• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Where has the "face of disc golf", "social media presence" strategy, of moving a sport from unheard of, to PGA status, ever worked? Has this been tried and successfully done in any other sports? Maybe it has, I can't think of any. Maybe it has been done in other sports, but I have just not seen any of it. Maybe it has been done in other sports and failed.

Maybe it is just an employment expectation, by disc manufacturers, to provide them marketing and advertising.

Where has the "face of disc golf", "social media presence" strategy, of moving a sport from unheard of, to PGA status, ever worked? Has this been tried and successfully done in any other sports? Maybe it has, I can't think of any. Maybe it has been done in other sports, but I have just not seen any of it. Maybe it has been done in other sports and failed.

Maybe it is just an employment expectation, by disc manufacturers, to provide them marketing and advertising.

There hasn't been a sport transitioning from obscure to mainstream in the age of social media so it's new territory. Any business that wants to sell you something is pouring resources into social media so you should probably get used to it.

It's not my thing, I prefer the MJ social media approach.

There hasn't been a sport transitioning from obscure to mainstream in the age of social media so it's new territory. Any business that wants to sell you something is pouring resources into social media so you should probably get used to it.

It's not my thing, I prefer the MJ social media approach.

I am going to disagree.

Rallycross, mountain biking, half pipe snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, boardercross, skicross, [All X Games], spikeball, cornhole, ultimate, rock climbing, MMA, tag, longest drive golf, pickleball, e-sports. These are just quickly off the top of my head. They are in various stages of large growth. I don't recall seeing any YouTube content from players. Some have had success and athletes are seen via commercial sponsorship, but player made content is nothing I have seen. Again, maybe it is out there.

I am going to disagree.

Rallycross, mountain biking, half pipe snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, boardercross, skicross, [All X Games], spikeball, cornhole, ultimate, rock climbing, MMA, tag, longest drive golf, pickleball, e-sports. These are just quickly off the top of my head. They are in various stages of large growth. I don't recall seeing any YouTube content from players. Some have had success and athletes are seen via commercial sponsorship, but player made content is nothing I have seen. Again, maybe it is out there.

Whatever, I'm gonna go check MJ's social media feeds while y'all hash this out.

I am going to disagree.

All so-called extreme sports have a very strong social media presence. I'm into mountain biking and there a lot of athletes having youtube and instagram channels. It's a very big deal actually. Athletes gets sponsorships due to their social media presence, even if they don't compete

Almost, if not all, e-sports competitors also stream pretty regularly. They may not be creating a lot of YouTube videos, but will generally be live several hours a week.

All so-called extreme sports have a very strong social media presence. I'm into mountain biking and there a lot of athletes having youtube and instagram channels. It's a very big deal actually. Athletes gets sponsorships due to their social media presence, even if they don't compete

Yeah man. Rock climbers have a s* ton of content too. Come to think of it, the most obscure thing you can think of right now, that you assume doesnt even exist, probably has a YouTube channel.

As an aside, and to be honest, as far as participating myself, I'm way more into mountain biking than into disc golf right now. Online though, I can forum quibble with the best of them about disc golf lol :D

Last edited:
Unfortunately—this (social media presence) is just water cooler talk, but it reflects the state of DG.

PMB and SockiBomb are the pinnacle of DG today and we (the fans) are talking about their social media presence. This was not the case with Jordan and Nike. It's not the case today with Lebron.

This wouldn't be a subject for discussion in the same way if we weee talking NFL, NBA, MLB. Social media gets those athletes in trouble.

You're correct, it doesn't matter in major sports because those already have established markets with giant amounts of sponsorship dollars floating around.

Social media following means free advertising for the manufacturers. It's also fairly easy to quantify, so they have an idea how many people they're reaching.

I was going to post similar. Social media is YUGE for the non-mainstream sports.

I guess I should also say that it impacts the mainstream. Even at the highest levels an athlete can get themselves in hot water with a tweet.

Re: extreme sports, during last Saturdays supercross race on NBC the riders were talking about some youtube videos they had made the previous week. I didn't pursue it any further than that, but obviously even one of the more mainstream fringe sports is relying on a fairly heavy dose of social media activity.

Not sure how you can read that that way, unless you don't count her championships as success.

I read it the same way as the other poster:

Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
" I feel like I'm set up for success.
There is no feeling like being on the course knowing your company has your back, knowing they know who you are, and they're proud of you and they want to see you succeed.

...I am honored and excited to be a part of team DGA and I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of the DGA Community "
v
Catrina Allen
Team DGA

In other words, my last company was not supporting me.

It sounds like this:

There is no feeling like being on the course knowing your company has your back = Cat doesn't feel Prodigy "had her back"

, knowing they know who you are = Cat feels Prodigy just considered her "another player"

, and they're proud of you and they want to see you succeed = Cat feels that Prodigy wasn't proud of her/what she did and didn't do things to help her succeed.

This is a bit of a generalization, but people get into activities that reflect their personality.

Disc golf is a serene, easy going activity and disc golfers tend to be quiet and reserved (Conrad, Heimburg, Dickerson, etc.).

While there are some disc golfers who like attention and have a strong media presence, many players do not feel comfortable in front of a camera and are not interested in putting themselves on display which is what social media is all about.

Just my 2 cents.

I am going to disagree.

You're just a crabby old man. It's there, but not on your radar.

(This is an affectionate compliment, by the way. Birds of a feather.)

I read it the same way as the other poster:

It sounds like this:

There is no feeling like being on the course knowing your company has your back = Cat doesn't feel Prodigy "had her back"

, knowing they know who you are = Cat feels Prodigy just considered her "another player"

, and they're proud of you and they want to see you succeed = Cat feels that Prodigy wasn't proud of her/what she did and didn't do things to help her succeed.

I don't think it reads that way unless you want it to read that way.

Latest posts