• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Longest hole in the World

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
What is the longest hole in the world?

This is only for currently active holes, so extinct courses don't officially count. Please only post holes longer than the current longest hole, and add pictures whenever possible. Please give the length, hole number, course, and location.

Even though extinct courses don't officially count but they would still be nice to see, so feel free to post them but just note that they are extinct.

To get this started:
1503 ft

Campgaw Reservation - Blue/Black in Mahwah, NJ. Hole 18 Blue/Black

590669a0.jpg

It looks like the basket is across a road or an asphalt parking lot. Is that the case?
0837308e.jpg

Haven't seen it, but supposedly hole 8 on Highbridge Gold has a tee for 1776'.

What is the longest hole in the world?

This is only for currently active holes, so extinct courses don't officially count. Please only post holes longer than the current longest hole, and add pictures whenever possible. Please give the length, hole number, course, and location.

Even though extinct courses don't officially count but they would still be nice to see, so feel free to post them but just note that they are extinct.

To get this started:
1503 ft

Campgaw Reservation - Blue/Black in Mahwah, NJ. Hole 18 Blue/Black

590669a0.jpg

It looks like the basket is across a road or an asphalt parking lot. Is that the case?
0837308e.jpg

I played it in 2012 but thought the target was on the left side before the walkway. The parking lot is the left of the target as I remember.

Are you comfortable calling a hole the longest when it doesn't have a "permanent style" tee pad?

Are you comfortable calling a hole the longest when it doesn't have a "permanent style" tee pad?
I'm not totally sure what the question infers, but my criterion would be that the hole layout must be permanent and listed as such on DGCR. So even if there was a natural tee, and no real "permanent" tee, and it is only marked by a stake in the ground, if the layout is permanent it counts. Would you please clarify what you are referring to? And what do you think, Chuck?

I'm not totally sure what the question infers, but my criterion would be that the hole layout must be permanent and listed as such on DGCR. So even if there was a natural tee, and no real "permanent" tee, and it is only marked by a stake in the ground, if the layout is permanent it counts. Would you please clarify what you are referring to? And what do you think, Chuck?
I'm suggesting that without some minimum standards, you simply have an arms race in the same way our longest throw record was essentially "ruined" moving forward by not specifying a wind speed maximum. Any course location with the space can throw a board in the ground and call it their "championship" tee the longest hole in the world. Not saying that's what Dan did at Campgaw, but simply discussing the problem with these "longest" records.

Flyboys runway hole.

Not only is it long but you have to bail immediately at the sight or sound of an airplane.

I'm suggesting that without some minimum standards, you simply have an arms race in the same way our longest throw record was essentially "ruined" moving forward by not specifying a wind speed maximum. Any course location with the space can throw a board in the ground and call it their "championship" tee the longest hole in the world. Not saying that's what Dan did at Campgaw, but simply discussing the problem with these "longest" records.

Fortunately there is no real "payoff" for having the longest hole/course/whatever so what difference does it make? If it's playable whenever the course is open it is an extant hole regardless of the construction of the tee.

I screwed around a bit on the farm with the idea of building a "world's longest" course but the quality of the golf would have been so marginal that I lost interest very quickly.

Years ago played in an event (1st round was mixed cards) which had a "1/4-mile hole" on it. Dead straight, OB corn field all down the right side and gnarly pickers / bushes / woods down the left. Fairway was about 60-70' wide. At the end of the hole, 1 player swore he'd gotten an 8 (he got a 9); another thought he took a 10 (we gave him a 12). The moral of the story is that, for most players, any hole which 'forces' you (too long, too penal, etc.) to take too many shots potentially yields error-full scores. Remember, the PDGA doesn't mandate abaci to be carried in every 4-some.

Long for the sake for being long is not a reason to play a disc golf course for me. You put in a long-a$$ed hole just so you can say its the longest in the world I'll say, "Whatever" and move on with life and never play that course ever again. UAH in Huntsville, Alabama has several holes that are really long for the sake of being long. Hudson Hills Metropark Monster has an idiotic 1000-footer which is way way out of place on that course. It's silly.

If you have a really long hole it better bring something unusual or entertaining to the course even for the noodle arms. A really long downhill hole is super entertaining for me. Going uphill - forget it. I have better things to do with my life than spend an hour on a single hole.

Not close to world's longest, but one of our local courses had the longest hole in Washington state at 1022'. It was par 5, and the first 400' had an elevation gain of 15-20 feet. It was a bit ridiculous, and a couple years ago the course designer re-structured some holes, and made 2 better holes out of the one long hole. Long, just to be long, is just unnecessary, IMO. Some people do like then, so there's that.

Yep, take this for example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2017/09/16/welcome-longest-golf-hole-ever-played-2000km-par-14000/

Par 14,000. ;)

Not close to world's longest, but one of our local courses had the longest hole in Washington state at 1022'. It was par 5, and the first 400' had an elevation gain of 15-20 feet. It was a bit ridiculous, and a couple years ago the course designer re-structured some holes, and made 2 better holes out of the one long hole. Long, just to be long, is just unnecessary, IMO. Some people do like then, so there's that.

Old Settler's Park in Round Rock, Texas has a 1003' hole with about 4 widely spaced trees. For me it was drive, drive, drive, approach, putt. Nothing interesting about that hole at all.

Ive played it. Other than being long, its really not a memorable hole.

This is precisely the kind of thing I am talking about. You have 1000' why no divide it up into two holes...one 400 and one 600 - or what ever and do something interesting with it. At those lengths a good designer will still get scoring separation even amongst the pros.

And frankly, if you need a 1000+ footer to make your course interesting then maybe your chosen plot of land isn't the best for DG. Sure, there are 1000+ foot holes on the DGPT and I am ok with those because from what I've seen they're very well designed. Usually what I see though on these ultra long holes just looks like a chore to me rather than fun disc golf.

... if you need a 1000+ footer to make your course interesting then maybe your chosen plot of land isn't the best for DG. Sure, there are 1000+ foot holes on the DGPT and I am ok with those because from what I've seen they're very well designed. Usually what I see though on these ultra long holes just looks like a chore to me rather than fun disc golf.

Agreed! In the region around Cincinnati to Louisville, there are a handful that I feel are long just for the sake of being long, even on an otherwise wonderful course. For instance, Hole 6 at Seviren Lang (1011') is actually a bit of a let-down compared to the rest of this neat course. But the 1000 foot hole 15 at Idlewild forces you to keep it in the fairway when the rough gets to 5 feet high in late summer, and finishes in an astonishingly gorgeous approach and island green. And it manages to stay in the minds of folks who've played there.

I agree about # 15 at Idelwild. It's maybe the only 1000 hole that I've seen that I actually thought it a well designed hole. Way too challenging for this old man, though.

Agreed! In the region around Cincinnati to Louisville, there are a handful that I feel are long just for the sake of being long, even on an otherwise wonderful course. For instance, Hole 6 at Seviren Lang (1011') is actually a bit of a let-down compared to the rest of this neat course. But the 1000 foot hole 15 at Idlewild forces you to keep it in the fairway when the rough gets to 5 feet high in late summer, and finishes in an astonishingly gorgeous approach and island green. And it manages to stay in the minds of folks who've played there.