• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I think anodes glide comparable to really any other putter I've thrown. I'd have given my electrons 3/4/0/0. Maybe 3/4/-.5/0
I'll keep that in mind. Key thing I'm getting from this is that I should at least check out the Anode, see how it feels and floats. I won't limit myself to just a Spin.

When putting, I've found the Anode to be slightly lower glide compared to the micro and non-beaded beaded Aviar variants I'm used to. The difference seems to come out when they get thrown, and it's weird, they don't "glide" per say, they just seem to penetrate downfield a bit better than other driving putters of their height.

I've putted with wizards forever but got a nice feeling softer nomad in a gyro mystery box last year. Putted a handful of rounds with it last winter and seemed like I was constantly missing low from more than 20 feet out. Disc seemed good and it'd just drop like a brick.

I push putt, only thing I could think of was the low rpm on the disc just didn't let it fly like it wanted.

No one can. That's not how plastic manufacturing works, even on extremely large scales. When we say a manufacturer is consistent it just means that they don't sell through each run very quickly.

That's absolutely false. Plastics manufacturing is NOT an inherently inaccurate process. As someone who has worked in plastic injection molding, actually having physically built the molds, as well as working QC for an injection facility, it's not that hard to be accurate and consistent. Just have to have the right standards in place. Some companies do far better than others, that's a fact.

I've toured facilities that make plastic injection parts with tolerances 5x smaller than the diameter of a hair on your head. It can absolutely be done. Granted, making frisbees to smack trees with do not have to be that precise, nor should they. But it is possible. Seen it. Done it.

That's absolutely false. Plastics manufacturing is NOT an inherently inaccurate process. As someone who has worked in plastic injection molding, actually having physically built the molds, as well as working QC for an injection facility, it's not that hard to be accurate and consistent. Just have to have the right standards in place. Some companies do far better than others, that's a fact.

I've toured facilities that make plastic injection parts with tolerances 5x smaller than the diameter of a hair on your head. It can absolutely be done. Granted, making frisbees to smack trees with do not have to be that precise, nor should they. But it is possible. Seen it. Done it.

Innova is hiring here's a link to the application.

https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6182323.careers?ApplyToJob=436605999

Dave Dunnipace explains on innova's end why there is variance in molds of the same disc here:

https://youtu.be/otuyJTylXcg?t=1047

to paraphrase him: its more of the batches of plastic they receive. "the plastic being very variable, manufacturers supposed to be sending us the same stuff every time, it never happens, we may get two to three different batches [different characteristics] per one load of plastic"

I'm sure the molds and conditions can be controlled but if your supply can't then you expect some variance.

I personally work in government medical laboratories (have worked US regional state labs in Nashville, Boston, and Seattle) and even with small parts for Mass Spectrometry, PCR, other machines that cost up to $300k that are plastic, metal and glass you'll see differences in the parts and quality change from procurement order to order. What companies do provide a lot of the time is a little quality sheet explaining if there's differences per batch and they do welcome feedback and be transparent to why certain fittings may be different. we can also communicate with the other state and regional labs and see if they are experiencing the same things too.

When putting, I've found the Anode to be slightly lower glide compared to the micro and non-beaded beaded Aviar variants I'm used to. The difference seems to come out when they get thrown, and it's weird, they don't "glide" per say, they just seem to penetrate downfield a bit better than other driving putters of their height.
That's what I was wondering about. That's literally the thought in my head as I comped it to the Warden, which has similar numbers and that I abandoned as a putting putter to go to the Deputy. The Warden is a must bag throwing putter for me, though. Maybe it turns out I add both the Anode AND Spin long term for those respective roles?

Last edited:
I'm sure the molds and conditions can be controlled but if your supply can't then you expect some variance.

While it is true that there is variance in the supplies of raw materials, there are ways to (mostly) account for the variables on an injection press. Accounting for said variance is what makes some companies more consistent than others. Just running every single batch of parts with the same exact press settings regardless of the raw material is a way to see wild variance in finished parts. It just takes decent quality standards to catch parts that are coming out as non conforming and make appropriate changes.

I'm sure every manufacturing field deals with their own versions of input variables. There are generally ways to handle them.

in the recreational sport market dealing with plastics i guess you could compare it to the bicycle industry. companies do make really consistently good quality high performing carbon fiber bike frames (99% of the time in Taiwan/china) but you're going to PAY a LOT for them.

the top tier stuff now makes for $15-18K flagship model bikes :( and now even "mid tier" bikes are in the $5-7K range :( :(

I don't want that to happen to disc golf... you'd probably be looking at $200-400 discs straight from the MVP/Innova/Trilogy flagship discs lol.

but to swing this back to sponsorship stuff... if MVP did create a higher quality consistent $300 flagship Simon distance driver you know disc golfers would eventually start buying them and raising that freaking bar making who you sponsor all the more lucrative/important.

While it is true that there is variance in the supplies of raw materials, there are ways to (mostly) account for the variables on an injection press. Accounting for said variance is what makes some companies more consistent than others. Just running every single batch of parts with the same exact press settings regardless of the raw material is a way to see wild variance in finished parts. It just takes decent quality standards to catch parts that are coming out as non conforming and make appropriate changes.

I'm sure every manufacturing field deals with their own versions of input variables. There are generally ways to handle them.

in the recreational sport market dealing with plastics i guess you could compare it to the bicycle industry. companies do make really consistently good quality high performing carbon fiber bike frames (99% of the time in Taiwan/china) but you're going to PAY a LOT for them.

the top tier stuff now makes for $15-18K flagship model bikes :( and now even "mid tier" bikes are in the $5-7K range :( :(

I don't want that to happen to disc golf... you'd probably be looking at $200-400 discs straight from the MVP/Innova/Trilogy flagship discs lol.

but to swing this back to sponsorship stuff... if MVP did create a higher quality consistent $300 flagship Simon distance driver you know disc golfers would eventually start buying them and raising that freaking bar making who you sponsor all the more lucrative/important.

In your scenario you project a 10-fold increase in price in order to have consistently performing discs. I am curious what you attribute that increase to.

$400 per disc is a far cry from $400 for a bag of good discs, so I personally don't see this as a likely scenario. I can see some collectors paying $400 for a disc, but not for consumer level discs for day to day usage.

(Apologies for continuing the thread drift, but I feel the numbers throw out here beg for a little further insight)

In your scenario you project a 10-fold increase in price in order to have consistently performing discs. I am curious what you attribute that increase to.

$400 per disc is a far cry from $400 for a bag of good discs, so I personally don't see this as a likely scenario. I can see some collectors paying $400 for a disc, but not for consumer level discs for day to day usage.

(Apologies for continuing the thread drift, but I feel the numbers throw out here beg for a little further insight)

I'm just saying you can have all the consistency and quality in discs you want but we as consumers will have to pay for it in the end.

I was [kind of] exaggerating about how much people will have to pay for these discs but I can see a scenario where a company like MVP will start to produce flagship models with markedly higher quality standards. They could easily start selling these flagship models at $150-200.

just like bicycles started selling for over $1000 in the 90's and it quickly ramped up to what you have today with flagship carbon fiber bikes almost hitting the $20k range now and mid tier bikes in the $5k range. I don't want that to happen with disc golf. it already happened to ball golf and tennis with clubs and rackets going crazy expensive.

IMO people would buy $100 discs at a sufficient pace to justify their existence- not much of a leap to get there from the secondary market for things like Sexton firebirds.

Things have really changed. I can distinctly remember telling Dave Henrickson (founder of Revolution Bags) back in the 90's that no one was ever going to want to pay $100 for a disc golf bag. Oops.

just like bicycles started selling for over $1000 in the 90's and it quickly ramped up to what you have today with flagship carbon fiber bikes almost hitting the $20k range now and mid tier bikes in the $5k range. I don't want that to happen with disc golf. it already happened to ball golf and tennis with clubs and rackets going crazy expensive.

Bikes, clubs, and rackets don't normally end up at the bottom of a pond or strike trees at 60mph or more.

The point being that at least with a bike, with care, you will own it for years or even decades (I still use a bike I bought in 1991, that only cost $300 then). A better comparison would be golf/tennis balls, not clubs.

The only place I would throw a $200 disc is an open field. No trees or water anywhere in sight. And I wouldn't want to play such a course with more than a couple holes like that.