• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

question.

since i've started throwing wizards, cycling interests me. found a dx roc with no flight numbers, just the bird (no multi-purpose) and says rancho on the bottom, so it's the one people like. i noticed the bird is slightly larger than the others. the plastic feels waxy and flexy though. i wish there was more of a history of the different rocs so i could know more about what to expect from it vs the other ranchos in the pile.

is this a good roc worth picking up as a first roc experience? or can i pick up any rancho and it'll be fine?

All rocs are the rocs that people like

Roc throwers - I am ready to drink the Roc Kool-Aid but need guidance from the Roc Elders. I am willing to pick up 2 Rocs in different plastics - which Rocs are the best / are most representative of the Roc family / would complement eachother and my other discs the best?

For comparison right now I throw a max weight cryztal buzzz and a 166g ESP meteor. I like the idea of cycling a mid and ending up with a slower, glidier shot shaper.

Depending on how I like them I could see myself ditching the c-buzzz. The max weight buzzz is great for when I absolutely need to hit a gap in a straight line through the woods. I do however miss the way my beginner shark flew and I could see myself pairing my new rocs with a 177g DX shark I picked up used and haven't thrown yet - how would a shark pair with a roc?

Roc throwers - I am ready to drink the Roc Kool-Aid but need guidance from the Roc Elders. I am willing to pick up 2 Rocs in different plastics - which Rocs are the best / are most representative of the Roc family / would complement eachother and my other discs the best?

For comparison right now I throw a max weight cryztal buzzz and a 166g ESP meteor. I like the idea of cycling a mid and ending up with a slower, glidier shot shaper.

Depending on how I like them I could see myself ditching the c-buzzz. The max weight buzzz is great for when I absolutely need to hit a gap in a straight line through the woods. I do however miss the way my beginner shark flew and I could see myself pairing my new rocs with a 177g DX shark I picked up used and haven't thrown yet - how would a shark pair with a roc?

The Roc and Shark pair great, when new. If you buy DX Roc's you will eventually reach Shark stability and will no longer need the Shark. I'd definitely suggest trying one Champion roc3 , and some DX Roc's.

If you want to beat it in quickly ---- DX Roc
If you want it to last a little longer ---KC Pro Roc

Star Rocs are okay and take a lot more punishment, but they just don't feel right to me.
Roc3 (dare I say) are just garbage. Mine felt like they changed from throw to throw. A tad to hard it does this, a smidge less it does this, a cricket farts it does this. Just very inconsistent in my opinion

Get you a couple of KC Pro Rocs and enjoy the magic

grab a kcpro and a dx
kcpro for longer lifee stabilty and a dx

I would say buy a Champ Roc3 and either a DX or KC Pro Rancho Roc. Go from there. Maybe you'll like the Roc3 better or the other way around. They are not yet non proshop retailing the Roc3 in Pro and DX has only been pumpkin rocs.. You may end up wanting all Roc3's. Roc3 = Little faster little less glide.

So try them both. I find they mix well together too. I've got Roc3's, KC's and DX's.

KC Pro and DX, 172-175 or max, depending on what you throw your other mids at. Throw the DX around for a while until it gets into that nice dead-straight Roc flight, then start working in the KC Pro for all things where the fade or additional overstability is needed. If the KC wears into straight, replace with another KC. If the DX wears into flippy, replace it with another DX if the KC isn't straight yet.

Another option is to just cycle DX Rocs, making sure you always have a fresh DX for fade/overstable mid duties.

Max weight KC Rocs are the bee's knees. I have one that is just about perfect right now. Gonna put a fresh stable one in soon, and my DX covers flippy right now.

All rocs are the rocs that people like
Minus the Roc+

See what I did there? :D

I got a really cool looking misprint Glow Roc3 recently but haven't really had a chance to throw it. If it flies half as good as it looks then I should love it. I also have a DX Roc and Star San Marino (which I guess no one really cares about) but haven't really used them during a round. I figured I would give the Roc a try and see what all the fuss was about but it's so hard to give all my babies air time! I still have to learn these discs.

Agreed - when Rocs throw more like putters and need height, Buzzzes are more driver-like and can be thrown low and hard.

I am not a roc guy
I have been working on throwing putters
Maybe I can try rocs again, once I get good at throwing my putters
This makes a lot of sense to me now.

I tried the Star San Marino Roc but wasn't impressed. Didn't feel good in the hand either. Maybe I should try a DX Roc, or is there really that much difference?

I tried the Star San Marino Roc but wasn't impressed. Didn't feel good in the hand either. Maybe I should try a DX Roc, or is there really that much difference?

yes!!! Star astic sucks. Lol. Get a kc pro or dx. It's money. But the new champ roc3 is great too. Star is just bit a good mix for this disc unless you want a glide less wind fighter

I used to throw champion sharks but decided to switch to rocs because their availability. I'm so happy i did.

Agreed - when Rocs throw more like putters and need height, Buzzzes are more driver-like and can be thrown low and hard.

This should be stickied to stop all the stupid Buzzz / roc arguements. They are different disc for me. Buzzzs are meant for low and hard. I will say my BS buzzzs are able to work more lines.

I used to throw a Roc and a Buzz, but the Axis took both out of the bag for me.
Nothing wrong with either disc, if that is what you like, throw it!
Also sounds like I may have some desirable discs sitting in a box that have never saw any air time...

Latest posts