• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Hey all!

I just got my hands on a couple of these old Glow Dx Rocs. Any clue when they are from? I'm having trouble finding info about them. They are penned R, rancho tooled and with patents.

325434864_727813212312027_3240071626751244864_n.jpg

more like the early 00's or late 90's. they predate the swoosh stamp glo's that would have first been out in the early- mid 00's.
This. They started using that stamp in '98 or '99. They started using the penned letters consistently in '99. The swoosh stamp was out by '03. So late 90's-early '00's in the timeframe.

Finally, after losing my flippiest Roc back in 2018, I've finally beat another Roc into that instant turnover spot. (R-Pro Roc and one of five I have remaining)

A flippy Roc is the ultimate "get-out-of-jail" disc.

Finally, after losing my flippiest Roc back in 2018, I've finally beat another Roc into that instant turnover spot. (R-Pro Roc and one of five I have remaining)

A flippy Roc is the ultimate "get-out-of-jail" disc.

I don't know if I could bear to wait that long. Usually, I'll just take one out back to the woodshed for a few.

My straight and flippy Rocs literally made my game what it is - there's just no replacement for what they can do, especially if you play in tight woods and need those straight to right drift shots.

I've found that keeping some lighter weight (low 170's in my experience) on hand can serve reasonably well as a stopgap for a lost turnover Roc. Plus they're a blast to throw in tailwinds.

I've found that keeping some lighter weight (low 170's in my experience) on hand can serve reasonably well as a stopgap for a lost turnover Roc. Plus they're a blast to throw in tailwinds.

My experience is that lighter weight Rocs do tend to flip up a little bit like a beat in Roc would do, but they also tend to fade more than a beat in Roc does. For that super straight finish, it's hard to top a beat in Roc. Fortunately, used Rocs are fairly plentiful if you need a replacement and don't want to throw one against a wall for an hour.

Well, it was a fun few days. But I lost the disc today at WilCo. Hurt my thumb the other day and have been compensating by gripping more with my fingers. (Don't recommend - impossible to throw this way) and I grip-locked the disc to oblivion.

Not to start working on the next.

What's the best Roc to complement a Comet? I.e. maximum glide, overstable but not super power hungry. DX? KC Pro?

Haven't thrown a Roc in 16 years but considering how obsessed I am with Comets it would probably be dumb not to revisit the Roc.

DX and KC are the best, especially if you want glide straight off the shelf. They won't fly like new forever though and some of them will eventually start taking over shots from your Comets. If you want a factory fresh Roc flight that will stay that way for a while I kind of like the Champion Rocs.

Fading memory problem: when I started playing the Roc was the San Marino and I really couldn't throw it. I remember the guys that were good would take Sanny Rocs and just snap them off on a low line and throw a rope; no turn, no fade, just a rope. I couldn't do that and threw Sanny Rocs higher, where they would fade out. So all I could do with a Roc was throw hyzers and I threw Lightning Spitfires. :|

When the Roc switched to the Ontario Roc you could throw those higher and I started throwing Rocs. I just have this memory of the Sanny Roc flight from watching other people throw them.

When the San Marino Roc was re-created I figured it really wasn't going to be the same, and the Star ones would be in a totally different plastic, so I just never bothered to try one.

Then I got this in a used bin:

picture.php

So of course I told myself it's not the same mold and it's not DX and it's just not going to fly like I remember Sanny Rocs flying like, but I threw it hard on a low line like it was a Buzzz anyway. I'll be darned; the thing is dead stable and flies on a straight line. Just like I remember Sanny Rocs flying like.

Why weren't these popular?

When I was a serious nerd about it, I bagged Rancho, Sanny and Ontario Rocs.

The Sanny option was the best at out of the box straight shots.

I think they just got caught up in the mess that is the Roc history.

When I was a serious nerd about it, I bagged Rancho, Sanny and Ontario Rocs.

The Sanny option was the best at out of the box straight shots.

I think they just got caught up in the mess that is the Roc history.
If they actually got the re-created mold right and wanted people to believe it, all they had to do was have a video of Barry Schultz going "This is really close to the old Sanny mold" and I would have bought a stack. :|

I remember the one I had having a crazy dome on it. I'm comfortable with some dome...but this was just excessive.
I always have that issue with Star Rancho's; unacceptable pop-top domes.

Actually I've had that problem with a lot of Star discs. I have a Roadrunner with a crazy pop-top. It flies like absolute garbage. :\

I suppose the re-introduced Sanny Roc also would have had a fundamental problem with who we are as people. "Here is this BRAND NEW disc designed for the MODERN PLAYER made from the HIGHEST QUALITY SEXY SWEDISH PLASTIC...or you can buy this discs designed in 1989 that does the same thing." :\

Latest posts