• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

No one can. That's not how plastic manufacturing works, even on extremely large scales. When we say a manufacturer is consistent it just means that they don't sell through each run very quickly.

The company I work for used to mold plastic gears and pinions. Tolerance are often =/- .003" and we didn't exactly have a state of the art operation lol. Most of the tooling was way beyond useful life, no climate control, and molded parts were dumped in a bin under each machine to finish cooling before removing hot runners and flashing. Sure there were some parts that didn't meet tolerance, but if it was more than a very small % the mold room guys were in trouble.

I'm sure most any manufacturing engineer with experience molding plastic could show Innova how to consistently hit tolerances. Pretty sure the guys that work there now know what it would take and it's been deemed more profitable to continue with the status quo.

I'm just saying you can have all the consistency and quality in discs you want but we as consumers will have to pay for it in the end.

I was [kind of] exaggerating about how much people will have to pay for these discs but I can see a scenario where a company like MVP will start to produce flagship models with markedly higher quality standards. They could easily start selling these flagship models at $150-200.

just like bicycles started selling for over $1000 in the 90's and it quickly ramped up to what you have today with flagship carbon fiber bikes almost hitting the $20k range now and mid tier bikes in the $5k range. I don't want that to happen with disc golf. it already happened to ball golf and tennis with clubs and rackets going crazy expensive.

The only difference I see is that discs are inherently disposable, whereas bicycles are more like automobiles. With a little love, cars are built to last a long time. Eventually discs will wear out, get lost, etc. Even tennis racquets and golf clubs are built to last a long time, and the increase in price can usually be directly tied to an increase in quality and performance.

With discs, the manufacturer can't visibly prove an increase in performance between a $25 disc and a $250 disc. They will look and feel and even exactly the same.

Eventually discs will wear out, get lost, etc. Even tennis racquets and golf clubs are built to last a long time, and the increase in price can usually be directly tied to an increase in quality and performance.

people paying premiums for consistency and performance for throwing discs is inadvertently already happening.

collector value aside, people pay huge premiums for specific older discs like two/three line AJ Destroyers because throwers know how they will fly. 1st run PD's are easily identifiable because they have patent #'s and fly consistently firebird over stable but with more glide.

the guys who buy aj destroyers to throw know that it's going to be hitting trees and rocks and can be lost any given day but still pay huge premiums for said disc.

if a company can truly offer that right out of the manufacturers plant they can charge premiums and/or bill those as flagship models.

it looks like there are plastic manufacturing people experts in this thread and that's a good thing. i just think that if there really was a way to give us super consistent discs at current scale the innovas and dynamics would've been making the same exact consistent destroyers and truths for 5-10 straight years by now.

people paying premiums for consistency and performance for throwing discs is inadvertently already happening.

collector value aside, people pay huge premiums for specific older discs like two/three line AJ Destroyers because throwers know how they will fly. 1st run PD's are easily identifiable because they have patent #'s and fly consistently firebird over stable but with more glide.

the guys who buy aj destroyers to throw know that it's going to be hitting trees and rocks and can be lost any given day but still pay huge premiums for said disc.

if a company can truly offer that right out of the manufacturers plant they can charge premiums and/or bill those as flagship models.

it looks like there are plastic manufacturing people experts in this thread and that's a good thing. i just think that if there really was a way to give us super consistent discs at current scale the innovas and dynamics would've been making the same exact consistent destroyers and truths for 5-10 straight years by now.

If this happens it will be a limited niche market.

To get this thread somewhat back on track, I personally liked MVP's approach with the James Conrad green and blue envy release after The Shot. Anyone who wants one, gets one, and at the same price. I don't see MVP intentionally jacking up prices.

If this happens it will be a limited niche market.

To get this thread somewhat back on track, I personally liked MVP's approach with the James Conrad green and blue envy release after The Shot. Anyone who wants one, gets one, and at the same price. I don't see MVP intentionally jacking up prices.

Ha they made so many, even people that didn't want one couldn't pass them up when the market was flooded and they were cheap.

So I generally like the Infinite Discs cross-company ratings system. Would you say their ratings in this case are way off?

Their ratings:

Deputy: 3 / 4 / -1.4 / 0

Anode: 3 / 3.1 / 0 / 0.4
Spin: 3 / 4 / -1.7 / 0

In terms of physical profile all three are very similar, with both the Anode and Spin being just a touch smaller diameter, the Anode being slightly taller and Spin slightly shorter, and the Anode having the same rim depth as the Deputy. When talking about a putt of 20 feet or less, flight numbers don't really mean that much.

All told the two most important characteristics for me are the glide and the low speed fade, which is where the Spin and Deputy are most similar on this rating scale. This wouldn't be a throwing putter, it would be a putting putter. So being able to have more glide at the same speed and having less fade when at the low speeds that putting happens at means I don't want to transition to the Anode if the Infinite Discs numbers are accurate.
I'm solely basing my opinion on putting with them. Probably because the Anode "feels" more like the Deputy.

Last edited:
Consistency comes at a price…
There's an old saying in manufacturing: "You can have quality, speed or low cost. Pick two."
Discs are made in such quantity, that there isn't much time to perfect the process for each run of disc or plastic.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it can't be done, the discussion revolves around if it is economically profitable.

It would be interesting to see if any of the numerous new disc mfrs tries a new business model around the balance of guaranteed consistency and at what price.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program:
1. Are we waiting on any more major announcements?
2. Is BBQ a part of anyone's contract?

I'm solely basing my opinion on putting with them. Probably because the Anode "feels" more like the Deputy.

I think you are right with feel.. My buddy uses soft deputy's. Flight wise though it takes a little while to beat the fade out of an anode. (I haven't done an electron cycle with those though). I would say the spin is less stable than the deputy on a drive but similar for putting, it might lose height a little faster but it is understable right out of the box.

(From the few times I've thrown my friends deputy)

So have I, with Discmania. Hence no change in the signature, hope to keep that going :)

However, whooo boy that bag needs to be updated. Im not even sure what Im going to go with. I took the plunge and purged all other manufacturers and Innova manufactured DM stuff from there. I have like 6 discs "in the bag" at the moment that I havent even thrown once yet lol. Spring is still long ways away

So have I, with Discmania. Hence no change in the signature, hope to keep that going :)

However, whooo boy that bag needs to be updated. Im not even sure what Im going to go with. I took the plunge and purged all other manufacturers and Innova manufactured DM stuff from there. I have like 6 discs "in the bag" at the moment that I havent even thrown once yet lol. Spring is still long ways away

I guess it was your decision to throw newer Discmania molds exclusively, and not a request by the sponsor?