• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

I just wanted to take the time and tell all of you that for being a Noob to disc golf there is no better place to get great info than this forum...thanks!!

My discs: (not all are in my bag)

1. Valkyrie champ (160)
2. Orc champ (167)
3. Leopard DX (160)
4. Cheetah DX (167)
5. Shark DX (160)
6. Panther champ (160)
7. Stingray DX (167)
8. Wolf DX (170)
9. Aviar P&A (175,175,150)

Not in my bag:
Orc champ (I'm going to take the minimalism into account)
Cheetah DX (was until I did some serious damage to it on jagged cart path)
Panther Champ
P&A 175,175

Luckily I have a wife that gets certain Innova discs for 1/2 price, so that is why I have some of these molds. :)

I'm thinking of adding a DX Valk to go with my champ Valk

Is there anything else I should take out due to overlapping? Adding some Roc's to the mix and pulling something else out?

Thanks

valem said:
I just wanted to take the time and tell all of you that for being a Noob to disc golf there is no better place to get great info than this forum...thanks!!

My discs: (not all are in my bag)

1. Valkyrie champ (160)
2. Orc champ (167)
3. Leopard DX (160)
4. Cheetah DX (167)
5. Shark DX (160)
6. Panther champ (160)
7. Stingray DX (167)
8. Wolf DX (170)
9. Aviar P&A (175,175,150)

Not in my bag:
Orc champ (I'm going to take the minimalism into account)
Cheetah DX (was until I did some serious damage to it on jagged cart path)
Panther Champ
P&A 175,175

Luckily I have a wife that gets certain Innova discs for 1/2 price, so that is why I have some of these molds. :)

I'm thinking of adding a DX Valk to go with my champ Valk

Is there anything else I should take out due to overlapping? Adding some Roc's to the mix and pulling something else out?

Thanks

As far as overlap is concerned, it's all completely subjective. Completely. I can match my low score almost anywhere with just a Teebird and Wizard, but I normally carry a bag with 12 discs in it. No reason other than I like to throw different molds because it's fun. Throw as few or as many as you require, and neither more nor less. :D

After some thought I'm going to go with this setup

2x Valkyrie Dx (167, 168) I'm pulling the champ Valk til I can really throw the Dx's
2x Leopard DX (160, 169)
2x Sharks DX (171, 175)
1 Panther Champ (160)
3x Aviar P&A (160,175,175)

Thinking of adding a Teebird DX

Ready to put in the bag given recommendations from you all:

Orc Champ (160)
Valk Champ (160)
Wolf DX (171)
Stingray DX (170)

I'm trying to get a roller down so I'm thinking of carrying the Stingray for those duties. How about tomahawks...Teebird??

Any feedback would be great..thanks

valem said:
After some thought I'm going to go with this setup

2x Valkyrie Dx (167, 168) I'm pulling the champ Valk til I can really throw the Dx's
2x Leopard DX (160, 169)
2x Sharks DX (171, 175)
1 Panther Champ (160)
3x Aviar P&A (160,175,175)

Thinking of adding a Teebird DX

Ready to put in the bag given recommendations from you all:

Orc Champ (160)
Valk Champ (160)
Wolf DX (171)
Stingray DX (170)

I'm trying to get a roller down so I'm thinking of carrying the Stingray for those duties. How about tomahawks...Teebird??

Any feedback would be great..thanks

Nice setup...of these the champion Orc would be the best Tomahawk disc.

I can't begin to say how much frustration and money reading this forum could have saved me in the last 2 years!!!! I got into the whole one company mindset and it had me way messed up for quite a while...all innova, all discraft, all gateway, all dga, back to discraft and on and on. Why? I had a top pro look and me and tell me I was crazy. He said I should pick the molds I liked the best from each manufacturer and throw em. So I started mixing my bag and cutting down on the number of molds. Wow! It works. Now I've had to spend some time learning or relearning molds, but I am finally starting to play better again and my back isn't sore from toting a HUGE bag crammed full of plastic I don't throw. I mean Millennium PRINTS it on their discs. Play Smart. Keep It Simple............

Triplebogey said:
Would throwing a Champ Starfire, Pro Starfire and Star SL be considered one mold??

2 Molds in my opinion - Champ is definitely more overstable then the others. The Pro Starfire and SL are practically the same disc, just different plastic.

Fritz said:
Triplebogey said:
Would throwing a Champ Starfire, Pro Starfire and Star SL be considered one mold??

2 Molds in my opinion - Champ is definitely more overstable then the others. The Pro Starfire and SL are practically the same disc, just different plastic.

It's my understanding that the Starfire and SL share the same top half of the mold, but the Pro Starfire/SL uses the new mold Beast bottom. Since they're both speed 10 discs, they feel the same in the hand.

My Pro Starfire is at max weight, and tuned overstable, it flies halfway between my Star Sl (165gr) and Champ Starfire (175gr). These 3 discs seem to represent a spectrum, intead of a distinct line between the 3 discs.

minimalism-small-bikini-demotivational-poster-1265047545.jpg

here is my bag...i'm trying to get back to minimalistic...

172g champ leopard (haven't used yet)
170g champ sidewinder
168g esp buzzz
182g dx roc (haven't used yet)
175g champ aviar

I'm trying to work on RHBH and have only been playing for about 5 months, but RHBH for only the past month. any discs or weights to reccommend? I'm trying to get to just my leopard, sidewinder, buzzz and aviar...

frolfie said:
here is my bag...i'm trying to get back to minimalistic...

172g champ leopard (haven't used yet)
170g champ sidewinder
168g esp buzzz
182g dx roc (haven't used yet)
175g champ aviar

I'm trying to work on RHBH and have only been playing for about 5 months, but RHBH for only the past month. any discs or weights to reccommend? I'm trying to get to just my leopard, sidewinder, buzzz and aviar...

You need a Firebird or Predator in your back for days when it's windy. Unless you live in the wind free utopia. Other than that you have a solid starter bag.