• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] The River

What about opto rivers?

Here is the big problem a lot of people have with Latitude. In a bunch of cases, their discs are so touchy or "unique" in flight characteristics, that the Opto and GL counterparts are almost entirely different discs. A heavy Opto River has a lot more controllable stability. It fights out of the turn when thrown flat and has enough height. Whereas a light GL River is similiar to a 155+ Opto Diamond.

Unless you're really familiar with the nuances of the Latitude line, it's easy to get frustrated. I got lucky and found a River that I can work magic shots with. If I lost it, I'd have trouble finding one with the same sweet spots for me.

Here is the big problem a lot of people have with Latitude. In a bunch of cases, their discs are so touchy or "unique" in flight characteristics, that the Opto and GL counterparts are almost entirely different discs. A heavy Opto River has a lot more controllable stability. It fights out of the turn when thrown flat and has enough height. Whereas a light GL River is similiar to a 155+ Opto Diamond.

Unless you're really familiar with the nuances of the Latitude line, it's easy to get frustrated. I got lucky and found a River that I can work magic shots with. If I lost it, I'd have trouble finding one with the same sweet spots for me.

Echoing this...

I too was lucky to find a River that I can work disc golf magic with. It took a few tries (Opto, GL, Domey, Flat, light weight, heavy, etc.) but once it clicked I knew I had found my go to disc! Still have that baby in my bag, going on two years. I have back ups, but I'm not 100% sure they will be able to fill the shoes though.

I would suggest that if you try just one River, you may be limiting your options. Also give it some time too, it took me a while to dial Lat discs in. More finesse than power!

Finally got a chance to get out and throw this bad boy, and I'm diggin' it! :thmbup:

This one is 167, and as you can see it's got a nice dome to it. Nice and stable for me, too. I could work a nice hyzer or a sweeping anny - or dead straight on a low-ceiling shot. And this color really pops!

8242828092_81acbdedef_c.jpg

8241759607_1bdc5f3771_c.jpg

8242828534_419516c1b2_c.jpg

I fell back in love with the River after testing it against the Amp. This disc is just so buttery smooth. I ordered a blue Opto (since I was dumb enough to sell my green sparkle Opto) and one of the dayglos like above. I cannot freakin' wait to have this disc back in the bag. I'll be rotating through four of them - 3 GL (swirly orange, white, dayglo) and an Opto. Paired with a couple of Teebirds, I am ready to disc it down to speed 7s and carve it up a bit more.

Also, anyone seen any of the silver swirls lately? I passed on one of those in person awhile back and am constantly kicking myself for it. Those are my favorite.

Also, anyone seen any of the silver swirls lately? I passed on one of those in person awhile back and am constantly kicking myself for it. Those are my favorite.

I have a quicksilver shifty Flow, but I've never seen a River in that color. (Not saying they don't exist, though.)

I remember seeing a super swirly silver awhile back at DGW when I got the 2 that are in my bag now. I remember debating whether to pick up the sliver or the purple that I got (along with a pearl white, w/ an orangish burst in the middle). Nothing close the old swirls the last time I was in, though, and definitely no colorshift.

Some of the colors of the new GL really pop. The dayglo is sweet and I remember seeing a tangerine that was unlike any color I've ever seen a disc molded in. Kinda like 1970's dishwasher color. Not quite orange, not quite yellow, not red.... something in between. The color looked kinda matte, but with a deep layer of glossy lacquer on the top, if that makes sense. Like a clear coat over a good paint job. I might have to go back and get that one, now that I think about it.

The plastic feels as good as ever, but I miss the swirls. :(

Swirly GL plastic is a visual treat. Never threw one, but I admire them :cool:

My most recent River purchases (first pic) have been a 169 Opto and a couple GLs, 167 and 170. I've taken the Opto (Orange "sparkle") and the 167 gl (day glo just like the one pictured) out for rounds, and I'm not seeing that the opto is more stable vs the GL. They have very uniform PLHs and domes across all three, and the flights don't differ.

I'm still rocking older Rivers in my bag (second pic). A very stable Opto (sold off my other stable optos... almost curious to try a newer 175 to see if they're still coming out beefy) and a couple flat GL's. A very straight white one, and blue with a wonderful faster-stingray type flight.

I don't have the money to see if the recent run is more uniform across weight/plastics, but from the 3 I have it seems likely?

Attachments

• IMG_20121218_220508.jpg
    IMG_20121218_220508.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20121218_221839.jpg
    IMG_20121218_221839.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 30
I am really, really digging that day-glo river.

I have 2 albatrosses, 2 bubblegum pinks, and a swirly, pearly baby blue GL.

I love the river... and now I want me some day-glo Rivs.

I've recently started throwing Rivers for my stable/understable slot. Still dialing them in, but I can already see why people like them so much. Plus, their sensitivity to nose angle has been giving me some much-needed help with my form issues.

Right now, I have a 163 GL, a 166 GL, and a beat 170 TM, all of which get whipped around pretty badly in the wind. I was wondering if a max weight River (in Opto, maybe?) would be appreciably better in the wind. Anyone have any experience with this? I know they're not wind discs because of the glide, but it'd be nice to have a River that could hold its own in a light wind, if such a thing exists.

I've recently started throwing Rivers for my stable/understable slot. Still dialing them in, but I can already see why people like them so much. Plus, their sensitivity to nose angle has been giving me some much-needed help with my form issues.

Right now, I have a 163 GL, a 166 GL, and a beat 170 TM, all of which get whipped around pretty badly in the wind. I was wondering if a max weight River (in Opto, maybe?) would be appreciably better in the wind. Anyone have any experience with this? I know they're not wind discs because of the glide, but it'd be nice to have a River that could hold its own in a light wind, if such a thing exists.
Rivers into the wind or crosswind is tricky!

With a tailwind they go for miles. I would use an Opto Saint if wind is higher than the River can handle. Into a headwind the Saint will act somewhat like a River in my experience.

If it's more than 10 mph I would not use a River.

for reference a domey 174 Opto River will not fly like the 3 referenced by Qikly

it will be much more HSS and have some fade

I would suggest that you should try a heavier and domier Opto River it should perform better than what you currently have in a mild wind but like JJ said don't expect it to work miracles in a heavy wind

I think you can also "put a lot more" into your throw with a heavier Opto

Rivers into the wind or crosswind is tricky!

With a tailwind they go for miles. I would use an Opto Saint if wind is higher than the River can handle. Into a headwind the Saint will act somewhat like a River in my experience.

If it's more than 10 mph I would not use a River.

Yeah, that was the sense I had gotten: that the mold itself wouldn't handle very well in a cross- or headwind. I'm still pretty new, maxing out around 300' or so, so I'm probably going to avoid the Saint for the time being, as I likely don't have the arm for it yet. Although tangentially, I have toyed with the idea of buying an Opto Air Saint for distance driving just for kicks. Wouldn't much help in the wind, however. :p

for reference a domey 174 Opto River will not fly like the 3 referenced by Qikly

it will be much more HSS and have some fade

I would suggest that you should try a heavier and domier Opto River it should perform better than what you currently have in a mild wind but like JJ said don't expect it to work miracles in a heavy wind

I think you can also "put a lot more" into your throw with a heavier Opto

Sounds like it still might be worth picking up a heavier Opto on down the line as I confirm that Rivers are in the bag to stay. Right now I basically rule out using mine if there's nary a breeze. A heavier one should at least extend the contexts within which I can use a River a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Absolutely, get a Saint or 10. :thmbup: I am back down to 300' and under due to injuries and the Saint is my mainstay. I find it to be a much more reliable line shaper than the River, though my new neon green River is proving to be a winner on those lines as well....there is just the wind issue to deal with ....enter the Saint. :thmbup: By all means, get a Saint if you like the River.

FWIW, your power will do just fine with the Saint. They power up and down nicely. Lower power throws with the Saint make the best line shapers for me anyway. Its amazing what that disc can do once you learn what it will and won't do. ;)

I've seen Rivers thrown into a head wind hover, then crash and burn.

Still, a line drive might make some headway....

Latest posts