• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "P" in PDGA...

There is very much a "be careful what you wish for" element to this that is not often talked about. Disc golf has grown on the backs of 100's of local clubs, and right now those local clubs pretty much run all PDGA events. If real money flows into disc golf, I think one of the first things that will happen is that those clubs will be squeezed out of large events.

I think that people underestimate the willingness of AM's to play for no payout. I agree that in the short term the current crop of competitive AM's would be turned off, but new players wouldn't be if the money raised went into providing a quality tournament. Leagues would also become much more attractive if handicapping was the norm. This is the biggest separation from Disc Golf from other games IMO. The incentive for AM's to compete is competition. Not swag.
Make personal improvement and overall experience the rewards and the ranks of willing participants for larger events will grow as well.

thank you your posts Threeputt

and my favorite softball player is Debbie Doom.

I think the PDGA is afraid that if they mandated a cut in the AM payout that a) the short term loss of those AM's membership fees would be financially crippling and b) TD's would just stay with the current payout system and compete against the PDGA with non-sanctioned events. So nothing really would change and the PDGA would be broke. :(

Oh, and I'll go with Dot Richardson for favorite softball player. Unless the King and His Court count; Eddie Feigner was amazing, and the dude was in his late 50's by the time I saw him pitch. Struck out everybody.

i had a picture.. but it wouldnt work..

Last edited:
True Story: One of the "black eye for the sport" stories from the late 70's was a tourney where some women played the 2nd round topless. Ed Headrick mentioned it to me 20 years after it happened; he still seemed pretty pissed.

The Rumble is a B tier...
Just curious about why B-Tier first time around? C-Tier would allow you to keep %15 of the entry fees.

1) George Smith is ...
Definitely going back to Columbia. Grant Hodges originally from NC lives there now and has won the last two Open events in the area. Adam Morrison will most likely be Pro by then since it's after Am Worlds... so yeah Smith, Hodges, or Morrison will take your dough back to CoMo.

2) Ber Juan is sitting on ...
See part one... C-Tier helps, but raising even more money is the key to getting your course updated. With the explosion of the sport of here in JC, our club checking account is quite substantial these days. We have enough to pay 1/2 of an entire 18 hole course. Definitely enough to update an existing course. Eldon, Mo club has enough in just a year to begin putting in tee pads. I think you guys have regular league nights, right? That's where most of our monies come from. $1 per player 2 times a week with average of nearly 25 players each time adds up quickly.

PDGA events are just big parties ....
Totally agree. I've learned quite a bit from this little thread that was misguided in its inception. Very educational.

P.S. We're gonna have a GREAT party in Jeff City come late October. PM me with your email address. I'd like to send you our sponsors letter that we just finished up this week. It's pretty much a rip-off the Joplin 4-States Open letter, but they raise a TON of cash and keep quite a bit even with the large payouts. They have made money back for the club the last few years.

Just curious about why B-Tier first time around? C-Tier would allow you to keep %15 of the entry fees.
See part someplace earlier about "throwing a bigger party than last year."

See part one... C-Tier helps, but raising even more money is the key to getting your course updated. With the explosion of the sport of here in JC, our club checking account is quite substantial these days. We have enough to pay 1/2 of an entire 18 hole course. Definitely enough to update an existing course. Eldon, Mo club has enough in just a year to begin putting in tee pads. I think you guys have regular league nights, right? That's where most of our monies come from. $1 per player 2 times a week with average of nearly 25 players each time adds up quickly.
We got hit with an insurance requirement, so we can't officially have league anymore. We could either A) keep having league as a club activity and spend ALL the money we make on it for insurance (plus some) or B) let league be an informal thing where all the money goes back to the payout. It's not a club activity; the club gets no money from it so we don't need insurance. Right now we are making zero money.

We got hit with an insurance requirement, so we can't officially have league anymore. We could either A) keep having league as a club activity and spend ALL the money we make on it for insurance (plus some) or B) let league be an informal thing where all the money goes back to the payout. It's not a club activity; the club gets no money from it so we don't need insurance. Right now we are making zero money.

How expensive was the insurance going to be?

I'm thinking that the PDGA needs two separate committees. One that represents the interests of the ams, and one to represent the concerns of the professional golfers. These two committees could then report to the BoD for oversight and direction.

I agree with this. Though, it seems like there needs to be more separation than this, even. Having one board with 2 committees will lead to a 'stealing from Peter to pay Paul' deal, depending on the board makeup, which seems to be one of the beefs with the current system.

The PGA isn't the organization you think it is, either.

The PGA is the organization of golf professionals, i.e., club pros,[/i] dedicated to "promoting the game of golf to everyone, everywhere." With the exception of four events: the PGA Championship, the Senior PGA Championship, the Ryder Cup, and the PGA Grand Slam, the PGA does not organize or host tournaments for professional golfers.

Organization of the various men's professional golf tours (PGA Tour, Champions Tour, Senior Tour, Web.com Tour, etc.) is done be the professional golfers' organization, the PGA Tour.

The split between the Golf Pros (PGA) and the Pro Golfers (PGA Tour) is reflected in the split over whether the primary focus should on education or tournament funding within the PDGA.

I think you might be missing/confusing something, here. The PGA vs. the USGA. Even bowling has a PBA and a USBA.

Or C) run it as a PDGA sanctioned league with inexpensive or free insurance coverage.

Let the manufacturers bear the burden of pro sponsorship and lets not kid ourselves about spectators when even actual players don't stay to spectate the final 9.

Or C) run it as a PDGA sanctioned league with inexpensive or free insurance coverage.
Is the PDGA thing still singles leagues only? We asked our local players about going the PDGA route when the league thing came up last year, and the overwhelming majority said they really didn't want to join the PDGA just to play in league and they absolutely would not join the PDGA league to play in a donation league where they had no shot at winning. We don't have enough players to offer divisions (we get 6-8 players a week.) The players we have like random-draw doubles so that they can roll the dice that they will draw one of the three guys who have a shot at carrying them to a win.

If the PDGA would sanction random-draw doubles we might be able to get 10 guys to join so we could have an affiliate club. There seemed to be a big hang-up about rating them; just call them X tier leagues and don't rate them. By not allowing the random draw league, the PDGA league wasn't an option for us, our local players are not joining the PDGA and we don't have an affiliate club. :thmbdown:

Latest posts