• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Consistency comes at a price…
There's an old saying in manufacturing: "You can have quality, speed or low cost. Pick two."
Discs are made in such quantity, that there isn't much time to perfect the process for each run of disc or plastic.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it can't be done, the discussion revolves around if it is economically profitable.

It would be interesting to see if any of the numerous new disc mfrs tries a new business model around the balance of guaranteed consistency and at what price.

Didn't 1 disc company use to stamp batch info on the discs? This doesn't add quality but it would make it easier to find similar flying discs, based purely off plastic.

Millennium usually designates runs on the stamp. For a while Mint Discs had serial numbers/runs also and on top of that would be very transparent about stability of various colors and plastics

Didn't 1 disc company use to stamp batch info on the discs? This doesn't add quality but it would make it easier to find similar flying discs, based purely off plastic.

I guess it was your decision to throw newer Discmania molds exclusively, and not a request by the sponsor?

I dont think I want to go into details because people will generalize it to all sponsor deals. But since I finally got rid of all the other manufacturers (which wasnt a big leap), I decided to go the whole hog and start throwing only stuff that is still made.* Partly just as a challenge to myself to learn new molds and not just falling back on what I used to throw.

*Spare me the comments about Innova still making them. Not going to bite.

Millennium usually designates runs on the stamp. For a while Mint Discs had serial numbers/runs also and on top of that would be very transparent about stability of various colors and plastics

Mint still does this. I have a Lobster from last summer and the run is labeled.

Infinite also stamps their runs. I don't know if the x-outs are marked.

I wish more manufacturers did this. It saves time looking for a replacement.

someone already answered but to be completely clear, Millenium has always and still does this on their runs of discs.

it makes it really easy to identify CE plastic in Millenium runs

Ricky's manager Ari lost her 'sponsor' - she's no longer 'wooing' for him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/10fo7au/last_woo_for_a_while/

Wonder if you'll see her appear back on tour supporting somebody else?

From what I remember seeing in interviews she pretty much handled everything for him. Social media, shipping merch, caddy duties, and probably a bunch of other things. That could be a big time saver for anybody.

Pure speculation obviously, but first thought would be that she felt undercompensated. No doubt she freed up time for Rick so he could focus solely on playing, and to him that was probably a huge stress reliever, but if you look at everything she was doing plus the cost of being on the road was it worthwhile for her?

Now that we're seeing more of these larger deals being negotiated with agents and attorneys it makes you wonder if she will gravitate to that side of the business. I believe in an interview after Rick signed his most recent deal with Dynamic they said she was pretty involved in the process.

I also thought he mentioned she does his laundry as well, and that they did not have an actual contract between them. I wouldn't be surprised either to see her working for another pro, or even a team, soon. She's part of our community now, no matter what you think of her "expressiveness". Plus I giggle when Doss says, "That's Ari-approved" on the broadcast.

Mint still does this. I have a Lobster from last summer and the run is labeled.

Infinite also stamps their runs. I don't know if the x-outs are marked.

I wish more manufacturers did this. It saves time looking for a replacement.

Doing that would point out how inconsistent they are.

I remember after Rick had signed his big contract last year, him and Ari went on Smashboxxx and Terry asked about her compensation and it got awkward to say the least. Apparently a good portion of her earnings was a 50/50 split of discs she sold on the road. So in addition to doing all the other things mentioned, she had to list, package, and ship discs to try to earn some extra coin.

Ricky is also notoriously cheap. He will wear hand me down shoes until they are bursting at the seems. He once tried to crowdsource a new logo by offering to pay 5 discs to the designer. It's not all that surprising there was eventually a fall-out. Perhaps Rick's girlfriend will take over some of Ari's duties in lieu of hiring a new manager.

RPM puts the manufacture month and year on the back of all discs. Makes it easy to identify runs

I remember after Rick had signed his big contract last year, him and Ari went on Smashboxxx and Terry asked about her compensation and it got awkward to say the least. Apparently a good portion of her earnings was a 50/50 split of discs she sold on the road. So in addition to doing all the other things mentioned, she had to list, package, and ship discs to try to earn some extra coin.

Ricky is also notoriously cheap. He will wear hand me down shoes until they are bursting at the seems. He once tried to crowdsource a new logo by offering to pay 5 discs to the designer. It's not all that surprising there was eventually a fall-out. Perhaps Rick's girlfriend will take over some of Ari's duties in lieu of hiring a new manager.

I was thinking along those lines as well, girlfriend assumes the role and he no longer pays Ari.

Again, speculation on my part but I took the same impression as you from that interview. She probably asked for something in writing and it was not well received.

TrashPanda is creating discs out of recycled plastics and they are putting the date (month/year) on the discs. That's a huge help since they have to source recycled plastic and the plastic could change between sourcings. For example, they sourced enough plastic for an initial run of 10,000 Inner Core discs. They'd have to source more for another run. That source might be the same company, but the plastic might not be exactly the same. TrashPanda gets its plastic already colored, so another batch might be a different color and could possibly affect flight.

I for one would be more likely to buy discs from a company if they labeled every disc with a run number on them.

It'll be interesting to see how the Ricky/Ari thing plays out, and how Rick's year goes without all the little (and not so little) things she was doing for him.

Given the kind of $$$$ the sport has evolved to, you can't blame players for hiring a road mgr or whatever, to help smooth out the bumps of life on the tour.

Really makes appreciate what those before had to do pretty much on their own and a shoestring budget.

*tips cap to K.C., J. K, and Elaine King for kicking @ss before DG wa$ cool.* ;)

Last edited: