• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

The Champion Thrower also feels nice, but has a little more of a pop top dome. It's not as domey as, say the 2015 Champion USDGC Rocs, but still noticeably more domey than the ColorGlow.

Seems like these 2017 throwers are on the domey side of the spectrum. I got a Roca Flocka Thrower and it is really domey. Higher dome and lower PLH than my 2015. I took it out for a couple rounds and the Thrower flies like a straight-stable DX. The 2016s I have are much flatter and have higher PLH. They are similar in shape to the oldest USDGC Roc I have from 2007.

Seems like these 2017 throwers are on the domey side of the spectrum. I got a Roca Flocka Thrower and it is really domey. Higher dome and lower PLH than my 2015. I took it out for a couple rounds and the Thrower flies like a straight-stable DX. The 2016s I have are much flatter and have higher PLH. They are similar in shape to the oldest USDGC Roc I have from 2007.

Yeah my 2017 ColorGlow isn't domey at all thankfully. There's no pop, just a small even dome like you want in a good Rancho Roc. I'm a little concerned by its lower PLH though. I can't tell for sure what the stability will be like until I throw it though; might be fine. It certainly feels better in the hand than the Champion Thrower. Maybe later I'll take an upside down comparison pic between the 2017 thrower and the 2015's I've got to see how the domes compare. I've got several 2015's and they all have pretty big pop top domes.

It's interesting. The Thrower has a slightly more concave wing, but the wing also looks slightly less wide than the other 2. That may just be an optical illusion though. The 2017 ColorGlow looks to have slightly lower PLH than the other 2. I'm interested to see how the Thrower will fly. It has a pop top dome, which in my experience makes Rocs a little less stable, but also fairly high PLH and a pretty concave wing, both of which tend to make discs more overstable. I really love the feel of the 2017 ColorGlow, but I hope the lower PLH won't lessen the stability too much on it.

I'm really interested to hear how that pink thrower flies.

I'm looking for a Champion Rancho to be the OS fixture in the Roc cycle section of my bag. I'm getting back into playing after a couple years away and have a nice selection of KC Rocs at various stages - in the bag and the backup bin. I'd love to have a Champ one that's OS and will pretty much stay that way for a very long time to anchor my lineup.

I'm really interested to hear how that pink thrower flies.

I'm looking for a Champion Rancho to be the OS fixture in the Roc cycle section of my bag. I'm getting back into playing after a couple years away and have a nice selection of KC Rocs at various stages - in the bag and the backup bin. I'd love to have a Champ one that's OS and will pretty much stay that way for a very long time to anchor my lineup.

The Roc I bag for this slot is the 2016 ColorGlow Lucha which feels great and flies quite overstable. Those appear to be a little hard to find though. I haven't thrown the 2017 Thrower yet, hopefully soon. However, I HAVE thrown one of these which feels very nice and flies quite overstable:

https://dgustore.com/xxl-champion-san-marino-roc.html

Despite being the San Marino mold, mine is one of the more overstable Rocs I own.

Yeah my 2017 ColorGlow isn't domey at all thankfully. There's no pop, just a small even dome like you want in a good Rancho Roc. I'm a little concerned by its lower PLH though. I can't tell for sure what the stability will be like until I throw it though; might be fine. It certainly feels better in the hand than the Champion Thrower. Maybe later I'll take an upside down comparison pic between the 2017 thrower and the 2015's I've got to see how the domes compare. I've got several 2015's and they all have pretty big pop top domes.

I'm really interested in those color glows.

The 30 price tag has kept me away. Kinda don't want to like a disc that expensive.

I'm really interested in those color glows.

The 30 price tag has kept me away. Kinda don't want to like a disc that expensive.

Yeah seriously! The couple of 2016's I have are F2's. They are actually pretty cool, slightly offset double stamps. I think they were $20 each, so if DGU gets any 2017 ColorGlow F2's you should definitely jump on those. I haven't seen any yet, but I think they often put them out after the regular ones. It wouldn't surprise me if they waited until those sold out first.

I was thinking the same thing. I just can't justify the price for throwers.

Hard to resist the color glow...

Yesterday, I picked up a 180g 30th Anniversary San Marino in Luster Champion and threw it during two rounds.

I like it, the plastic feels awesome. Thrown fairly hard, it flies straight and has a gentle fade. It flies almost identically to a 180g KC Rancho I have which I'd say is about halfway seasoned to straight. It's not the OS Rancho flight I'm looking for, but I'm going to keep throwing it.

Does anyone throw the xt ROCS at all. How do they season in? How long does the beat in process before they are just to flippy

Does anyone throw the xt ROCS at all. How do they season in? How long does the beat in process before they are just to flippy

I've had a couple of them. They are super flat and season more like flat topped Rocs, meaning that they start losing their HSS sooner than normal Rocs. XT also has a tendency to warp on hard hits much more readily than DX or KC Pro. So it won't LOOK very beat up unless you set it on a flat surface, but it will lose stability pretty quickly if you play wooded courses. On the other hand, they are very grippy if you like that.

I have an xt colt and its done same thing as you described but love the way it feels figured I try a couple out to use as back ups for when I lose that nice seasoned kc like I just did

The inside rim of the XT is no bueno imho, at least on my yellow one. Too much slant for me. Gimme some oooold dx 90 degree stuff.

So I took a bag full of Rocs out for an all-Roc round at my local 9 hole to do some testing. I had these:

2016 ColorGlow Champion F2 Lucha (8/10)
2017 Champion Thrower (10/10)
30 Year Anniversary Luster (10/10)

1 KC Pro (9/10)
1 slightly used DX (8.5/10)

1 beat DX (6/10)
1 beat R Pro (172g) (6/10)
1 very beat DX (5/10)

In order of stability, I'd rank them thus:

1. 2017 Champion Thrower
2. 2016 ColorGlow Lucha
3. 30 Year, KC Pro, slightly used DX
4. beat DX, beat R Pro
5. Very beat DX

The 2017 Champion Thrower surprised me by being very overstable. It handled all the power I gave it with aplomb, even flexing out of some shallow annies at ~80% power to still finish hard left. I threw it on a low line hyzer on hard ground at one point and got probably a 25 foot left skip out of it, which isn't usually a shot I would throw a Roc on, but it worked out well. It was noticeably more overstable than the 2016 ColorGlow which has been in my bag in the overstable Roc slot this summer.

The 30 Year Anniversary Roc flew just as described by someone else recently in this thread. It was like a lightly seasoned KC Pro or DX. It had just the smallest bit of flip or turn at power with decent glide and a strong fade. It routinely ended up in almost the same spot on the fairway as the lightly used DX and KC Pro I was throwing. Nice disc if you want that flight in something that will keep it for a long time.

So I took a bag full of Rocs out for an all-Roc round at my local 9 hole to do some testing. I had these:

1 KC Pro (9/10)

1 beat DX (6/10)
1 very beat DX (5/10)

1. 2017 Champion Thrower
2. 2016 ColorGlow Lucha
4. beat DX, beat R Pro
5. Very beat DX

The 2017 Champion Thrower surprised me by being very overstable. It handled all the power I gave it with aplomb, even flexing out of some shallow annies at ~80% power to still finish hard left. I threw it on a low line hyzer on hard ground at one point and got probably a 25 foot left skip out of it, which isn't usually a shot I would throw a Roc on, but it worked out well. It was noticeably more overstable than the 2016 ColorGlow which has been in my bag in the overstable Roc slot this summer.

The 30 Year Anniversary Roc flew just as described by someone else recently in this thread. It was like a lightly seasoned KC Pro or DX. It had just the smallest bit of flip or turn at power with decent glide and a strong fade. It routinely ended up in almost the same spot on the fairway as the lightly used DX and KC Pro I was throwing. Nice disc if you want that flight in something that will keep it for a long time.

Was the champ thrower the color glow or the feathers roc

1. 2017 Champion Thrower
2. 2016 ColorGlow Lucha
4. beat DX, beat R Pro
5. Very beat DX

My 2017 throwers are so beefy. I actually took my gator out of my bag because I don't need it anymore.

dang now I'm interested in these 2017 champ ranchos.... could simplify my bag* further by dropping the champ ring of gators.

I have gotten so used to throwing gators mostly on sidearm upshots I wonder if the 2017 champ ranchos are good for that. I'm sure I could get used to sidearming them even if they're large diameter, 180g, and domey (hell I've sidearmed z-line comets a lot in the past/when I bag them in the winter). It sounds like it could be a more versatile option to the gator.

then again I don't want to be married to discs that will be eventual OOP discs so quickly. ring of gators come out in the winter every year (and I stocked up on a lot of last winter's ring of gators release which were super board flat and beefy). so it might not be worth it to simplify molds just for the sake of doing it.

*my bag is 7 molds right now (around 16 discs): P2, rancho rocs, gator, FD, Firebird, PD, Destroyer.

of course i have multiple discs per mold but I love how versatile the discs are right now (I throw all my discs both sidearm and backhand). I never thought that I'd drop the gator but you never know if these 2017 champ ranchos are that beefy.

Was the champ thrower the color glow or the feathers roc

It is the feathers Roc. I haven't seen any 2017 throwers that are color glow yet. I have a 2017 color glow but I haven't decided whether I'll throw it yet; it was expensive (I don't pay higher than stock prices for discs often so $30 is expensive to me).

The Throwers are all old stock of F2's. No way to know when they were run so reviewing one won't really guarantee how the next will look/feel/fly. None were color glow.

1 KC Pro (9/10)

1 beat DX (6/10)
1 very beat DX (5/10)

1. 2017 Champion Thrower
2. 2016 ColorGlow Lucha
4. beat DX, beat R Pro
5. Very beat DX

The 30 year luster I have has become a staple in my bag. I never thought I would say that about a Sanny Roc, but man, these just fly great. I'm hoping the collector market doesn't pick up on these because I'm hoping for reasonably priced back ups in the future. The plastic they used is some of the better stuff I've felt from Innova recently too.

Latest posts