• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The power zone, weight shift, and run up: how it works

JoshEpoo

* Ace Member *
The biggest problem I see with people who are struggling with their distance, but have already worked on the hammer drills, is their run up and weight shift. You can get the disc up to the power zone and still have a weak throw if you don't get it up there before you shift your weight and open your hips. The timing is the key, and most people's run ups completely prevent the proper timing.

In an effort to throw farther, lots of people seem to think a fast run up is the way to go. What this usually causes is a lack of loading up the back leg and rotation of the left hip (for a RHBH'er). This in turn results in a complete lack of weight shift and a huge loss of power. This is why many people strong arm the disc out there. They never get their weight behind the disc.

You have to get the disc up to the power zone while your weight is still mostly loaded on your back leg and your shoulders are either still closed a bit or neutral.

At that point the sequence of acceleration triggers and power is transferred both forward, by the weight shift, and around your rotational axis, by opening the hips > shoulders> forearm > wrist assembly.

Just throwing it out there.

Guess I should note that I am working on a modified right pec drill with some locals that will help emphasize this concept, hope to get it filmed soon. Kind of emulates Barry Schultz's throw with a weird reach around instead of a reach back.

Here's how I see it using an X step on a backhand throw:

Keep your throwing hand over your lead foot (if you're a right handed thrower, your right foot), as you pull your other foot behind it, the position of your hand will naturally be in the "ready" position, and as your lead foor swings around, keep your hand and your foot in the same relative position, and your hand will naturally swing around with it, maximizing the weight transfer across your body and into your throwing motion.

Hey Josh, is this another way of saying don't start the pull too early? I find when I wait a half a beat later in starting my pull it helps tremendously! And as a corollary, I almost never find that I start the pull too late, resulting in a shot that goes left. Does that seem on track with what you've found?

And what about the timing of the shoulder turn? I kind of think that doing a full shoulder turn and reachback (the two go hand in hand) actually helps with not pulling too soon because the extra rotation takes a split second longer and delays the pull. Conversely, doing a shorter reachback for a shorter shot is harder because u really have to slow down your turn. What do u think?

Hey Josh, is this another way of saying don't start the pull too early? I find when I wait a half a beat later in starting my pull it helps tremendously! And as a corollary, I almost never find that I start the pull too late, resulting in a shot that goes left. Does that seem on track with what you've found?

Pretty much. Pulling too early usually results in trying to muscle or strong arm the disc which invariably leads to terrible form, accuracy and release. Start consciously using your throwing arm once it reaches your pectoral. Your glutes and hips should begin the throwing motion.

At least that's what works for me :rolleyes:

Guess I should note that I am working on a modified right pec drill with some locals that will help emphasize this concept, hope to get it filmed soon. Kind of emulates Barry Schultz's throw with a weird reach around instead of a reach back.
I'm all for this, especially if you call it the "reach around" drill.

I said you reach around like Barry Schultz, not with him, you pervs.

What I hope this drill will do is help people incorporate a few natural elements of the throw into the right pec drill to help understand it and get better results. There should be no doubt in your mind that you are doing the right pec drill correctly. If you have to ask, it means you're not getting it. Yet, I still see a lot of people asking.

Most people look so rigid while trying to do it, standing there completely still and then just attempting to hit the gas. What I'm working on involves swinging the disc into the right pec position while you transfer your weight onto your back foot, WITHOUT ever taking your elbow too far away from it's stopping position out ahead of you by using the REACH AROUND!

It gets the back foot loaded up and the disc into the right pec position and allows for a much more natural weight shift, shoulder rotation, and elbow chop all the while keeping your body loose and fluid. It explains a few sources of power than Beto naturally took advantage of, and are actually visible in his demos, but didn't fully explain. A few missing pieces of the puzzle.

It won't explain anything related to the hammer drills though.

I was totally serious. It sounds like a great drill especially if it focuses around getting the feel for doing it right rather than saying what positions to get into (pun intended) to do it "right." That part of the throw can be difficult to get without help (all I got was, "add in some reach back, that might make it easier to get the 'flow'").

I just also happen to like that the most accurate description for the drill happens to be a double entendre.

I am one of those people who asked how the RPD should feel. I await this drill with enthusiasm

Meh, sounds like you're just talking about torso rotation to me. Lol. Not the point of the Pec drill. But, is often what Blake told many people to do if they couldn't get a feel for the pec drill from a dead stand still. Leg, Hip, and torso rotation allows you to throw an extra 50-100ft on top of the pec drill, lol. All of which can be done from a standstill.

I said you reach around like Barry Schultz, not with him, you pervs.

What I hope this drill will do is help people incorporate a few natural elements of the throw into the right pec drill to help understand it and get better results. There should be no doubt in your mind that you are doing the right pec drill correctly. If you have to ask, it means you're not getting it. Yet, I still see a lot of people asking.

I don't think I could get drilled by barry shultz... and the drill sounds great.