• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I listen to so many different podcasts they seem to almost meld together, but I heard someone recently saying this same thing about "teams".
I've said it before, so I'll say it again.
These are the early days of DG.
I believe in time someone will create a tourney that pits "teams" against each other. Sort of like the Presidents Cup they do in Europe. Just have to be patient man.

Well fwiw I know about a lot of Team events where it is a national stage.. A bunch of my friends play for Team Canada I think the one last year was in Estonia so there are team events. I think we came in third last year and first the year before.. But I'm pretty sure they weren't playing against people like Paul Mcbeth either

A "teams" thing would be very cool.
But I think the reason we probably won't see it comes down to the mighty, mighty dollar.
Would be kinda embarrassing to lose in a tourney like this.
Might hurt sales, for the loser.

Oh I agree. Which is why I think the concept of pushing 'teams' is silly as they do it now. That said, it could give some smaller companies or those with lower tier players some good face time. Innova and Discraft wouldn't get hurt either way, they still have many good players that move discs.

But it could really highlight the discs of some companies. Each throw could have a graphic on the disc, its flight numbers, and maybe a video montage once per round of great shots using that disc. IDK, just thinking out loud, cause I would love to see this, though as I said, I agree with you that I doubt I ever will.

God knows how long players like Stokely, Korver, and Barsby had to pinch pennies and sleep on people's couches just to make it around to all the Majors, NT's, etc.

Not that they just started playing, but...

Must be nice to be blossoming as a player right now, like Buhr, Robinson, Harris, the sisters Mandujano, Oliva, Mertsch. They came along when playing DG became a truly viable career choice. They'll never know the touring life of their elders endured. DG has become a legit profession.

Can't blame the old timers for sticking around (or in JK's case, returning to competitive play), with the $$$$ that's available now. Also damned impressive they can still be competitive at this level, after so many years.

I remember meeting Barsby at Rosedale slinging frisbees (deity?) out of the trunk of his old brown Buick (Oldsmobile?). He was truly grinding for the love of the game. I think people lose sight of how hard that generation worked to get the sport where it is now.

I remember meeting Barsby at Rosedale slinging frisbees (deity?) out of the trunk of his old brown Buick (Oldsmobile?). He was truly grinding for the love of the game. I think people lose sight of how hard that generation worked to get the sport where it is now.

Sweet. I was just at Rosedale today, stopped by DD store. Sadly, no pros.

Well fwiw I know about a lot of Team events where it is a national stage.. A bunch of my friends play for Team Canada I think the one last year was in Estonia so there are team events. I think we came in third last year and first the year before.. But I'm pretty sure they weren't playing against people like Paul Mcbeth either

The tournament you are referring to are the WFDF World Team Disc Golf Championships. The last edition took place in Croatia in 2022 (Winner: Estonia) and Estonia in 2019 (Winner: Finland).

https://www.wtdgc.sport/

A match play tournaments where each country gets to send a team. The european countries usually send their best team (with the players who are not touring full-time).
It tends to show the big difference between European Disc Golf, where teams are sent by the National Association, which is usually supported by the National Olympic Committee, and the USA where there is no national disc golf association.

The tournament is sanctionned by WFDF and has nothing to do with the PDGA, which is actually a good thing.

I had the chance to play and it was absolutely fantastic.

Sun King Discs just sent out an e-mail about the grand opening at their new location. Discraft team members promoted to be there for autographs. Ezra was listed.
May be nothing.
On a side note, I just looked at Discraft's Facebook page. It shows Uli with his arms crossed with Paige and Paul on each side. He looks mad/pout-faced he was "left off" Discraft's Elite Team. Somebody with posting skills can add it if so inclined.

MVP is announcing something tomorrow.

323902009_715014240068565_5232418903891509108_n.jpg

Last edited:
15 wins in A tiers or higher since 2014 might be enough for 7th place. I assume he was just referencing MPO. Ricky, Paul, Cale,Dickerson, and Calvin have more but no one else I looked up does (Orum, Brad Williams, Conrad, Feldberg and a few others). Most of the younger top guys don't have all that many wins. Nikko might but can't see his stats currently due to suspension.