• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Rumble 2014 - 2nd Round *LIVE COVERAGE*

Did mcbeth set a new course record for the monster?

Olsen's 75 last year is the record, and is 1042 rated. Shusterick with 78 in those ridiculous wind conditions this year is amazing, and might end up with the record round rating there at 1056 (could change once PDGA makes it official).

1st off- huge kudos to Terry and Johnny V. for the great coverage. Terry is an animal, seriously. Editing all night, shooting and commentating at the same time. Impressive work.

23 hasn't changed. If you threw the big hyzer off the tee, you most likely ended up over by 2/24's tee.

The wind was absolutely insane out there, it was so much fun. I love playing a hard course and I love playing a hard course in crazy conditions like that. Upshots on 23 and 1 were so hard. I had 25 foot putts on both holes and on 23 pretty much had ZERO chance of making it. Ended on 2 with the hardest 20 footer of my life, which I missed (after a crazy difficult 75 foot upshot, which wasn't all that good). I'm just thankful that it didn't rain.

If we had conditions like last year final round, course record would have been smashed by a lot. To shoot in the 70s yesterday was quite impressive. I think AO's 75 was back in '12, last year hot round was a 76 I think?

Could somebody break down what they were arguing about at the end? I know it was about the drop zone, and the caddy book, but I'm not sure I quite get the details.

Could somebody break down what they were arguing about at the end? I know it was about the drop zone, and the caddy book, but I'm not sure I quite get the details.

it was an error/typo in the actual caddy book which was never really addressed by TD before the round to the players.

Basically the hole had a drop zone but the caddy book didn't so a couple players threw provisional shots which then became unclear which one was the right score to record.

^
It had to do with hole 23 specifically, lots of holes had a drop zone at the short tee if the drive went into the water. Uli went into the water on 23 and took his next shot from the short tee drop zone which was about 100 feet behind where his drive went out. The book wasn't specific about hole 23.

Yep, the map in the caddy book showed all drop zones correctly, including hole 23 DZ. The problem is in the listing of OB rules every hole that had a DZ stated that all drives that end up in OB must go to DZ, but there was no mention of it on hole 23. The notes just said that all drives landing in the lake are OB. Since there was no mention of going to the drop zone in the caddy book, then it's not required for the player to use the drop zone.

The discussion in the end was because apparently the TD meant for the drop zone to be mandatory, but since it was not printed in the caddy book someone was supposed to mention it in the players meeting. Nothing was said in the players meeting about it either, which is why Ulibarri was saying that him playing from where the disc went out should be the correct play.

If I'm counting my strokes correctly, he got a circle 4 playing it from where it went out, and a double circle 6 playing the drop zone.

So miserable...

Have you ever played it in 30mph winds gusting to 40? I've only played disc golf a handful of times in winds that strong, and definitely not at West Lake. That is just brutal.

I am heading out this evening about 5pm for a round and I played one yesterday around 3pm. Yesterday was 20mph and gusting to 30mph, today it's 25mph gusting to 35mph, trees are down all over the place, it's been raining for 3 days, and the temp for the past 24 hours has been between 32 and 34 degrees.

I won't say it's not frustrating, but to miss out on a learning opportunity like this could cost you at a time you really don't want to pay the bill.