the money are super fans, watch a ton of DG on youtube and spend money like mad. For every $1 your "average" disc golfer spends on discs they question if they should buy there area small handful of people out there buying 3 for 4 or 5 more discs. They have the new first runs, they have the proto-types, and not just one but will talk about their throwers, their wall hangers and the 3 in plastic bags in the tubs, and they are doing this with every new disc with a name on it that comes out. Sometimes these guys strike gold and it migrates around and people buy more, but I believe the vast majority of most tour discs go to a small handful of over buyers.

On the note of best selling discs from someone you might not expect? I wonder about the Jen Allen Teebird. I know she had some injury early season but they sell, I see a lot of them around and she didn't even tour this year. As people said though sometimes players don't sell discs, the discs that sell are going to sell regardless of the name.

I have seen exactly 1 Brinster TeeBird in the wild; I have never seen any of the rest. It is fair to say that I also don't see Cranks or Forces in the wild period. Lots of Comets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts