• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] The Putt or Approach Dilemma

others have said it, but i will too.

the lie and the lay of the basket will tell me how and what to throw from 100' and in.

danger behind basket- anhyzer putt with a "dead" putter. usually my rhyno or glow wizard that just go in or stop dead. the anyhyzer will let it flop down and not roll away.

wide open- beat z comet. i just putt with it and it glides that extra 20' where a putter would break.

up or downhill lie- i use a straddle putt to heave it up or let it drop. my spin putts want to roll off a hill.

30' and in- $, i dont even think about it. just 1-2-3 bam, chains.

I used to struggle with this range, and there are two specific shots I developed to use in this situation.

The first is the jump putt. With some practice, it is possible to jump putt over 100' with very good accuracy (For me at least). Jump putts can be approaches too. In some situations I'll use a jump putt and go for the base of the pole, because I feel like it will be my most accurate approach shot. Also, once you get good at adjusting hyzer angles and whatnot, you can safely run those 100' shots and have a chance to sink them. Come back putts on a miss jump putt should never be outside 10', so its not even something you need to think about.

The second shot is a standstill flick. I use a neutral putter for this like my Ions or an Envy. Just point the shoulder off your off arm towards the basket, keep you feet firmly planted and your eyes on the target, and just use a little wrist flick. You do not need a full swing or anything close to it, just a little wrist flick and some elbow action is all it takes to flick something under 100'. This is an incredibly valuable shot to have, especially once you learn how to add subtle amounts of hyzer or anhyzer to get around obstacles or compensate for wind.