• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE NATIONAL PLAYERS CHALLENGE (TNPC)

Good idea on the TDs.

Any concern that the same number of spots are available for Texas (many disc golfers, relatively close to Little Rock) as Alaska (neither)?

Good idea on the TDs.

Any concern that the same number of spots are available for Texas (many disc golfers, relatively close to Little Rock) as Alaska (neither)?

Yes I have thought and am concerned about Texas, California and Tennessee
Those states are huge and long. I'm working on a possible exemption for those states to have Texas a North and South Region, Tennessee with a East and West Region, and California with a North and South Region.

Those are questions that I am contemplating heavily on.
A solution will be met.
Thanks

This will never work. Disc golf meccas are generally centered around cities and regions. They're not confined to single states, and the tournament scene in these locales generally works around that. Some of those mecca cities (Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Charlotte come to mind) also straddle state borders.

This will never work. Disc golf meccas are generally centered around cities and regions. They're not confined to single states, and the tournament scene in these locales generally works around that. Some of those mecca cities (Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Charlotte come to mind) also straddle state borders.

So are you telling me that since Kansas City Borders a state and St. Louis Borders a state line, players couldn't score points for themselves across the line and accumulate their points for their state of Missouri? Then meet somewhere to battle it out for a state championship and try to get the two bids for the TNPC National Championships?

Mecca cities do rely on players across the borders for their events, that's why you don't have to be a member to participate in a TNPC Sanctioned event and you won't be penalized for being a non-member, but you just have to be member to keep the points. If you want to play in the tnpc national championship, you must play in your tnpc state championship. or by the two other ways listed.

This may not work for everyone in the whole country........If its worth a players time to make participate and the perks are there, then it might be worth trying. You have to earn your chance at the National Championship.

Thanks for your input though!

Update:
TNPC state championship requirements must be held in the months of August and September ending September 30th of each year. This leaves October open for registration for the TNPC National Championship. This gives northern states the opportunity to host their event before the weather becomes too cold.
Bids to host your tnpc state championship must be in by June 30

Update:
New Division: Recreational Division will be offered for The National Players Challenge! Don't miss out on the NEW Tournament Series coming 2011.
Best opportunity to have added cash into a state only TNPC State Championship and qualify for the TNPC National Championship.
Website is under construction, so be patient.

Dates to Remember for TNPC 2011

Membership: Jan 1st - December 31st
Early membership (extended membership) starts October 1st and extends through until the next December 31st.
TNPC STATE CHAMPS must compete during the months of August -September ending by September 30
Registration for TNPC NATIONALS ends October 31st each year.
YOUR tnpc state championship bids to host your state championship must be in by JUNE 30 each year.
Calendar Year is August 1st -July 31st each year.

Your help could make a difference in this moving forward. If you are interested in having YOUR STATE involved, host an event and place a bid for the tnpc state championship. Make it to the TNPC NATIONALS and experience the great event, you will not forget it.
The website is under construction and will go public soon.
The TNPC HANDBOOK is also underway and will be posted soon.

Contact me: 501.837.8878 if you have more questions

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and have read the vast majority of this thread and still have no idea what is going on. :|

Let me see what I can do:
The National Players Challenge (TNPC) is a New tournament series beginning 2011.
You have pdga, sn (southern nationals), tnpc (The National Players Challenge)

Events will be sanctioned under the TNPC.
The $2 for each player will be deducted from the tournaments entries and added to YOUR tnpc state championship as added cash.
The top 2 players in each division will receive a bid to the tnpc national championship to represent your state.
All pdga reps will have an automatic bid into the tnpc nationals.
This is not to replace your current state championship, but to have a state only championship for players from your own state.
Places that rely on border states for their tournaments are welcomed to compete, those out of state players keep their points for their own state.
The tnpc state championship must be held in August or September, with October left open for those players to register for the tnpc nationals.

Hope this helps!
PM me if you need or call me.
This is a great opportunity for players who would like to see added cash to their own state championship and compete for a bid to the tnpc national championship.

Let's see how well I understand this, in my own re-phrasing:

It's a series of tournaments---local tournaments, in which players win points to play in a state championship (for this series), in which the top players will go to the national championship (for this series).

For the state championships, only residents of the particular state are eligible to win their way to the national event.

Tournaments can be part of this series as well as be PDGA-sanctioned, or not PDGA-sanctioned (in the same way SN works).

Players must have a membership in this series to earn points and qualify for the next level, but players without memberships can still compete in the tournaments.

Is that about right? Except for the money part?

Let's see how well I understand this, in my own re-phrasing:

It's a series of tournaments---local tournaments, in which players win points to play in a state championship (for this series), in which the top players will go to the national championship (for this series).

For the state championships, only residents of the particular state are eligible to win their way to the national event.

Tournaments can be part of this series as well as be PDGA-sanctioned, or not PDGA-sanctioned (in the same way SN works).

Players must have a membership in this series to earn points and qualify for the next level, but players without memberships can still compete in the tournaments.

Is that about right? Except for the money part?

Thats about right, except this. The Local (State) tournaments bring the money for that states tnpc state championship. The players across the country can compete in any tnpc sanctioned event across the country.
The points will be added for that player and counted for his state.
Example: If player (A) lives in South Carolina and Plays in an event in California and places 3rd place in Pro Open. He will receive 96pts for his efforts that accumulate for his tnpc South Carolina State Championship.
Why do points matter? Only the top 15 players in each division will be allowed to play in his tnpc state championship.
Then the top 2 at states get the bid to nationals.

There will not be a non-member fee for this sanctioning. Dual sanctioned events such as pdga/tnpc or southern nationals/tnpc are welcomed of course.

Players who become members will automatically add money into the total state championships.
Any event sanctioned under the tnpc will add money to the divisions for that state championship as well.

Example: 100members = total money to tournament $300
10 events @30players per event = $300 added to that event.
That's $600 added from this to your state only event.
All TD's who host their State Championship will get an automatic bid to the tnpc championship as well.

The state championship will have a bidder (club, td, etc . . .) that td of the event will receive a package (Bid entry forms for the tnpc nationals and a spreadsheet that explains what money goes where for each division, based off of the tournaments from that season)

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Mr. Sauls

The calculations for that is completely off.
100 members is $300
10 events @30 players/event = 300 players x $2/player that comes to $600
$300 + $600 = $900 total dollars added to your tnpc state championship.

Sorry got distracted at work.

Having read through the thread twice I understand what's being attempted. With the comments so far, it seems to me this is going to be difficult to pull off.

Is this something that is being attempted because of the USDGC going to every-other year or is this something that would've been done anyway?

I feel I may be speaking to blunt, or may be off, but.....

It seems to me that this is a rebel attempt to overtake the pdga. Okay, maybe not rebel attempt to overthrow, but it looks like the idea is to cater to those that complain of where thier pdga money goes. I mean it's basically saying that we could all host unsationed events while earning point (vs a rating) to compete for titles.
I can see the want for that. Here in Michigan we used discgolfscene to do this to a less formal degree. Leauge play anywhere in the state counted towards point totals.
If you want to talk about the complaints and stong points of it I'd contact Foz on dgscene.

Just to clarify:
This has been run for the last two years here in Arkansas and has had success with the event(s). It has been called The Players Challenge, where players score the points and play in the championship at the end. In fact, the championship will be held in Hot Springs, Arkansas November 21, 2010.
This is something that was going to happen regardless. Players outside of this state have asked me if I thought about extending it to their state to be a part of it. After two years, here you go.
Not to say all the bugs are worked out, but as you can see.....time has been invested in this.

It only works if players participate. The National Championship event will be worth anyone's time to attend.
The USDGC was news to me as it was to everyone else.

I feel I may be speaking to blunt, or may be off, but.....

It seems to me that this is a rebel attempt to overtake the pdga. Okay, maybe not rebel attempt to overthrow, but it looks like the idea is to cater to those that complain of where thier pdga money goes. I mean it's basically saying that we could all host unsationed events while earning point (vs a rating) to compete for titles.
I can see the want for that. Here in Michigan we used discgolfscene to do this to a less formal degree. Leauge play anywhere in the state counted towards point totals.
If you want to talk about the complaints and stong points of it I'd contact Foz on dgscene.

As I said in my before post. I will in no way attempt to go up against the pdga on anything. I am all for the pdga. All reps are getting an automatic bid into this national championship as well.

The pdga does a fantastic job in areas that they are in. International scene, edge, national tour, etc. . . .

This will not compete against them at all. I merely want to help states have an opportunity to provide a substantial state championship with added money. With a bonus at the end. Top 2 players get a bid to play in the big show.
Lets say you can't travel to Arkansas to play in the Nationals. At least you will have the opportunity to play in your own state championship and have added money to your division. Some state championships hardly have added cash or a good turnout. This will give them an opportunity to raised that event.
As far as the complaints on where what goes? I do hear that often from both parties (southern nationals and pgda). This is just my way of showing the players how many players are listed in their state and how much money is headed your way for your tnpc state event. Some people don't care to know and just want to show up to play and some people really care to know.
I think it would be exciting to know that I am playing amateur division, only the top 15 players (plus ties) get in and I am looking on the website and seeing how much is going to be added to my division.
Then if I get lucky enough to place top 2, I get a bid into the nationals and see how much is going there as well.

Trackin, how much promotion of this have you done for this grandesque idea outside of this thread? How many people will be assisting you with this, because I assure you that you're going to need a LOT of help. I don't think too many people outside your locale or any message boards you've posted this on are even aware of it.

I also don't think you quite understand the complications of logistics that a lot of tournament players face when traveling. The PDGA sent out more than 2,700 invites to Am Worlds last year, a tournament that could at best hold maybe 700 players. You'd think with that kind of ratio, there would be a crunch for spots, but alas it didn't fill, several people who got invites declined to attend because it was too cost prohibitive or time prohibitive, or both. Non-invite players who could afford the trip were welcome to take the unfilled spots. Pro Worlds wasn't much different.

The fact is, that its very costly for people to travel within their own state, much less across the country, and added cash is only going to be attractive to those who actually have a shot at getting it. Another fact is, if there's a schedule conflict between a TNPC "state championship" with weak added cash and a PDGA A-tier in the vicinity with good added cash, I assure you most serious pros in that area will be heading to the latter.

Trackin, how much promotion of this have you done for this grandesque idea outside of this thread? How many people will be assisting you with this, because I assure you that you're going to need a LOT of help. I don't think too many people outside your locale or any message boards you've posted this on are even aware of it.

I also don't think you quite understand the complications of logistics that a lot of tournament players face when traveling. The PDGA sent out more than 2,700 invites to Am Worlds last year, a tournament that could at best hold maybe 700 players. You'd think with that kind of ratio, there would be a crunch for spots, but alas it didn't fill, several people who got invites declined to attend because it was too cost prohibitive or time prohibitive, or both. Non-invite players who could afford the trip were welcome to take the unfilled spots. Pro Worlds wasn't much different.

The fact is, that its very costly for people to travel within their own state, much less across the country, and added cash is only going to be attractive to those who actually have a shot at getting it. Another fact is, if there's a schedule conflict between a TNPC "state championship" with weak added cash and a PDGA A-tier in the vicinity with good added cash, I assure you most serious pros in that area will be heading to the latter.

Thanks for your reply scrapfish. I can always rely on your comments which are never less than what is real. There is no doubt of how complicated or difficult it is.

I have been running this for the last two years, I have dealt with what it takes to host/run/play big tournaments. I know the behind the scenes of big events.
I completely understand the cost of traveling and paid out tournaments.
I think its completely difficult to travel as an amateur player more than a professional player.
An amateur player is not making any sort of money, (unless he takes his merchandise and sells it for cash).
Where a professional player has the opportunity to make his entry fee back and pay for his expenses.

When I began this event, I never thought it would apply to the touring professional. He is trying to make a living by traveling the country to big events with big payouts. Most average professionals will not even try to catch supertours, A-tiers, or a Worlds due to the travel expense. Some are lucky to even have an event in their state with added money.
This series might not apply to the traveling player as well, as I said before. It hopefully will provide a way to help the players with a nice tournament for their state. If they get the chance to compete at the nationals, then it would be great for them.

Again, amateur players have a tough time trying to make money by staying in those divisions. I love to see amateur players travel b/c they are not in it for the money, they are in it for the love.
Touring players have to make it to the big events in order to make a living, so I couldn't see it possible for them to be interested, unless the national championship has payouts that exceed a major event and they find it worth their time.

I didn't get to finish what I had to say, but had to leave work.

Trackin, how much promotion of this have you done for this grandesque idea outside of this thread? How many people will be assisting you with this, because I assure you that you're going to need a LOT of help. I don't think too many people outside your locale or any message boards you've posted this on are even aware of it. - scrapfish

At this point there hasn't been a tremendous amount of promoting for this until I have this website completed. In the initial post, it was a teaser for the upcoming tournament series.
I assure you that I am not some random disc golfer sitting in an office somewhere just post crazy ideas, just to get to population all worked up for nothing. That would be ridiculous.
I will never please everyone and this series might not be for everyone.

I don't think too many people outside your locale or any message boards you've posted this on are even aware of it. -scrapfish

People do know about it coming in 2011, not the masses that you are talking about. Again, I haven't worked on a full blown advertising promotion until I can send these people to the website in order to view what is going on.

Get that website done man. You will be amazed at how fast time comes and goes and next thing you know you will be talking about starting in 2012.