• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

I know lots of people love it, but I never liked the Gila. I'm not what you'd consider a power player so maybe that's what it was, but to me, it didn't have the glide I like in midrange (which is also a personal preference).

I know lots of people love it, but I never liked the Gila. I'm not what you'd consider a power player so maybe that's what it was, but to me, it didn't have the glide I like in midrange (which is also a personal preference).

It doesn't possess a huge amount of glide

Its more of a line drive mid that likes to be thrown low and hard.

It does fight wind really well but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

My best OS Roc suggestion is the Bard. It has the same flight numbers as the Gila but its a different type of disc. It's faster than a Roc but faster than a Gila. It has a more Roc-like shape as well.

I looked up Gila. If it's more OS than a Gator that wouldn't work for me either.

I saw a Stego this past weekend. I wanted to throw it but it's not mine and we're not touching each others discs atm so I wasn't able to test it out. But I saw it do some weird, funny sh*t when thrown upside down. :clap:

I looked up Gila. If it's more OS than a Gator that wouldn't work for me either.

I saw a Stego this past weekend. I wanted to throw it but it's not mine and we're not touching each others discs atm so I wasn't able to test it out. But I saw it do some weird, funny sh*t when thrown upside down. :clap:

Its definitely not a Gator.

Its like a Roc3 but faster, slightly more OS and IMO way better feeling in the hand.

I had a sudden desire to give Rocs a shot again and I went and bought a couple. The ones I got were DX Rancho Rocs with patent numbers. Max weight. There's a shoulder, but after the shoulder the disc is pretty flat.
I was surprised how low the stability was on these. When I threw them into a moderate headwind they had a significant turn. In a tailwind they flew as I expected. No real turn, but not super overstable beasts that just wanted to dive left either. Is this stability typical for dx rancho rocs?

Is it a sharp nose (left) or round nose (right)?

50ba5ca2c59fc46b6dd3b961ffb43678.jpg

what is the wing shape? The round noses tend to be straight. And they normally have a dome that is shoulder-to-flat.

They look more like the round nose ones. I guess i should try to get some sharp nosed rocs the next time

Necro for any Roc heads out there. I just got a couple KC Glow Rocs from the west coast warehouse and they are the closest in shape and feel to the old Multi-Purpose that I've held in a while.

Bonus- can anyone make out the name of that old school DGR'er under my ink? Been holding this one for a while.
1b55ae355372aa25f8a304e4f866dc51.jpg

SaROCaM

"Yeah I got a bunch of 8x backups for that slot...or maybe I could use this '01 CE Roc...nbd"

EDIT: saw this is a DX Roc thread...feels like the "mythical" Roc thread. Let's bump that one back up.

Happy now...

Necro for any Roc heads out there. I just got a couple KC Glow Rocs from the west coast warehouse and they are the closest in shape and feel to the old Multi-Purpose that I've held in a while.

Bonus- can anyone make out the name of that old school DGR'er under my ink? Been holding this one for a while.
1b55ae355372aa25f8a304e4f866dc51.jpg
No, I can't make it out. :| Whose was it?

I was digging out glow discs last year and found a glow Warlock I didn't know I had. I was looking at tit trying to remember why I had it when I noticed faded ink on the rim said "Timko". I suddenly remembered I traded him a glow Ontario Roc for it.

I kinda wish I still had the Roc. :|

SaROCaM

"Yeah I got a bunch of 8x backups for that slot...or maybe I could use this '01 CE Roc...nbd"

EDIT: saw this is a DX Roc thread...feels like the "mythical" Roc thread. Let's bump that one back up.

Happy now...
Yeah, I mean '01 USDGC's and 8X's are pretty much the mythical ones, right?

I would probably go with the original Football stamped small rocs as well.

Originally Posted by Streets
This stupid thread made me throw a Dx Roc all weekend, and it was awesome. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Three Putt
I threw Rocs all weekend as well; the only times anyone was impressed with my drive was the two times I got over myself and threw a Firebird. It was good, though. I was consistent. I just wasn't very long off the tee.

Had to move Three Putts comment here because someone gets mad (no, not Streets) when I post my Roc stories in the DX Roc thread and I don't throw a true DX Roc (it is a Sanny before DX came to be named).

I played a course that on probably 12 of the holes you can not go off the fairway, the rough/scrub is that bad. I drove with my Rocs on seventeen of the tees (Fossil Gila on the other).
I finished better then I ever have for a round on that course, put every drive in the fairway.
I could have thrown a driver and maybe actually reached a few more holes, but if I was little off with the driver, missing the fairway would have cost me more shots.

I also got a lot of work in with my 71c* mold because how far from the basket my drive was usually finishing. :thmbup:

I've already been told that my Rocs aren't mythical because they're flat tops.

If they are older non DX plastic with the average/lower Shark Dome, then they are something special as the average/low Shark Dome ROC in anything other then DX is hard to find now in current runs. Flat top is not everything, I hate the flat top or nearly flat top as the ROC discs are then lacking glide. One of the reasons why I use the Shark/Shark 3 is the Shark in low/flat top is not lacking glide if flat top just more forward glide in the Shark 3 and the Shark in premium plastics Star and G-Star it is easier to find discs with the dome that a Shark is known for. If a ROC in premium used the Shark top and no not the V ROC, but a regular ROC type wing and nose height not the flat top nose height, I would buy whatever that disc is from Innova as I like the ROC just not the lack of glide for my arm speed. True DX has dome but DX now wears in way too quick almost like a DX version of R-Pro and is garbage. Even the XT of the ROC was not great as that came out nearly flat top most of the time.

Latest posts