• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I think people do buy Nikko's discs - or discs he throws. There are people who really support him. And he is a good player once you get past his temper tantrums and rules violations (mainly the time issue).

He might not be a big 'mover' of discs for brands....but that could be due to his not frequently being on the lead card and therefore less visible.

My Opinion here......
Personally, I think we will see a change with Nikko this coming year. He was proven (by Calvin Heimberg) to be taking too long to putt. He's changed brand's a few times....was it his choice or the brand's due to his tantrums, etc? Westside and Nikko just parted ways - so he's lost another brand - while it might have been his decision....I think it was Westside letting him go due to his issues on the course and in social media. Pretty soon, Nikko might find himself without a sponsor if he doesn't improve his act.
He definitely has a fan base. He was one of the absolute best in that period before Paul and Ricky spearheaded the next generation. Three consecutive PDGA Player of the Year awards, 2 National Tour titles, a USDGC, and he's managed to win a few times now on DGPT in the modern era, so people get a chance to see his name at the top and look him up, realize how accomplished he is. He's got a lot of detractors, but the fact is that he's done more than enough to be, within the sport, a top name. If he can add a DGPT or World Title (especially a World Title) he'll have a really complete career, especially with it being a decade after his prior high moments.

Does anyone have info from golf, that do average joes care what pros swing with or swing at, and buy accordingly?

Its just that were talking about cheap roundy pieces of plastic vs what do the good clubs cost? 2K?

I have always thought disc golf is unique from other pro sports in this sense. Us normies can go and buy the exact same equipment the pros are using for 15$-30$. I would think that cant be said for the majority of other pro sports where equipment is already generally more expensive and is made further expensive when they are custom made and fitted for each athlete.

quick search finds:
official NBA ball ~200$
official NFL ball ~120$
mike trout glove ~360$
bassmaster winner fishing rod ~ 250$
mickelson callaway driver ~530$
tour de france winning bike ~17000$

I wonder how much this affects newer players vs older players?

I know I never bought a disc in my life because Climo threw it. Or any other pro. I understand fans, but I don't understand imitation just because someone else uses it.

Everybody was throwing KC Pro Rocs, Eagles, and Cheetahs back in the day. For a few different reasons. The selection of available discs and manufacturers was limited back then, and like tour series discs today, people wanted to support Kenny.

I throw mostly MVP now, and bought a commemorative Envy to support James Conrad. But I still throw what works for me, not what works for Conrad.

Imitation is nothing new. People drank Gatorade so they could Be Like Mike.

I have always thought disc golf is unique from other pro sports in this sense. Us normies can go and buy the exact same equipment the pros are using for 15$-30$. I would think that cant be said for the majority of other pro sports where equipment is already generally more expensive and is made further expensive when they are custom made and fitted for each athlete.

quick search finds:
official NBA ball ~200$
official NFL ball ~120$
mike trout glove ~360$
bassmaster winner fishing rod ~ 250$
mickelson callaway driver ~530$
tour de france winning bike ~17000$
I mean back in the day I had a Wilson A200 H-web infielders glove that was the same model George Brett used. I think it was $120. I'm sure he had his custom fit to his hand somehow, but it was the same glove. I only needed the one glove.

It didn't take me very long after picking up disc golf as a hobby to have $120 worth of $7 discs. It works out to about 17 discs.

Add in inflation and you can get about 22 $16 discs for that $360 you are paying for a Mike Trout glove. It's in the ballpark.

I think some of is....it works for them, it should work for me. Then there is the....I'll be a fan and support <whomever> by buying stuff with their name or what they use. Happens with every sport....that's why Nike sponsored Tiger Woods at the beginning of his golf career....fans would buy Nike gear just because of Tiger.

i mean the logic is there

if it worked for a world champ or for the world distance record its got to at least be above average if not the best

then my noodle doesnt translate over and i couldnt figure out why david feltburg was throwing some piece of crap boss that only knew how to cut hard left and eventually gave it up

little bit of a learning curve but its in general a good place to start

go out and buy one of every disc that has ken klimo stamp on it and youre tourney ready baby

It is clear that some players do move plastic, but that certainly doesn't apply to everyone on tour. I recently saw discs endorsed by Erika Stynchcomb and Anthony Barela priced at $26 and $30 respectively. No disrespect to the former, I want a new Sword but it's not worth $26 to me, and her endorsement of a mold that I was throwing long before I'd heard of her does not enhance it's value.

It's a real crapshoot for these manufacturers. Who do they sign, and for how much, and for how long. The number of signature discs has exploded, and the price of those signature discs has risen dramatically. This surge has come at the expense and availability of molds which are not endorsed. I am generally an outlier, but my disc buying habits have been changed by this sudden surge in prices.

Well, that was one of the most unemotional goodbye posts I have seen.

I'm not thinking he was happy there.

How many moves can a player make before they hurt their worth as an endorser? Wysocki was amazing throwing the Harp, and then he was amazing throwing the Pig. I'm sure he'll be amazing throwing whatever he next chooses next. I would think that from an endorsement standpoint winning multiple titles with one disc would be better than proving you can do it with anything they hand you.

I suppose that will continue the narrative of "here at discraft, we buy world titles." Add more claw marks to discs. Shrugs.

Assuming Discraft is in business to make money...who should they be going after? I would think Cat would be one of the top few FPO players for any company.

To this point the "buying world titles" and "adding claw marks" seems to have been a massive success.

I guess I don't understand why you would think Discraft would not be trying to make as much money as possible?

Assuming Discraft is in business to make money...who should they be going after? I would think Cat would be one of the top few FPO players for any company.

To this point the "buying world titles" and "adding claw marks" seems to have been a massive success.

I guess I don't understand why you would think Discraft would not be trying to make as much money as possible?

Never insinuated it was a bad strategy. I don't blame them. Just echoing the remarks when McB and PP were brought onto the "team." You know, to be "silly."

It has clearly worked for them. No doubt. And good for them. I wish all companies success! And I like Cat. She's from MN, so we bleed the same blood. I also like trilogy (DD moreso), and would [have been]/[be] stoked to see Cat throw some DD.

No knock on HK. She's got nowhere to go but up. Keep that head on straight and she will be winning just as consistently as the other champs.

I knew there were some big changes coming but wow. Interesting to announce in the last day of the year.

How many moves can a player make before they hurt their worth as an endorser? Wysocki was amazing throwing the Harp, and then he was amazing throwing the Pig. I'm sure he'll be amazing throwing whatever he next chooses next. I would think that from an endorsement standpoint winning multiple titles with one disc would be better than proving you can do it with anything they hand you.

I'm sure with his next move part of his deal was his own line of discs. I could see a approach disc like the pig and harp that is in his signature line. I'm sure he saw Paul, PP and Conrad making their own line and raking in the cash.

Latest posts