• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] The River

I took the dayglo out for a Sunday round. Warm, foggy; grey skies and dead trees as far as the eye can see... pulled this disc out and about blinded myself!

The pics above are just what mine is like, as well as the (lightish) blue one that came with it, they're twins but for the color.

So I gave in, and bought a 170g GL river...Love it!!! Can't get enough of it. so much that I prefer it even on big drives. Definately has a place in my bag. I'm getting a 175g opto to get the overstable part down, and now am thinking of going light GL for a easy hyzer flip to turn disc. Am I going to see a notable difference if I go down to 167g, or should I keep searching for a 165g...and for those that have the lighter GLs...what do you think

So when the Black Friday sale was on I picked up a bunch of discs I wanted to try out, the River being one of them.

I haven't had a chance to throw it, work and abysmal weather has made it difficult.

I'm wondering if this will overlap the Amp. It definitely has more glide though.

The River could be the consumate 'control driver' because of it's larger diameter and slower speed combined with superb glide. Too bad River stability is all over the place, especially in Opto. I've had a 162g GL, 168g GL, and 169g Opto. Both GL's were nice flyers, but useless in windy conditions. The Opto was like a totally different disc, quite overstable.

That could be quite good news to me, actually. I carry 2 GL rivers. A 167 beat to hold a turn to the ground when thrown flat and a 172 that's the straightest fairway I've ever thrown.

I love 'em. They're so comfy in the hand and just fly so well so easily. I do wish that I had a more overstable compliment to the two that I carry, though. Then I could carry fewer molds, but still cover those shots that require a bit more stability than what I'm throwing.

I use a seasoned teebird for those shots now, that need to be straight and finish with some left low speed fade. It seems like I have to throw it a lot harder to get it out to where why Rivers would normally just glide out to with a smooth easy toss. The rims on the River just seems to fit my hand just right, with a little + style, but not as severe as the angle on Innovas + molds. They just come out clean. I may have to pick up a couple of heavier Optos and see if they fit the bill. If they fly like a seasoned Teebird out of the box, then winner, winner for sure.

I've dropped all but my first Opto River. They're killer for holding long hyzers and can take a lot more power before flipping than the GLs, very useful, but I found my Opto Rivers and GL Saint overlapped.

That could be quite good news to me, actually. I carry 2 GL rivers. A 167 beat to hold a turn to the ground when thrown flat and a 172 that's the straightest fairway I've ever thrown.

I love 'em. They're so comfy in the hand and just fly so well so easily. I do wish that I had a more overstable compliment to the two that I carry, though. Then I could carry fewer molds, but still cover those shots that require a bit more stability than what I'm throwing.

I use a seasoned teebird for those shots now, that need to be straight and finish with some left low speed fade. It seems like I have to throw it a lot harder to get it out to where why Rivers would normally just glide out to with a smooth easy toss. The rims on the River just seems to fit my hand just right, with a little + style, but not as severe as the angle on Innovas + molds. They just come out clean. I may have to pick up a couple of heavier Optos and see if they fit the bill. If they fly like a seasoned Teebird out of the box, then winner, winner for sure.

Heavier AND domey Opto River should fit what you're looking for. Little to no turn and healthy fade. Stay away from the flat Optos. I also had a 165g Opto which I forgot to mention that was pretty flat and it was very squirrely...couldn't even get a reliable hyzer shot with it, it would flip up and track straight to slightly right...even in no wind.

I have a river in the bag and really want to like it but it is SUPER flippy. It is a GL river around 170 and I have a hard time controlling it. I try to throw it flat and it just turns and burns. I am sure there is some OAT but not much. I am wondering are al GL river super flippy? I have a couple back ups and am thinking a newer one might not be as flippy and better for the shots I am looking to throw

I have a river in the bag and really want to like it but it is SUPER flippy. It is a GL river around 170 and I have a hard time controlling it. I try to throw it flat and it just turns and burns. I am sure there is some OAT but not much. I am wondering are al GL river super flippy? I have a couple back ups and am thinking a newer one might not be as flippy and better for the shots I am looking to throw

Rivers are not meant to be thrown flat. Especially not GL Rivers. Hyzer only for straight drives. They're almost EXTREMELY nose angle sensitive. Keep the nose slightly down, snap it out at a hyzer and watch it fly.

I'll pay good money for a lava colorshift River. I have had a chance to throw my new one a little bit and really like it. Feel free to PM if anyone has any cool looking rivers for sale or trade....

Rivers are not meant to be thrown flat. Especially not GL Rivers. Hyzer only for straight drives. They're almost EXTREMELY nose angle sensitive. Keep the nose slightly down, snap it out at a hyzer and watch it fly.

I'll have to keep this in mind come spring as love my rivers and extra distance would be awesome!

Latest posts