• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The many brands of Disc golf

Riptide572

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if I could get some advice from you other disc golfer's out there on the many brands of disc golf. I am familiar with Innova and Discraft very well. The availability of Innova in our area far outweighs everything else to the point that I could probably name 90% of the discs if I were quizzed on it. As I'm searching these forums and online retails, I'm finding that there are so many other brands out there and I'm curious to see how they hold up comparatively. Here's just a few i've found, and curious to see what makes them special.

Vibram
Their claim to fame:
Price compared to Innova/Discraft:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
Prodigy
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
Latitude 64
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
Gateway
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
Prodiscus
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
DGA
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
MVP
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:

Any other big ones I'm missing and why I should look at them?

I know that's a lot of information to ask; however, I've found everyone here to be more than informative so far and I just don't want to feel like I'm missing out on some amazing discs for some reason. Thank you all for any insight and have a great weekend! :clap:

My two favorites:

Gateway:
Their claim to fame: putters
Price compared to Innova/Discraft: comparable, but lots of Facebook specials
Notable Discs: Wizard, Magic, Element
Plastic Types: Everything under the sun
Your feelings on them: lots of character, great putters, underrated mids and drivers.

Vibram:
Their claim to fame: unequaled grip and durability (rubber)
Price compared to Innova/Discraft:$15-17 retail
Notable Discs: Ibex, Obex, Ridge, Summit, Lace
Plastic Types: soft, medium, and firm rubber
Your feelings on them: best combination of grip and very tree proof

DGA
Their claim to fame: First company in Disc Golf, and makes in my opinion the best baskets out there.
Price compared to Innova/Discraft: Comparable
Notable Discs: Blowfly, Undertow, Hurricane, Squall
Plastic Types: SUPER gummy plastic on the Blowfly and Gumbputt. D-line is like DX or Pro-D. SP is like a sparkle Champ or Z, Proline is like Star or ESP
Your feelings on them: Seriously underrated disc company. Everyone knows about their baskets, but they have a really solid lineup of discs.

I'll add Legacy in there for you too.

Legacy Discs
Their claim to fame: Company started by players Steve and Bamba Rico. Great plastic
Price compared to Innova/Discraft: About the same across the board
Notable Discs: All of them! Rampage, Cannon, Rival, Patriot, Ghost, Clozer, and Clutch
Plastic Types: Excel is a DX type plastic. Gravity is a softer R-Pro type. Protege is kinda like KC Pro. Pinnacle is really unique, swirly but not like Latitude swirly. Icon is like Star. Legend is more like the Latitude Gold Line, but only available for fundraisers, Haven't been able to throw their Sparkle plastic yet.
Your feelings on them: My favorite disc company. I've liked every disc they've come out with so far, and with the understable midrange, the Gauge, coming out soon, they have a well rounded lineup for a young company.

Last edited:
Vibram
Their claim to fame: Durability
Notable Discs: not sure
Plastic Types: again not sure, but very durable plastic
Your feelings on them: I haven't gave them a shot yet, but I have heard good things about them.
Prodigy
Their claim to fame: Use of top pro's
Notable Discs: D1, M1, PA4
Plastic Types: I'm not up do date on this yet
Your feelings on them: Decent plastic, nice disc, but overpriced.
Latitude 64
Their claim to fame: Strong and beautiful plastic
Notable Discs: Pure, Bolt, Stiletto
Plastic Types: Gold Line (star), Opto (champ), EZE (pro?)
Your feelings on them: Hard to find local seller but excellent disc.
Gateway
Their claim to fame: Putters
Notable Discs: Wizard, Magic, Warlock
Plastic Types: Evolution (champ), Base line (unsure of name)
Your feelings on them: Their putters are great but had issues with consistency of feel when buying online.
Prodiscus
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types:
Your feelings on them:
DGA
Their claim to fame:
Notable Discs:
Plastic Types: Same plastic as Discraft
Your feelings on them: Same quality as Discraft, never really tried them
MVP
Their claim to fame: duel mold process
Notable Discs: Ion, Axis
Plastic Types: unsure on names but the two mold process makes the rim very durable
Your feelings on them: People who throw them love them

Westside and Dynamic Disc - Fall under Lat 64
Discmania - Innova Europe

Thanks guys! Good input so far.
I've been really interested in MVP and Vibran myself. I bought an MVP putter for my girlfriend and its her favorite disc. While I wasn't impressed myself, I thought the dual weight plastic could be pretty crazy on a high speed disc like a driver.
Vibram seems like the disc golf equivalent of depleted uranium; it could take a direct hit from a missile and survive.

MVP
Their claim to fame: Overmolded discs, GYRO tech, Concern for crafting top quality discs.

Price compared to Innova/Discraft: Neutron same as Star/ESP, Proton same as Champ/Z

Notable Discs: Ion, Volt

Plastic Types: Only premium plastic, no baseline. Plastic is among the most durable in the industry.

Your feelings on them: My sig should tell you all you need to know. Other than that, MVP is a small company, with a bright future. Their commitment to us, the players (customers), is second to none. And they make a pretty decent product too.

Thanks guys! Good input so far.
I've been really interested in MVP and Vibran myself. I bought an MVP putter for my girlfriend and its her favorite disc. While I wasn't impressed myself, I thought the dual weight plastic could be pretty crazy on a high speed disc like a driver.
Vibram seems like the disc golf equivalent of depleted uranium; it could take a direct hit from a missile and survive.

Seriously, buy a medium Ibex from Vibram. You will love it. Well worth the price tag, and lots of great unique colors on Community Discs, discgolfcenter, and Marshall Street, and all three of those sites shows actual pics of discs.

DGA
Their claim to fame: Their awesome baskets?! Or having discgolf.com lol
Price compared to Innova/Discraft: Around the same ballpark
Notable Discs: Squall, Breaker, Rogue and Blowfly.
Plastic Types: SP-Line, Pro-Line, D-Line, RDGA-Line(150class), Signature-Line (blowfly)
Your feelings on them: I think they are a good company that is overshadowed by discraft. I love throwing the rogue, I don't throw em anymore because they are hard to find. But their baskets are my personal favorite.

There's also Westside discs--a small company, but they've got a good start and their disc are high-quality.
On a thread we've also heard rumors of Salient Discs---if you get ahold of one first you'll be a hero.

Millenium
Their claim to fame: Poorly named discs..., molds similar to innova
Price compared to Innova/Discraft: similar
Notable Discs: Omega SS, OLF, QMS, JLS
Plastic Types: like innova, except no dx
Your feelings on them: I like the feel of their discs, their molds are very controllable for 'normal' arms like myself