• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I'm guessing the lone star pic is a troll post, similar to Brodie's testing some plastic post a few weeks ago.

He knows people are anxious for an announcement and he's milking it.

I would be weird if he started posting random pictures of his new sponsor before an official announcement. That would be a horrible way to ruin the hype

The late announcement is a smart move. Would be great if we only found out the day of the all-star event, or ideally, the first round of LVC. Speculation would be rampant. Much more exciting than whatever 30 second video everyone runs in January with lo-fi beats and smash zooms.

Gannon's putter has a GB entwined in the Prodigy PD font. Got to be a non-zero chance this is all a troll ala Kevin Jones last year.

Also could still be putting with PA-3s and switch things up next week. Though he doesn't seem to be putting very well. Clutches up at the end though.

Gannon's putter has a GB entwined in the Prodigy PD font. Got to be a non-zero chance this is all a troll ala Kevin Jones last year.

Also could still be putting with PA-3s and switch things up next week. Though he doesn't seem to be putting very well. Clutches up at the end though.

Buhr confirmed on Instagram he's throwing prodigy this weekend. No reason that should stop him from switching sponsors before LVC.

Look there are people all around this guy this weekend...someone has to be able to determine what the discs are he is throwing and listening to all the chatter and come away with an answer...then its to be posted on the internets...lets get on this already.

Look there are people all around this guy this weekend...someone has to be able to determine what the discs are he is throwing and listening to all the chatter and come away with an answer...then its to be posted on the internets...lets get on this already.

Brian Earhart declined to say anything when the booth guys asked him what Gannon was throwing this week. He said something like I could tell you but Gannon would likely kill me, lol. I doesn't look like there are too many fans close enough to get a decent look.

He's throwing Prodigy this weekend according to his Instagram.

Pretty solid article. It's gonna be a mess.

Speculation obviously, but this is how I perceived the article.

Gannon wanted out, probably figured Prodigy would just allow it to happen without much of a fight. Talked to an attorney in case it came to that. Some of the points were valid, some seemed like a stretch. He probably figured he had enough ammo to force Prodigy's hand into letting him walk away and they decided to fight back.

Social media comments and memes seem weak to be submitting in court, but in reality I think we all would agree that Gannon leaving would probably result in some amount of lost revenue…that's why manufacturers sign sponsorship deals in the first place…to increase sales.

It's gonna boil down to what is actually spelled out in the contract. As we've learned over the years a lot of sponsorships were handshake deals. I think that has probably went away by now, but I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of contracts are bare bone agreements that don't specifically cover a lot of various scenarios like we've seen in the last year or two…which is probably why he assumed he wouldn't get much push back.

It's a bad look for both parties. Prodigy looks bad for going after a 17 year old (who knows how his mom's co-signing will impact the contract validity). Seems reasonable to think the Paige situation lined up almost identical a few years ago, but she didn't want to pursue it in court so she finished the year out pretty much in protest. It doesn't look good for Gannon either…tons of talent and many years to be at the top of the game. Do you want to align yourself with somebody who is going to court with his current sponsor? Claims might be bogus, but in 2-3 years if he's not happy are you gonna end up in the same boat?

Not surprising this finally happened after sponsorship changes have been the Wild West the last couple years.

I might as well pile on Prodigy LOL

A number of years back:
Me to Prodigy Wholesale: I'm no longer carrying Prodigy in my store due to years of low sales and poor support.
Prodigy Wholesale: That's fine, you're not good enough to carry Prodigy. You obviously aren't trying hard enough to promote us.
Me: ....
Will: Sorry about them

A lot of the verbiage in the lawsuit reminds me of the toddler mentality that they have given me and other retailers through the years. Heck, it was a battle trying to get junk bags with missing stitching and upside down logos, and white film decaying discs replaced by them. I always thought I was conversing with young kids when I'd have contact with them. I don't know who's pushing fact or fiction in the matter, but Prodigy sure comes across as a bunch of toddlers. Memes in court filings is hilarious to me. They have claimed to dealers that their sales are nothing to worry about, but in the lawsuit they claim GB leaving could end the company. Bad look for both parties IMO.

I will also say, the flashing is a real issue. Every disc I have felt in the local shop feels sharp around the bottom inside edge. I almost bought a couple discs too, but didn't solely because of that quality problem

Interesting bit from the article I thought…he initially reached out about leaving back in November. We've all been under the impression that him leaving got hot and heavy once DM found out Simon was going to MVP.

I wonder if somebody else was courting Gannon and DM sniped him late with that MVP buyout cash money.