• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Reptilian Disc Golf Thread

Did you guys abandon using the hatching egg stamp for proto runs? I thought that was kind of cool while being on-brand.

That would be a cool one to bring back into circulation. Bar Stamps and Derpy Stego are probably my top two favorites, but I would love to see the "Craft Flying Discs" "EST 2014"
With the little rex. My first stego had that one and got eaten by a creek.

Tested my pair of production Amber Iguana a bit the last few days. They fly quite a bit like the "proto" run. They are gummier and super pearly.
The more testing I have done with my Iguana in general the more I am trusting them to turn on their own. I am throwing slight hyzer to flat and getting a gentle turn with minimal fade. Give em some air and put them on a turnover and they are holding on just enough to land soft and flat. Distance wise they are going as far as most anything, a few feet shorter than a buzzz, or something that glides crazy like an origin. They go as far as a clean comet, but don't require quite as much air underneath it.
I am down to only 3 mids in the bag for most rounds. Fresh Amber Gila, Beat Armor Gila and an Iguana. The shots the Origin may have come out for are easily covered by the flippy crave. Justice slot until wind is crazy or I want ground play, a fresh Gila handles no problem, just needs a touch more hyzer. Komodo takes care of the ground play plenty.

And I am adding to this thread instead of the Iguana thread because I have been throwing my Chameleons a ton too.
My initial throws with the Nylon I was seeing more turn that I have been lately. I am considering it almost a whole tick more high speed stable than my ambers. It's very much like an Orc or a stable run of CD2, the ones that overlapped my straighter PDs and made me confused. I took my straight pred out of the bag for now because I am throwing my Nylon Chameleon so much. Its very similar speed and glide to the worn in pred, holds turn easier and fades a touch less. On a sweeping hyzer the two performed quite similarly. This is not testament that the Chameleon is OS in Nylon, its still very much an Eagle type stability, just faster. If the Amber is and Eagle-L the Nylon is like a couple week old Eagle-X. I cover so much with those two discs. They keep up distance wise with what you expect from a 9-10 speed. 9-10 speed has been my sweet spot for years (Orc was my first disc), the Chameleon covers the slower spot better than most anything I have tried. An absolutely trashed Z pred is about all I can think of that I have thrown that flys 7 speed shots better with this size rim. The craves are there because the Chameleon fades and Craves don't.

TLDR: Chameleons and Iguana are both awesome and have taken over the core of my bag. Pred, Chameleon x2, beat Crave, Gila, Iguana and Putter's for putting is probably all I really need since the Chameleon and Iguana both are so versatile. I don't remember being this confident with discs in this short of time since I was in my early 20s and throwing in the field for hours a day.

Just placed a big RDG order for my tournaments next weekend players packs. Im excited to see how the people react to them. I think the new plastics will be really popular with the players.

Just placed a big RDG order for my tournaments next weekend players packs. Im excited to see how the people react to them. I think the new plastics will be really popular with the players.

Stock stamps I assume? That's pretty sweet. I am excited to hear how they are received.

I have toyed with the idea of putting together a 3 disc challenge somewhere in the north Denver area. Entry enough to cover the wholesale price. Offer Komodo, Chameleon, Ptero, Iguana, Gila, Serpent and Scale. Pick any 3. Add a Stego for $10. I do worry about the reception of the Scale/Serpent if peoples first impressions are trying to putt with them. I like putting serpents, but I also am cool with putting low glide putters.

Quite a few new shops have popped up in the area in the last few years but Gateway molded stuff has never taken here. I don't even see many wizards anymore. My local PIAS has gotten random orders, sold 90% of em and then not re order. I think discs like the Chameleon and Serpent along with everyone being stego curious plus how good the new blends are feeling should be enough to grab a little steady corner of the market.

Stock stamps I assume? That's pretty sweet. I am excited to hear how they are received.

I have toyed with the idea of putting together a 3 disc challenge somewhere in the north Denver area. Entry enough to cover the wholesale price. Offer Komodo, Chameleon, Ptero, Iguana, Gila, Serpent and Scale. Pick any 3. Add a Stego for $10. I do worry about the reception of the Scale/Serpent if peoples first impressions are trying to putt with them. I like putting serpents, but I also am cool with putting low glide putters.

Quite a few new shops have popped up in the area in the last few years but Gateway molded stuff has never taken here. I don't even see many wizards anymore. My local PIAS has gotten random orders, sold 90% of em and then not re order. I think discs like the Chameleon and Serpent along with everyone being stego curious plus how good the new blends are feeling should be enough to grab a little steady corner of the market.

Yes, the timeline was too tight to do a custom stamp, and I wanted a variety of molds. I'm fundraising to get baskets at my course so I actually am doing a two disc challenge on one day where people can get a Stego or Gila in Tarpit and one of the komodo/Chameleon/Iguana/Ptero in amber/armor and play with just those, so it will be fun to see how people do with them.

I think the Chameleon has a chance to be a huge hit, as well as the mids.

Chameleon, especially with the different plastic options, fills a slot just about everyone bags. I could se an Armor being a great distance driver for slower arms. It surprises me how far it goes sometimes. They fill the longer workable fairway slot so well for everyone else. Its a class of disc everyone should bag, and probably has always been my favorite. I would say they can compete with CD2, Beast/Orc, Undertaker, Escape, Lots, OLF... I think once I have a broken in Nylon (which looks like it will take a good amount of time) I will be the happiest I have been with the slot in a very long time.

I think the Chameleon has a chance to be a huge hit, as well as the mids.

The Gila/Iguana is such a good pair. Speed and carry of a modern mid and versatility of a classic. The fact they have a bead at all, much less a such a prominent bead, seems to turn off a lot of people. I get people to try em' and the response is usually "that looks funky, **** it flys good, wow Forehand feels alright even with that bead". My goal is to have everyone I meet who throws a comet to try the gila and iguana.

The Gila/Iguana is such a good pair. Speed and carry of a modern mid and versatility of a classic. The fact they have a bead at all, much less a such a prominent bead, seems to turn off a lot of people. I get people to try em' and the response is usually "that looks funky, **** it flys good, wow Forehand feels alright even with that bead". My goal is to have everyone I meet who throws a comet to try the gila and iguana.

You're dead on with this point.

The big honkin' Bead definitely makes these molds appear to be hard to forehand. Very misleading bc the Gila is the best forehand mid I've thrown.

I am still elated that we were able to acquire the Iguana bc it makes our mid duo something special.

You're dead on with this point.

The big honkin' Bead definitely makes these molds appear to be hard to forehand. Very misleading bc the Gila is the best forehand mid I've thrown.

I am still elated that we were able to acquire the Iguana bc it makes our mid duo something special.

I was thinking it might be difficult to FH, but it's shallow enough you don't even really feel it. It stepped right into the slow I've thrown the Bard/Middy in the past.

My flat armor Gila is right there with a just right flat lucid verdict as my favorite FH mid I have thrown. I can trust it more than a demon despite not being as OS because the grip and HSS flight.
So many people FH zones and drivers but are scared of the discs in between.

Same here, I'd end up going Gila/Iguana probably or maybe Chameleon/Iguana. Set it up like the old Vibram Birdie Bashes and you'll be all set.

We're playing through my newly created course with a choice of; Gila/Stego and Gila/Iguana/Chameleon/Komodo/Carnivore

I am very curious to see what people choose and why. Since I designed it and know the holes, I would probably go Stego/Iguana for the shot shapes. I would probably advise most people to do Gila/Chameleon, but I'm thinking a lot of people may go Carnivore since they think they will need more speed(at this course they do not).

Latest posts