• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Does anybody still throw plain old DX Rancho Rocs? Most of mine are 10+ years old. How are the newer runs?

Although I mostly throw white multi-purpose KCs, during the snowier months I often switch to a mix of yellow KC and DX out of necessity. I actually have a yellow with purple stamp SMRD that looks identical to yours, I freakin love it. The DX also has better glide, which helps with those stiff wintery muscles.

All these people posting that they have good Star Rancho Rocs caused me to make a special trip to a disc store. Eight Star Rancho Rocs, all of them with domes so big that if you set them on astroturf a football game would break out underneath. :|

I feel deceived.

I got my nice one a couple years ago. Looks a lot like that remake pictured a few posts back. Went to my local shop and they had 1 Star Rancho on the shelf. Flatter disc, not domey at all. Might go back and get it if it is still there.

Does anybody still throw plain old DX Rancho Rocs? Most of mine are 10+ years old. How are the newer runs?

I really like the newer DX Rocs: stiff rims, feels firmer like Classic Aviars, low dome, great flight. I have a bunch of Rocs stashed but these new ones are just the way I like them so I have picked up quite a few more.

DX Rocs are good enough now even the most picky of us should be able to find ones we like. I have been half tempted to buy a good stack and make the switch again while the pickings are good.

Thanks for the feedback guys. With all the new Roc varieties and premium plastic iterations I was afraid the old DX Ranchos were lost. I hate hunting down discs from a certain vintage or run, so if new DX wasn't any good I would probably just get rid of what I have and move on. I'm trying some beadless mids because I like the way they feel right now, but I'll hang on to the Rocs I've got just in case.

Had to come and show off my Star Rancho's. Don't know if these are anything special but atleast for me they are really reliable and nice flying rocs.

What can you tell me about these discs?
d4b860302fa901144a536acb49f93a02.jpg
47bcddf382449f65b0847cf1180335b2.jpg

Had to come and show off my Star Rancho's. Don't know if these are anything special but atleast for me they are really reliable and nice flying rocs.

What can you tell me about these discs

I would start with post #1708.

What can you tell me about these discs?

Not trolling, not messing around: the colors are awesome. Good looking discs. :thmbup:

Not trolling, not messing around: the colors are awesome. Good looking discs. :thmbup:
Thanks! I know my question was a bit stupid but what I wanted know is can I somehow find which run these are? What's the difference of an CE remake roc (which has on * mark) and star rancho roc (which has *R mark)?

Thanks! I know my question was a bit stupid but what I wanted know is can I somehow find which run these are? What's the difference of an CE remake roc (which has on * mark) and star rancho roc (which has *R mark)?

The Remake's are usually flat topped and gummy. That's about all I know other than how they're penned. I'm sure some other people in here can give you some more history on them.

Club just got another order of DX Flat Top Rocs in, after some mild begging on my part, and now my stock it back to acceptable levels. Really digging these flat top DX rocs lately, snagged a bunch of glow ones few months back during that order and now have some colors from this run.

I can't tell anything from photos of your discs, but the general "tell" on Rocs (no matter the plastic) for me is if they drum. You grab the disc with your fingers under the rim and your thumbs on top and push down on the dome with your thumbs. When you release you might hear a "thwock" or "thump" or however you describe it; that sound is the "drum". Great Rocs have a mild dome with no drum. Good Rocs can have a bit more dome and a drum a little. Bad Rocs have a lot of dome, you see a lot of back and forth when you push down and they drum loudly.

Every single Star Ranch Roc I've seen has an easier tell, they have a pop top. The dome is so high that it creates an uneven dome where it pops up in the middle, dips low around the edge of where there is no wing under the flight plate, and then back up to cover the wing. See a pop top and you don't have to bother with the drum test; those are going to drum badly.

The higher dome takes away from the stability of the discs and makes them flippy. Not seasoned-to-turnover-Roc flippy, but "unpredictable touchy flippy". I do not throw them for this reason. One man's trash, though. It seems like some people like them, so they should throw them.

The frustrating thing is that they have had Star Rancho Rocs in the USDGC Roc program, they know how to make good Rancho Rocs in Star. They just are choosing not to. For the * '01 remake they obviously tweaked the plastic to a gummy blend that they knew would cure in a way to avoid the massive circus tent domes the regular Star Rancho's have, which would make them very desirable throwers for people who want a Star Rancho Roc.

Since I have not seen every production Star Rancho Roc, it is possible that there are some out that are not pop-top drummer Rocs. If I ever see one, I'll buy it. I've just never seen one. If you have a non pop-top Star Rancho Roc, you basically have a '01 remake for a bargain. It won't have the resale value, though. So throw that sucker!

Last edited:
I can't tell anything from photos of your discs, but the general "tell" on Rocs (no matter the plastic) for me is if they drum. You grab the disc with your fingers under the rim and your thumbs on top and push down on the dome with your thumbs. When you release you might hear a "thwock" or "thump" or however you describe it; that sound is the "drum". Great Rocs have a mild dome with no drum. Good Rocs can have a bit more dome and a drum a little. Bad Rocs have a lot of dome, you see a lot of back and forth when you push down and they drum loudly.

Every single Star Ranch Roc I've seen has an easier tell, they have a pop top. The dome is so high that it creates an uneven dome where it pops up in the middle, dips low around the edge of where there is no wing under the flight plate, and then back up to cover the wing. See a pop top and you don't have to bother with the drum test; those are going to drum badly.

The higher dome takes away from the stability of the discs and makes them flippy. Not seasoned-to-turnover-Roc flippy, but "unpredictable touchy flippy". I do not throw them for this reason. One man's trash, though. It seems like some people like them, so they should throw them.

The frustrating thing is that they have had Star Rancho Rocs in the USDGC Roc program, they know how to make good Rancho Rocs in Star. They just are choosing not to. For the * '01 remake they obviously tweaked the plastic to a gummy blend that they knew would cure in a way to avoid the massive circus tent domes the regular Star Rancho's have, which would make them very desirable throwers for people who want a Star Rancho Roc.

Since I have not seen every production Star Rancho Roc, it is possible that there are some out that are not pop-top drummer Rocs. If I ever see one, I'll buy it. I've just never seen one. If you have a non pop-top Star Rancho Roc, you basically have a '01 remake for a bargain. It won't have the resale value, though. So throw that sucker!
Wow, thanks for the info! I don't have that pop top on mine so apparently makes them so nice and os. I think I have to go and snag one more from our local shop because there is one left at the discount bin :D

Wow, thanks for the info! I don't have that pop top on mine so apparently makes them so nice and os. I think I have to go and snag one more from our local shop because there is one left at the discount bin :D
Yeah, by all means gloat about it to all of us stuck with pop-top crapola Rocs. :mad:

:p

Was at a store last week with about six mostly max weight DX Rocs that had some dome but no beat. Plus the DX felt really good. I still prefer Roc3s, but was tempted to pick one of these up.

Is it possible we will look back in a few years as this being one of the best times for Innova plastic?

Was at a store last week with about six mostly max weight DX Rocs that had some dome but no beat. Plus the DX felt really good. I still prefer Roc3s, but was tempted to pick one of these up.

Is it possible we will look back in a few years as this being one of the best times for Innova plastic?

At least for DX Rocs. I have bought so many of the recent/current ones that are IMO ideal Rocs.