• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

It's obviously very early in the season, but if we see Drew Gibson on the lead card a lot throughout the season does that do anything to validate the mixed bag sponsorships?

I believe Calvin and Eagle are the two big contracts expiring this year. I think between the two I could see Eagle considering it.

It's obviously very early in the season, but if we see Drew Gibson on the lead card a lot throughout the season does that do anything to validate the mixed bag sponsorships?

I believe Calvin and Eagle are the two big contracts expiring this year. I think between the two I could see Eagle considering it.

If anything it validates just how good of a putter the penrose is. It turned Drew from a meh putter on tour to a pretty good putter. If he could get a forehand down then he would be in the hunt of the 1050 club, imo.

Of course Drew is known for his tremendous power, but his midrange/Buzz throws are elite if not the best on the course. Kind of covers for his forehand. Of course he throws a nice forehand, but only as a utility throw and not a go to.

Love seeing him make his putts and really getting in the mix.

I don't know that means anything for mixed bag approach.

If anything it validates just how good of a putter the penrose is. It turned Drew from a meh putter on tour to a pretty good putter. If he could get a forehand down then he would be in the hunt of the 1050 club, imo.
...or does it validate how much time Drew's put in working on his putting?

Nothing off the Penrose, but methinks it be the archer, rather than the arrow.

But why?

Is Discmania's (or any manufacturer's) lineup holding him (or anyone) back?

Not that a manufacturer's lineup is holding him back, but if you could make close to as much money and be able to throw exactly what you want why not?

No idea what Drew's contract entails or Eagle's, but Infinite seems to be taking care of Drew. And I think Eagle would be more likely than Calvin just because he'd be able to still throw any of his old DM originals and whatever new variants Innova molds or lets other brands use in addition to everything else under the sun.

I honestly don't see Eagle seeing DM, more meant that if Drew is having some success going that route and if he's being taken care of financially will you start seeing more players exploring it as a valid option? If the money is comparable it seems like it'd be great leverage for players. Why throw your brand exclusively when for the same amount I can throw whatever I want?

Im sorry but I do t know (or cant recall) the figures. Was it released somewhere what Drew's deal is? I just kind of assume that a mixed bag is never going to be the same money as an exclusive deal.

So the "same money, throw whatever I want" is not really an option. How about "more money but have to just not throw that one mid I really like because its off brand, and lets face it, as a pro I can make almost anything work". Is that so bad?

You're gonna have to back up that claim good sir.

I just in case wanted to wait a bit to see they all play in USA some rounds. I claim was based on what I have heard from finnish friends. But now, when I am looking the Memorial third round I am pretty confident that it is for sure that way.

...or does it validate how much time Drew's put in working on his putting?

Nothing off the Penrose, but methinks it be the archer, rather than the arrow.

I agree. It seems like Drew just gels with that putter for whatever reason.

This is from EV-7's description of the Primrose. I never heard of this mold before and was doing some research. I don't see how the description can be possible. High speed over stable, and low speed straight with some consistent fade? It seems to me if it were high speed over stable, then it would be more overstable at low speed / putting speeds.

"The Penrose is EV-7's debut putt and approach disc. It has reliable high-speed over stability and resistance to turn, but is uniquely straight with consistent fade at lower speeds on the putting green."

I agree. It seems like Drew just gels with that putter for whatever reason.

This is from EV-7's description of the Primrose. I never heard of this mold before and was doing some research. I don't see how the description can be possible. High speed over stable, and low speed straight with some consistent fade? It seems to me if it were high speed over stable, then it would be more overstable at low speed / putting speeds.

"The Penrose is EV-7's debut putt and approach disc. It has reliable high-speed over stability and resistance to turn, but is uniquely straight with consistent fade at lower speeds on the putting green."

1) Players definitely click better with certain putters for a variety of reasons. Certainly seems to be the case with Gibson and the Penrose. Glad it's working for him.

2) I get what you're saying about HSS and low speed fade. We tend to think of OS discs having more fade. I don't know exactly all the physical aspects of disc anatomy affect all the various flight ratings, but Innova clearly creating different ratings for Turn (or HSS) vs Fade (or LSS). We certainly think of IS discs "hooking" up and fading toward the end of flight, but the fact that we have two different numbers for those is some indication that those two flight characteristics, are at least somewhat independent.

All other things being equal...
My personal observation is that the wider the rim, the more fade you can expect. So it kinda makes sense that, if there's OS mold that doesn't fade much, it'd be a putter.

I'd still like to know what really makes the Penrose different in terms of it's weighting, because I can see some sort of gyro effect help to keep it on line better. Maybe more of the mass is on the rim than conventional putters? :confused:

1) Players definitely click better with certain putters for a variety of reasons. Certainly seems to be the case with Gibson and the Penrose. Glad it's working for him.

2) I get what you're saying about HSS and low speed fade. We tend to think of OS discs having more fade. I don't know exactly all the physical aspects of disc anatomy affect all the various flight ratings, but Innova clearly creating different ratings for Turn (or HSS) vs Fade (or LSS). We certainly think of IS discs "hooking" up and fading toward the end of flight, but the fact that we have two different numbers for those is some indication that those two flight characteristics, are at least somewhat independent.

All other things being equal...
My personal observation is that the wider the rim, the more fade you can expect. So it kinda makes sense that, if there's OS mold that doesn't fade much, it'd be a putter.

I'd still like to know what really makes the Penrose different in terms of it's weighting, because I can see some sort of gyro effect help to keep it on line better. Maybe more of the mass is on the rim than conventional putters? :confused:

I think the descriptions are written by the marketing folks and not the engineering folks.

The bolded section seems to be a contradiction of terms. If the disc doesn't fade much then it is stable vs OS. I'm wondering if the Penrose is beaded which would likely make it more OS, as opposed to having a wider rim like a driver.

I have noticed that some of my putter molds are more understable, even at putting speeds. They will have a slight turn, or if I put a hyzer angle on the putt they will hold straight. I had a great reaction from one of my card mates few years ago when I threw a beat up Proxy on a 220 foot hole. I put a sharp hyzer angle on it and he was expecting it to hyzer/fade out way left of the basket and the disc just stayed completely straight and went over the top of the basket. He asked hey How did you do That! lol.

I believe Dave Mac does it with the wizard, maybe a few other molds as well, but the plate is not a uniform thickness across the diameter of the disc.

Center portion of the plate is the thinnest and gets thicker working out to the rim. I'm not sure what the increase in thickness actually is, if it's perceivable, and if it adds any significant gyroscopic effect to the flight.

I'm guessing the unique weight distribution is something along those lines. My local shop stocks a few and I thought they felt similar to a wizard. Wizards are fairly beefy for a "stable" putter when fresh but I think the penrose is supposed to be slightly more so.