• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The real first course

just before someone calls me out on it, I'm aware that the course established date on this site for my Redan course is 1989..... I just scouted all the courses in GA and found 1989 to be the oldest for 3 courses, Redan, Pendleton King (in augusta), and Wills park not too far from Redan. I just cant believe that 1989 is right for redan, there is a group of old timers there that I talked to once, and when they asked my age they said they had been playing there longer than I had been alive, and I was born in '85.

IDK, but ima find out when the first International Tourney was held in Augusta, b/c I know that Augusta is HUGE for both ball and disc golf, the state has seen the course number double in the past 5 years or so, and Steady Ed's memorial course is located near Augusta. I'd say that behind CA, NY, TX, and IN, Georgia has to be in the top 5 most important states for DG. Challenge me, I dare you

Challenge accepted. How are you defining "important state" for this oh-so important top 5 list?

Ok.. I'm bored today, so I took up the 'second-oldest course' challenge.. Here's what I found:

1). Disc Golf history for 1975-1980 is really poor. There's very little factual evidence to support any claim for 'second-oldest course'. Even the PDGA site may not be correct on that early history, and further it's often hard to distinguish between permanent and temporary courses, and the year a course was designed vs. when it was 'installed'.

2). The PDGA lists five courses as installed in 1976:

Beaver Brook DGC North Monmouth, Maine
Brahan Springs Park Huntsville, Alabama
Cornwall Park
La Mirada Regional Park La Mirada, California
Tourist Park Cedar Falls, Iowa

3). Two courses claim the title of 'second-oldest course': Huntington Beach, with the sign previously mentioned in this thread, and Sedgley Woods (part of East Fairmount Park) in Philadelphia, PA. Both were (really) installed in 1977.

4). The earliest mention of a course (other than Oak Park) I could find was Ellison Park in Rochester NJ. This course was definitely in use in 1975, although it may not have had permanent baskets until several years later.

5). Tom Monroe, of former World Champion fame, has a list of courses he designed available online. It includes:

1974 University of North Alabama , Florence Al.
1975 City Park, Muscle Shoals , Al.
1976 Styx River KOA, with Ed Headrick
1976 Brahan Springs, Huntsville, redone by Ed Headrick
1976 Municipal Park, Mobile, Al.
1976 Ft. Blank Navy Base, S.C.
1976 UNCC, Charlotte N.C.
1976 Centennial Park, Nashville Tn.
1976 Ladda Park, Charlotte, N.C.

6). Beaver Brook Campground (the location of the course) was established in 1975. There is no data available as to the precise install date of the disc golf course there, however.

7). I've confirmed elsewhere that Tourist Park was definitely actually an installed course as of 1976.

Good on ya for looking this up; I was too lazy. I have a friend who also claims to have played in Vollrath Park, Sheboygan, Wisconsin in the 1970s....making that one of the first in my area. I believe that the course in Beloit Wis. was installed before Vollrath. Honey Bear Campgrounds (I think), in Indiana, often gets mentioned as a very early midwest course as well.

just before someone calls me out on it, I'm aware that the course established date on this site for my Redan course is 1989..... I just scouted all the courses in GA and found 1989 to be the oldest for 3 courses, Redan, Pendleton King (in augusta), and Wills park not too far from Redan. I just cant believe that 1989 is right for redan, there is a group of old timers there that I talked to once, and when they asked my age they said they had been playing there longer than I had been alive, and I was born in '85.

IDK, but ima find out when the first International Tourney was held in Augusta, b/c I know that Augusta is HUGE for both ball and disc golf, the state has seen the course number double in the past 5 years or so, and Steady Ed's memorial course is located near Augusta. I'd say that behind CA, NY, TX, and IN, Georgia has to be in the top 5 most important states for DG. Challenge me, I dare you

I was working in Atlanta in Nov./Dec. of 1987 and one Sunday I rode my mt.bike to Chastain Park to play the only course I could find in the area. Nice little 9 hole course, lots of leaves on the ground made finding discs tough on the blind downhill hole.

Heh, Gauntlet is down huh?

Challenge accepted. How are you defining "important state" for this oh-so important top 5 list?

I assume things such as history, number of courses, worldwide recognition, following, variety, landscape, and upkeep would be the criteria.

I think IN, IL, and KS would be in a dead heat tie according to what I've looked up, but I know that GA holds a very prominent place in the world disc golf community.

CA is certainly number one, and I doubt you would debate that. NY is questionable, apparently Ellison is in NJ, but the culture of disc golf started with New Yorkers. We should just start a new thread titled "MOST IMPORTANT STATES FOR FROLF" just to get the argument going. I know bias will be a huge part of it, but hey, it can be fun to debate these things. Thanks for starting the heated comments with the condescending "oh-so important"

Last edited:
I was working in Atlanta in Nov./Dec. of 1987 and one Sunday I rode my mt.bike to Chastain Park to play the only course I could find in the area. Nice little 9 hole course, lots of leaves on the ground made finding discs tough on the blind downhill hole.

Hrm, they must've taken her down, though Oregon park is nearby, it wasn't set up until much much later.

Do you know if that was the ONLY course in GA at the time? or was there anything else farther away

Don't remember. Seems like I contacted IFO (Identified Flying Objects) and John David(?) directed me to that park. I didn't have much time or a motor vehicle to scout around.

Same Chastain Park that the amphitheater is in? That was a beautiful music venue. Got to take a hot girl to see Chicago there, when in my early 20s.

Chastain Park

I had soccer practice at Chastain for years when I was a kid! Never saw a course though. Just for reference, im 30 yrs. old.

Thanks for starting the heated comments with the condescending "oh-so important"

That is just one of my many talents. Your are quite welcome! :hfive:
One day I hope to add "throwing a golf disc properly" to the list.

IL, especially the greater Chicagoland area should be in the top 5 if for no other reason that we have spent a crapload of time & money on so many poorly designed courses.

If there are aspiring course designers out there, please come by and take a look at what NOT to do when installing a new course. I am shocked to see the local park districts spend money on the baskets and everything else without thinking that maybe, just maybe it may be a good idea to bring in a professional to help design the course layout.

As to one of the more important areas for DG. The Carolinas qualify. Rock Hill, site of the USDGC is there plus the whole area is chock full of killer courses. Hornets Nest, Renny. Also, site of the 2012 Unified Worlds <Charlotte, specifically>.

Check out this thread on the PDGA boards from years ago for lots of information, opinions and research on the issue. It seems the claim of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. oldest course will always be a debatable topic.

Here is the poster I saw at Little Africa claiming to be "Since 1967"

attachment.php

(thanks to Friction for sending the picture)

Attachments

• campn 10 069.JPG
    campn 10 069.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 29
TBH im not sure about it. nobody around here has ever challenged the notion.

meh. doesnt really matter one way or the other. im surprised to see la mirada listed as established earlier than huntington.

LaMi wasn't in before HB, Chris. OG is 1st and HB was barely second. Don't worry what the "internet geniuses" are sayin'. I was born before '76 and, just like the other ol guys in SoCal (way older than me), know the truth :hfive:

Latest posts