• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE NATIONAL PLAYERS CHALLENGE (TNPC)

Get that website done man. You will be amazed at how fast time comes and goes and next thing you know you will be talking about starting in 2012.

Tell me about it! If you guys have ever built a website before, you know it isn't just a cake walk. I do not plan to have something simple. It can be complicated when implementing the calculations and the TD Report for all td's to turn in results. I'm sure there will be much tweaking and updating along the way.

Setting up the online membership pages and processes are next in line.
Looking forward to going public with it.

One more thing: Last year I told our local community that I wanted to run a Championship tournament with a payout that compares to an A-tier and bring in some of the best players in the world to it. I wanted first place to be at least $1500 in Pro Open, something that has never happened in the 27years of Arkansas State Disc Golf Championships.
Believe me: I had plenty of opposition against that idea, saying "what a crazy idea that is" "how will you get the money for it" At the end of the day, we had the event the the top prize was $2500 for first place along with $1000 added to pro open. Then another $1000 added to All other divisions. That was semi-hard work trying to get sponsors (which isn't difficult to do once you try). I also gave away a $500 Cash Drawing by selling raffle tickets.......that went well. We had a play with a pro final 6 holes that was great to see our local Amateur partnered up with Jerred Pennington (Tulsa, OK) who took home 1st place, throw some amazing shots.
You just have to believe in yourself!
Remember "Nobody will believe in YOU unless you believe in YOURSELF" - Brett Michaels

I have read through this, and while I don't think it is an absolutely crazy idea, I think you are trying to pop way to soon!
I can see that you are passionate about this, and I have no doubt that your passion will see this through, but you need to get someone in marketing involved. You shouldn't even be thinking about taking membership and rolling out this program without the national marketing first, and especially a functioning website. That should have been priority one before ever announcing it on a worldwide message board.

I think you can do it, but you might be putting the cart before the horse here.

Just my .02!

I completely agree with you on this one, that was my thought before I posted the teaser and went ahead anyway.
#1 to see people's ideas like yours and others
#2 to just have it out there in one website.

If you have noticed, people from all over the country has put in an opinion and that is what is needed to grow something.

I haven't mainstreamed this series idea yet, again due to not having the website officially finished.
All ducks are in a row with advertising once this occurs. I have worked with many different types of advertising and have sought after them over the past year. I do have contact in many different states and have had many conversations about the pro's and con's of this series.

I do appreciate any comments and any suggestions to be made. I listen to what people say and want and I think that is what is needed when tackling such an idea as this one.

More free (and worth it!) advice in the spirit of support:

Individual states are an almost useless way to assign people to competitive divisions. States edges are often along rivers, and those same rivers often have metro areas straddling them, so people identify with the City more than the state. States are not the same size, do not have the same number of people, do not have the same shape, have too much border for their area, are not homogenous within the state, and do not have the same number of courses.

Delaware = California?

New York City is more like the Finger Lakes region than it is like Newark?

If all states were like Arkansas, these wouldn't be much of a problem. It has a fairly compact shape, where most people identify with the large city in the middle of the state, and its population is within a factor of 2 of the average.

Groups of states can reduce the effects of most of these problems. The PDGA regions for NT tournaments are a nice set of regions that are based on groups of states. See: http://www.pdga.com/2011-nt-goes-elite

The only advantage to using states is that people can identify with a state.

Disc golf "centers" are not that easy to define either, for the most part. Disc golf course groups are just about as "stringy" as they are "clumpy". Most places with a lot of courses do not have them arranged in a centrist pattern. See picture.

This site: http://www.commoncensus.org/maps.php has a start on what is perhaps a better method. It groups people according to the nearest "big city" they identify with.

Perhaps you could further divide the NT regions according to the city (or disc golf center) people identify with.

Attachments

• General Map Night.jpg
    General Map Night.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5
Having 8 or 10 or 12 prelim championships is also easier to do than 48 plus it would force the TDs to do a great job because there would literally be hundreds potentially ready to take the job.

Though I feel you guys are getting hung up on the state thing, I believe he said you could play in them regardless of where you are from.

"The only advantage to using states is that people can identify with a state." -Steve West

I'm using this quote because you hit it on the nail with this one. Also, your message is very true.

The one thing that I may have missed and maybe you have misread is: Any player who wishes to participate outside of their state in a tnpc event may do so. He will accumulate his points for his state only. At the end of the season all of the players in that state who have reached the top 15 (plus ties) ranking for their division, will be aloud to participate in their tnpc state champs.
*This does not take over any current state championship for that state.
Ex: Arkansas States 28th season May 2011 will not be the tnpc state championship. We rely on outside competitors to beef up our numbers. The 28th Arkansas States can be sanctioned under the tnpc as a qualifier for the tnpc state champs.
*There is a misconception with numbers as well. Your tnpc state champs might not have a large number at first, but the top 2 in each division will be awarded the bid into the tnpc nationals. This is where players can represent their own state with a sense of pride for their division and compete against the players from the other states.
*These players will be the top 2 from each state, competing against the best of the best for their division.

Rivers, Borders, California - Delaware, all have a relative meaning in terms of their current state championships. They rely on border states.
The tnpc is not interested in replacing current state championships unless it seems fit. At this point, I can't see how.

In the tnpc case, I wouldn't mind living in a less populated state that host tnpc events which gives me a chance to place in the top 2 at the tnpc state champs and further gives me the opportunity to reach the tnpc nationals.

I hope this helped and if I am confused as to what your meaning was Mr. West, please fill me in.
Thanks for your advice!

Having 8 or 10 or 12 prelim championships is also easier to do than 48 plus it would force the TDs to do a great job because there would literally be hundreds potentially ready to take the job.

Though I feel you guys are getting hung up on the state thing, I believe he said you could play in them regardless of where you are from.

We have one event every year (now every other year) that puts a focus on representing your state with a prestige to coming there. Showing up to that event and seeing all of the representatives from other states was amazing. You can drive up to stand near your state flag posted on a hillside for everyone to see.
There was a sense of pride that went along with it. Like "yes I am representing my state and I am proud of it."

My idea comes similar to that: representing your division b/c you placed in the top two of that division at your tnpc state champs. I loved the USDGC's and the experience. The focus is of course geared towards the professional player.
I thought it would be nice to focus on all of the divisions and give a different meaning to it...........a competition that qualifies them to reach the nationals in all divisions.
Again, the Pro Worlds is fantastic as well and I love that event for all that it is worth. The pdga does a great job in all of their focuses and I am absolutely interested in working along side them instead of against them. They are great for the sport in all aspect's of the game.
I do feel I have to repeat myself with this, but again not interested in competing against the pdga.
Hope this helps.

If I join and no events are held in my state, and I'm the only one in my state that joined, will I be state champ?

If I join and no events are held in my state, and I'm the only one in my state that joined, will I be state champ?

That is a good question.
This will be in the tnpc handbook coming out soon. (One Week)

A member of the tnpc must have points and be ranked in the top 15 (plus ties) in order to compete in his tnpc state championship.

The top 2 players in the tnpc state championship will receive a bid to compete in the tnpc national championship.

Essentially this means, at least one competition must occur before the tnpc states to earn points.
A tnpc state championship must occur to award the tnpc national championship.

The answer would have to be no. That would mean, an opportunity to host an event yourself and place the bid for your tnpc state championship.
Play in the tnpc states and there you go. You will be in.

Hope that helps.

Craftsman-
Joining the tnpc will assure your membership package and give you the opportunity to play in your division, even if it is one time or your 1st time.
Getting points to compete would be worth it to you to compete at your tnpc states, it will have added cash in your division just off of competitions.

Good Luck in your adventure towards tournament play and I hope you keep enjoying your time at tournaments. It only gets better once the addiction sets in!

I think I'll join. Even if it doesn't fully take off the first year, I'd like to support your efforts. I'll admitt I'm a lil worried about it catching on in my area but we'll see.
When are you collecting and shipping swag?

I think I'll join. Even if it doesn't fully take off the first year, I'd like to support your efforts. I'll admitt I'm a lil worried about it catching on in my area but we'll see.
When are you collecting and shipping swag?

Thats what it takes, someone to step up and give it a try. I will be sending out membership packages starting in January 2011. The players here in Arkansas are gearing up for memberships and purchasing them starting November 21st to get a low member number.

I will have the website ready soon, I am making sure it's completely ready and user friendly for everyone to have the opportunity to purchase their membership online.

There will be three options to pick up membership:
Online (New Website)
At the beginning or end of a tnpc tournament to keep your players points for that event
Mail the membership in.

These options will become easier as it moves forward.

As for it catching on in your area.......you never know, it might surprise you and show up before you know it. I haven't spent any time focusing on the advertising of this series just yet. Once the site goes public, then I will advertise.

Good luck in your future competitions!

Sounds good. That's the time I shell out for all my dg yearlies.
If you do any print ads let me know and I may help spread em.