• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The lost art of course reviewing

Ironic how some complain there aren't many reviews these days, yet cheer at the thought of certain reviewers leaving the site.

Definitely displays the pretentious attitude so rife at this dinosaur of a website. Don't dare break unwritten rule # 12—only reviews that agree with the aging dinosaur reviews from 12 years ago will be welcome.

Most of all, do not violate unwritten rule # 1 which is, Flip City, no matter how many better courses are built, will always have reviews deleted that will drop it out of the top 10.

You could give Flip a 0 and the avg would decrease to 4.798 and it would retain 3rd place. With 225 reviews, each new one is just a drop in the bucket. 5 consecutive 0 star reviews would put it at 4.715 and at the border of the top 10.

If someone's deleting Flip reviews because they are worried about it getting bumped from the top 10, then they don't understand basic math.

You could give Flip a 0 and the avg would decrease to 4.798 and it would retain 3rd place. With 225 reviews, each new one is just a drop in the bucket. 5 consecutive 0 star reviews would put it at 4.715 and at the border of the top 10.

If someone's deleting Flip reviews because they are worried about it getting bumped from the top 10, then they don't understand basic math.

I never claimed that the moderators here understand math.

i don't see any problems here at DGCR

on a site where basically all the content is user-generated, you can be the change you want to see or shut the f*ck up. the idea that the creator of this site owes anyone anything is some really spoiled, privileged bull$hit.

That's a textbook example of how old businesses do not adapt to changing times.

Inspired by this thread, I made my first review for a fun little nine hole course. It's a work in progress and hopefully my current rating is fairly accurate. Having talked to the course designer about future plans I think it could be a 4.0 to 4.5 type of course.

Excellent review. Got a 👍 from me.

My understanding is that DGCR uses a weighted system where the strength of the reviewer changes that math. As in the net effect of a diamond reviewer giving a zero is greater than a bronze reviewer.

I am realizing that I have believed this for years and I do not know if this is true or not, but that has always been my understanding.

My understanding is that DGCR uses a weighted system where the strength of the reviewer changes that math. As in the net effect of a diamond reviewer giving a zero is greater than a bronze reviewer.

I am realizing that I have believed this for years and I do not know if this is true or not, but that has always been my understanding.

My understanding is that it's a straight average of all reviews, with no weighting for TR, experience, age of review, or anything else.

I don't think that's the case, but not certain either. I'm sure I've read forum debates where someone was suggesting giving extra weight to TRs, but I don't think Tim was ever on board with that idea.

I think there is some adjustment made to drop older reviews (and I just did the straight math in my response to MikeK earlier, shame on me), but I can't find anything official supporting that.

Most people have gave their honest reviews (personal opinion) just to have many of the negative members create a forum about bad reviews. LOL. Reminds me of the 2000 Grinch movie, where Jim Carrey checks his answering machine and is surpised he does not even have 1 message. He say "Odd, I better check the outgoing".....then the machine plays...."If you even utter 1 word, I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish". Kinda reminds me of this site!

David is correct. Reviews are not currently weighted. neither by time or by trusted reviewer attainment or by anything.

both have been proposed to Timg before.

a few months ago i had produced a list of top courses using DGCR data where the ratings were based only on the last ten trusted reviewed reviews (five minimum TR reviews). Lake Marshall Lions, Lake Marshall Lair and Eagle's Crossing have actually all recently made the top ten on that alternate, non DCGC official, List.

My understanding is that it's a straight average of all reviews, with no weighting for TR, experience, age of review, or anything else.

^This.

Despite all the discussion we have had about what Tim should/shouldn't do to improve the rating system, (and by we, I mean all us ratings nerds who post endlessly about this stuff)...

I'm pretty sure Tim doesn't pore over all the discussion in the "Movement in the Top 10" or other threads looking for our little tidbits.

Unless you PM'd Tim, or posted it in the "Site Suggestions, Bugs & Help" sub-forum, any suggestions we've made, were simply made to the rest of us.

I'm not implying he would/wouldn't be receptive, or that he doesn't care. I'm just saying he doesn't read endless posts in numerous threads, and it's basically just a matter of dumb luck if he happens to trip over some "golden nugget" somebody posted in any of a number of different threads.

Last edited:
I don't even understand why a certain troll is here. He doesn't like the site. The MODs are all out to get him. He only wants to bitch about it. Such wasted energy..... (Hmm...I rated a Houck course a 4.0 and my review is still there...)

As for reviewing. I started using DGCR solely as a course directory. I used the reviews sometimes to choose between courses that I was looking to play. A lot of the courses in rural areas (especially here in Iowa) have little to no info and no reviews. I thought I could contribute, so I began to. Now I'm kind of addicted to doing it. I go in waves, though. I have a list of about 20-25 courses to add at least reviews to. Many to add pictures to. Some I'm drawing maps for. I have at 3 more that are not on the site yet, but will be soon. (Silver Discoverer badge, here I come...)

Not everyone will want to review. I get that. The people here are very supportive, if you put in some effort (and aren't an a$$). The way the site continues is with continued effort. Could there be more/changed features?....yes. Is the site good as is?...yes. As a user driven site, we, the users play a large part in it. I'm glad to see people review. I DO look at them, even if they are ones I might not play. But, who knows, I might get a chance. Headed down to Kansas City this weekend which was not solidified until 24 hours ago. Now, I'll be looking through the reviews to play a course or two while I'm down there. I DO use UDisc occasionally. I agree, it's better/faster at layouts. Courses do tend to get on there faster, but again, that's up to us, as users, to make that happen here. DGCR is NOT the PDGA directory. Nor is UDisc. There are issues with both, but using both ultimately gets us all to where we should want to be and that is enjoying throwing plastic at baskets....

I don't even understand why a certain troll is here. He doesn't like the site. The MODs are all out to get him. He only wants to bitch about it. Such wasted energy..... (Hmm...I rated a Houck course a 4.0 and my review is still there...)

As for reviewing. I started using DGCR solely as a course directory. I used the reviews sometimes to choose between courses that I was looking to play. A lot of the courses in rural areas (especially here in Iowa) have little to no info and no reviews. I thought I could contribute, so I began to. Now I'm kind of addicted to doing it. I go in waves, though. I have a list of about 20-25 courses to add at least reviews to. Many to add pictures to. Some I'm drawing maps for. I have at 3 more that are not on the site yet, but will be soon. (Silver Discoverer badge, here I come...)

Not everyone will want to review. I get that. The people here are very supportive, if you put in some effort (and aren't an a$$). The way the site continues is with continued effort. Could there be more/changed features?....yes. Is the site good as is?...yes. As a user driven site, we, the users play a large part in it. I'm glad to see people review. I DO look at them, even if they are ones I might not play. But, who knows, I might get a chance. Headed down to Kansas City this weekend which was not solidified until 24 hours ago. Now, I'll be looking through the reviews to play a course or two while I'm down there. I DO use UDisc occasionally. I agree, it's better/faster at layouts. Courses do tend to get on there faster, but again, that's up to us, as users, to make that happen here. DGCR is NOT the PDGA directory. Nor is UDisc. There are issues with both, but using both ultimately gets us all to where we should want to be and that is enjoying throwing plastic at baskets....

is there a worse area of iowa dg than the north central area on the border of mn

It was mentioned, but one reason I think reviews are helpful is to update conditions.

I see a lot of courses with reviews that are good, but several years old.

Even if nothing has changed significantly it's good to know that a 4 year old review is still accurate. I know the review rules say not to comment on other reviews, but sometimes it's the best way to provide an update.

Something else is as a reader, you can get to know the reviewers style a bit if they provide multiple reviews.

I do tend to comment on the amenities. And if that doesn't matter to the reader they can ignore it or ignore my whole review. I think those elements are part of the total experience.

Then again, I see these baggers hitting multiple courses per day and obviously they are operating different from me. 36 holes is pretty much more than I can do in a day. Even 18 on a long course in the heat can be a beating. But that's where I'm at.