• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] The River

The river has a big diameter which let's the wind have it way with it. That said a 175 river opto would be better than what your throwing now. I like mine for tailwind shots.

I think there is a little more to it than just size. The Warship is slightly bigger and it will handle wind much better and with ease. IMO, the River is great as long as you recognize its limitations and use it accordingly. Keep it in the bag when its over 15mph unless driving downwind.

I've recently started throwing Rivers for my stable/understable slot. Still dialing them in, but I can already see why people like them so much. Plus, their sensitivity to nose angle has been giving me some much-needed help with my form issues.

Right now, I have a 163 GL, a 166 GL, and a beat 170 TM, all of which get whipped around pretty badly in the wind. I was wondering if a max weight River (in Opto, maybe?) would be appreciably better in the wind. Anyone have any experience with this? I know they're not wind discs because of the glide, but it'd be nice to have a River that could hold its own in a light wind, if such a thing exists.

I use a 173 GL River for most tees, its phenomenal. But, I threw a round yesterday at Cameron Park (Waco,Tx) and went to the River on an open windy hole, threw it with a good amount of hyzer, and it still flipped OB on me.

I love the River, but the Eagle seemed to be a better choice for me into light/medium wind. The Eagle is a similar speed to the River and battles through the wind better IMO.

Eagle/River combo wont fail you! (just the experience of this idiot :D)

From the sound of things, while it seems like a max weight Opto River would handle wind better than what I'm throwing now, it probably wouldn't be notably better. Or at least, not appreciably enough to warrant carrying another disc specifically for this role. At least for me, since I would like to keep me bag as small as I possibly can at the moment.

I love the River, but the Eagle seemed to be a better choice for me into light/medium wind. The Eagle is a similar speed to the River and battles through the wind better IMO.

Eagle/River combo wont fail you! (just the experience of this idiot :D)

I think this is a good suggestion. I currently throw Cyclones, which fly similar to an Eagle, but unfortunately don't seem to be quite as adept at handling wind. Still, the two molds seem to pair well, and I have my Banshee for heavier wind days. That being said, the idea of potentially replacing both Cyclones and Banshees with the Eagle is an attractive one, so I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind.

The Saint is an interesting idea, and one I hadn't considered. I've been loathe to attempt to throw molds faster than 7, but maybe I'll try the Saint out, since, as throwfromthewoods so eloquently put it, "Awesome doesn't have a power requirement."

Edit to add: I think I would prefer the River over the Saint overall, given the River's relative understability compared to the Saint. I'd like as significant a difference as possible between it and more OS drivers like Eagles/Cyclones/Banshees/etc.

i dont know about the new run, but the earlier runs of max weight GL (178g) were very overstable compared to other rivers.

From the sound of things, while it seems like a max weight Opto River would handle wind better than what I'm throwing now, it probably wouldn't be notably better. Or at least, not appreciably enough to warrant carrying another disc specifically for this role. At least for me, since I would like to keep me bag as small as I possibly can at the moment.

based on your earlier post I would suggest you drop the TM River or one of your lighter GL's

you have 3 discs there that will essentially do the same thing

the TM is very US and you have 2 quite light GLs that will also perform the same

drop one of the GLs or the TM and add a heavy Opto River

IMO (and likely others) you will see a notable difference in the flight of them

then for true HW duties add something like a Trident, XXX, Banshee, Firebird, Predator

Definitely don't bag all three Rivers. The TM is really beat, and flies way more US than the GLs, so I'm currently carrying that and the 163 GL. Snagged the 166 GL strictly for backup purposes and field work. Once I develop a better relationship with the disc and can do more with it, I'll probably drop the TM completely, but for now it flies different enough that it's worth carrying.

Light GL River/Heavy Opto River/Champ Banshee is a possibility. I'd be curious to see how that stacks against my current River/Cyclone/Banshee. Would be worth ordering an Opto to test it out.

Yes, especially since you could drop a disc from your bag that has such a different rim feel than the rest of your discs...kind of like throwing all beaded or beadless mids.

I have 3 different GL Rivers. The one in my bag is about to come out bc it is to flippy. Is there any way to tell without going out and throwing them, which one is going to be the least flippy. Maybe the size of the dome or the parting line, or something. I really like the disc when I throw it right but the one I have in the bag is not forgiving and most of the time i gte punisher for throwing it

Heavy Opto and domey seems to resist flipping better...ish. Dialing back on the power will do more than any change. They don't react well to max power if you have a strong arm. 75-80% or even less if you are a freak of nature with a howitzer for an arm.;) Try dialing it back some and see if it flips as much. You could always tune it to OS a little as well.

The last 3 Rivers I ordered (2 gl, 1 sparkle opto, all around 170) from Community Discs have had some dome and a lower PLH than my flat/flippy ones, but fly more stable, very Leopard-like, but not as stable as a max wt. Opto. I pulled my white GL out for a dayglo (because, snow) and I'm really liking it paired with my flippy flatter GL and some Teebirds. All three are visually identical, and the two I've thrown fly the same.

Latest posts